Your favorite year...

That first year was so exilerating. To go from that team that was 25-57 to 27-23 and almost beating the Jazz was unbelievable. The only thing that can come close is a title.

01-02, the year we came several missed free throws from going to the NBA finals. Also, the first year the kings were here in sacramento, 86-86, they went to the playoffs that year. In the old arena, 10,333 screaming fans. If you think it was loud for the first playoff game this year, you should have been around for the first playoff game ever in Sacramento. :)

Bibby_Is_Clutch said:
All I want to know is what has been your favorite year of Kings basketball since Rick's hiring. I also want to know why you would pick that year and how you liked the lineup.

I personally dont have a favorite year... its a little hard for me to decide and chose between so many players I like and years they played but if you would like to share your thoughts please do.

Amazing how many people dont read the fine print. Isn't it?:p

Ryle said:
Um.....hello???

Was there any other year but the '01-'02 season???
That was the year that the Kings lost in the Western coference finals to the lakers. so naturally that is going to be the most memorable year. But, I also mentioned the first year the Kings were in Sacramento, 85-86.

I hate to be a bandwagoneer but it's gotta be 01-02 season...I personally never felt the love for J-Will that a lot of fans did and I was ecstatic when we traded for Bibby...for sure 01-02 season was THE BEST!! The basketball they played that I had the privilege to watch is something I will tell my kids about when they're watching basketball in 10 years....

01-02, by far. I still have tapes of some of the playoff games, watching them still gives me goosebumps. Man, that team was so good.

01-02 was great but I gotta say the 98-99 season. I loved JWill and still do although he's simmered down since then. The team was so exciting then and risque.

Wow...it's a toss-up between the 98-99 and 01-02 seasons. I guess I would pick the 98-99 season though because that was my first season as a Kings fan and I remember all the exhilaration that was spreading throughout this town, it was an amazing experience.

01/02 for sure.When I remember those moments.I woke up at like 4am and watched that final game Vs. Lakers...I was prepared to give all for that victory,but...After that game I went to school and whole day at school everone talked just about that game,about Peja's airball...I'll won't forget that season...

Sorry for the off-topic,but can somebody write Kings roster in season 01/02 to me?Thanks

Here ya go..

Through November 17 NO. PLAYER, POS. HT. WT. BORN EXP. COLLEGE
10 Mike Bibby, PG 6-1 190 May 13, 1978 4 Arizona
13 Doug Christie, SG 6-6 205 May 9, 1970 10 Pepperdine
8 Mateen Cleaves, PG 6-2 205 Sep. 7, 1977 2 Michigan State
21 Vlade Divac, C 7-1 260 Feb. 3, 1968 13
51 Lawrence Funderburke, PF 6-9 230 Dec. 15, 1970 5 Ohio State
24 Bobby Jackson, SG 6-1 185 Mar. 13, 1973 5 Minnesota
31 Scot Pollard, FC 6-11 265 Feb. 12, 1975 5 Kansas
25 Brent Price, PG 6-1 185 Dec. 9, 1968 9 Oklahoma
52 Jabari Smith, PF 6-11 250 Feb. 12, 1977 2 Louisiana State
16 Predrag Stojakovic, GF 6-9 229 Jun. 9, 1977 4
5 Hidayet Turkoglu, SF 6-8 220 Mar. 19, 1979 2
3 Gerald Wallace, SF 6-7 215 Jul. 23, 1982 R Alabama
4 x - Chris Webber, PF 6-10 245 Mar. 1,

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I'm going to go against the grain and say 2002-03.

Unlike many of the rest of you, I considered myself cautiously optimistic at best during the 2001-02 season. I didn't even allow myself to believe that we actually had a chance to beat the Lakers until after Game 5 of the WCF. I was heartbroken after we lost that series, but I was very clearly not crushed in the way that so many of the rest of you seem to be; for example, I got over Game 6 a long time ago...

Game 2, on the other hand, still makes me uneasy. Coming off our "best" season ever, I had championship aspirations for the 2002-03 season. That was the best team that we've ever had, and as we watched Chris Webber evolve into a true leader and clutch performer over the course of the season, and with no "clear" title contender, I felt that it was finally Our Time...

And then Game 2 happened...

Webber would be lost for the playoffs, and most of the following season, with a career-crippling knee injury, and we found, to our stunned surprise, that as deep as we were, we weren't prepared to win without our number one guy. That injury was the beginning of the end for Kings Basketball as we knew it, and shattered what, up until that point, could arguably be considered our best chance at a championship run.

The 2002-03 Roster:

Mike Bibby
Doug Christie
Keon Clark
Mateen Cleaves
Vlade Divac
Lawrence Funderburke
Bobby Jackson
Jim Jackson
Scot Pollard
Predrag Stojakovic
Hidayet Turkoglu
Gerald Wallace
Chris Webber

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So, with everything that happened, the year that signalled "the beginning of the end for Kings Basketball as we knew it" was your FAVORITE year?

And what's your favorite dental procedure? Root canal?

;)

My favorite year as a Kings fan?

Next year!!:D

It has been my favorite season for a LONG time. I can't wait to have a new favorite!

T

thesanityannex

not sure of the year but whatever year it was when they drafted j will. i never really had a team to root for until i saw the kings play with him. i had never seen ball movement from a team like what i witnessed. i was instantly hooked on the kings.

I felt exactly the same as S£im about 01-02 and 02-03. If I follow my response in the other thread I guess I would say that 02-03 was my favorite year. But I won't. I'd pick 01-02 because the whole year was exciting as the team kept proving over and over again that they were legitimate challengers to the Laker's reign.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
VF21 said:
So, with everything that happened, the year that signalled "the beginning of the end for Kings Basketball as we knew it" was your FAVORITE year?
Absolutely; I'm not going to let Game 2 invalidate the fact that I'd enjoyed the previous 88 games more than any other season in the sixteen years I've been a Kings fan.

01-02. That was a turning point in my life and the Kings were a huge part of it...that was a great run...does anybody have tapes of that season???

Ryan

I like turtles
#1) 2002-2003: My favorite by far. I got so much joy out of reading almost every sports writer pick us to win it all. We had some classic regular-season games between Dallas and who can forget the Christmas Day game? We were 3rd in the NBA for defense and I never got sick of Grant shouting "BLOCKED BY CLARK!"

#2) 2000-2001: My god, Webber was amazing that year averaging 27 points. It was the year we picked up BJax and Doug. There were so many classic regular season games such as when the Sixers came to Arco and Iverosn dropped 51 points. Or how about the NY game that went into overtime and Hedo took over (I think it was the same game where Larry Johnson got ejected in the first five minutes). Or how about when we went up to Portland and spanked them on NBC? Everyone thought they were going to win it all that year. And remember the Orlando overtime win? Good ol' BJax getting into a fight with T-Mac

#3) 2002-2003: Yeah, we were good.

#4) 2003-2004: I actually really enjoyed this year (up untill when Webber came back) because we faught so hard knowing we were without our superstar.

Last edited:
Mr. S£im Citrus said:
I'm going to go against the grain and say 2002-03.

Unlike many of the rest of you, I considered myself cautiously optimistic at best during the 2001-02 season. I didn't even allow myself to believe that we actually had a chance to beat the Lakers until after Game 5 of the WCF. I was heartbroken after we lost that series, but I was very clearly not crushed in the way that so many of the rest of you seem to be; for example, I got over Game 6 a long time ago...

Game 2, on the other hand, still makes me uneasy. Coming off our "best" season ever, I had championship aspirations for the 2002-03 season. That was the best team that we've ever had, and as we watched Chris Webber evolve into a true leader and clutch performer over the course of the season, and with no "clear" title contender, I felt that it was finally Our Time...

And then Game 2 happened...

Webber would be lost for the playoffs, and most of the following season, with a career-crippling knee injury, and we found, to our stunned surprise, that as deep as we were, we weren't prepared to win without our number one guy. That injury was the beginning of the end for Kings Basketball as we knew it, and shattered what, up until that point, could arguably be considered our best chance at a championship run.

The 2002-03 Roster:

Mike Bibby
Doug Christie
Keon Clark
Mateen Cleaves
Vlade Divac
Lawrence Funderburke
Bobby Jackson
Jim Jackson
Scot Pollard
Predrag Stojakovic
Hidayet Turkoglu
Gerald Wallace
Chris Webber

I actually agree....the Kings were so deep that year and were actually a very good defensive team as well. I think they were defintely expected to go to the finals until Webber's injury and after that nothing was the same again.