Yogi

The way I see it, good Yogi is superior to Mason in (a) shooting the 3, (b) pushing the pace, and (c) not over-dribbling/being ball dominant. My sense is that neither sees the whole floor particularly well (in the half court game or on the break) but Yogi really surprised me with the job he did last night. He pushes the pace similarly to Fox, and that consistency would be important. And his ability to be a real threat from anywhere on the 3 point line is an improvement over Mason. The key for Yogi is establishing a good assist to turnover ratio. I'd definitely like to see more of him over Mason, and more of him, in general, if he brings what he did last night.

I was very impressed with Ferrel's play last night. It's hard not to love the spark he brings. It's also hard not to be reminded of Isaiah Thomas, but without the prohibitively oversized chip on his shoulder. Yogi fits right in with this crew of high energy, team-oriented players. Coach had iced Yogi for quite a few games, yet he stepped back onto the court like a professional, did his work, played within the system, and put up an insanely efficient 17pts/6asts in just 16 minutes. What more could you ask of such a low-profile free agent signing? Well done, Yogi!

I get the 10 game thing, but that doesn't quite add up given that we're now 27 games into the season. Shouldn't Yogi have been given this opportunity say around 17 games ago? Just seems like odd timing.

And, while it's only one game, when you see him play like he did last night, you wonder what the deal is. Unless Yogi has been a terrible practice player, it just doesn't make a ton of sense.
I think they went with Mason to start the season because he is more of a PG & Bogie was injured. Once Bogie came back, they likely wanted to give him some time to get his legs under him. Cause Yogi is the perfect guard to playnext to Bogie.

I sure like the Yogi/Bogs combination. I want Yogi pushing the pace. I want Bogs receiving the ball on the wing and then either shooting or making a quick pass or dribble drive. Reynolds said that Yogi was playing the 2G and Bogs the point. I didn't see it that way. That ball was in Yogi's hands, he pushed it hard down the Minni throats, and got it to Bogs on the wing. Loved the way he played. He and Bogs can really relieve a lot of pressure off of Fox and this bodes well to keeping him running like the wind as we head into next year.
Here here!

Yogi was good last night. I don't think he was necessarily in the dog house. Joeger has a way of doing things so that he can keep the trust of his players. That's with consistency and providing opportunities. What you make of those opportunities are up to you, but you can't say you didn't have it or that you were treated differently.

Yogi and Mason play the same position, have the same physical stature and are fighting for the same playing time. Not much separates the two as far as physical ability goes. Mason was here last year and Yogi was not. I think it is completely fair and expected for Joeger to give Mason enough run to show what he can do and hold onto his spot, rather than immediately tossing him for the new shiny toy in Yogi. If and when the transition is made to Yogi permanently, the choice will be obvious and ample opportunities would have been had by all.

The way I see it, good Yogi is superior to Mason in (a) shooting the 3, (b) pushing the pace, and (c) not over-dribbling/being ball dominant. My sense is that neither sees the whole floor particularly well (in the half court game or on the break) but Yogi really surprised me with the job he did last night. He pushes the pace similarly to Fox, and that consistency would be important. And his ability to be a real threat from anywhere on the 3 point line is an improvement over Mason. The key for Yogi is establishing a good assist to turnover ratio. I'd definitely like to see more of him over Mason, and more of him, in general, if he brings what he did last night.
Also, he can get to the rim and score at a high rate instead of getting stuffed. He is a far superior athlete to Mason and a lot stronger

I sure like the Yogi/Bogs combination. I want Yogi pushing the pace. I want Bogs receiving the ball on the wing and then either shooting or making a quick pass or dribble drive. Reynolds said that Yogi was playing the 2G and Bogs the point. I didn't see it that way. That ball was in Yogi's hands, he pushed it hard down the Minni throats, and got it to Bogs on the wing. Loved the way he played. He and Bogs can really relieve a lot of pressure off of Fox and this bodes well to keeping him running like the wind as we head into next year.
Great post

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yogi should be getting more minutes, if he continues to play like tonight.

It was a bit strange to see Yogi all of the sudden getting so many key minutes.

I wonder if this was a showcase game for Yogi, if there is a trade in the works (i.e. for Trevor Ariza or Otto Porter?) .
I doubt it. I don't think Vlade is in any hurry to pull the trigger on a trade. I suspect we're gonna see Joerger fully assess every tool in the box before any personnel changes are made.

This team is making guards sprint the whole 48 mins. This will not last if you limit a rotation to 3 lead guards. You need 5 fresh legs rotating a fair share of minutes season round. So I don't want to ride a Mason vs Yogi for a spot topic. Coz in Joerger's system I observe it's more about Mason and Yogi rotating on that 3rd lead guard season-round in order to keep a good stock of fresh running legs.

I think we all wanted to see him play over Mason and wondered why we picked him up which was supposed to be a big deal and not play him.

I think it’s on the coach maybe thinking a need to play two players that knows our system and the tightening of the rotation and now he has gotten enough run with the team. But maybe that’s to simple of a answer because we didn’t play this offense much last year.

I often thought the last 15 or so games we needed to get a backup point guard as we were stalling out many nights with the second team on the floor. It may take me more games to change that feeling but I would be happy to see Yogi be that guy.

This team is making guards sprint the whole 48 mins. This will not last if you limit a rotation to 3 lead guards. You need 5 fresh legs rotating a fair share of minutes season round. So I don't want to ride a Mason vs Yogi for a spot topic. Coz in Joerger's system I observe it's more about Mason and Yogi rotating on that 3rd lead guard season-round in order to keep a good stock of fresh running legs.
You mean 10 fresh legs? ;)

When have you ever seen in what you would call "a sprint"? He moves in a running motion, but never have I seen a "sprint" out of him.

If the Kings, in the long run, want to decide between Yogi and Frank, what they've done lately makes a lot of sense to me. We saw for a while the team with Frank and no Yogi. Now, I presume, we're going to see a period of Yogi and no Frank.