Yogi

Anyone have some insight into why Yogi has been out of the rotation since the Denver game? I thought his perimeter defense was fantastic and on offense was pretty solid too

Anyone have some insight into why Yogi has been out of the rotation since the Denver game? I thought his perimeter defense was fantastic and on offense was pretty solid too
I think a lot has to do with Bogdan coming back and assuming backup point guard duties.

Joeger may be trying to tighten up to a 9 man rotation and he may be at 10 or 11 on the rotation.

pdxKingsFan

Hall of Famer
Really you think politics "probably" have something to do with yogi's mins? I have to say thats really out there for a veteran KF.com member.
Is it? The only other explanation I can think of is he has an unreported injury. On court he seems better than Mason to me. I like Joerger but all coaches, no matter how great, tend to like/not like guys to the detriment of their team, we saw Joerger a tad over-reliant on "his guys last season" and I'll just throw out Bill Belichick sitting Malcolm Butler in the Super Bowl as perhaps the ultimate example. And that's to say nothing of all the BS going on in the FO right now.

Is it? The only other explanation I can think of is he has an unreported injury. On court he seems better than Mason to me. I like Joerger but all coaches, no matter how great, tend to like/not like guys to the detriment of their team, we saw Joerger a tad over-reliant on "his guys last season" and I'll just throw out Bill Belichick sitting Malcolm Butler in the Super Bowl as perhaps the ultimate example. And that's to say nothing of all the BS going on in the FO right now.
I think he's just further down in the rotation.

pdxKingsFan

Hall of Famer
I think he's just further down in the rotation.
I can see scenarios where Bogs gets the "PG" minutes and Buddy and Shump/JJ or whomever are on the floor, but when Mason is in I can't help but feel like we'd be better served with Yogi most of the time. I do think Mason will be serviceable in that role down the road, but to what expense? I don't know.

Frank Mason should never play before Yogi again. Mason has had so many chances to do something and has done slightly more than nothing. Yogi at least pushes the pace, Mason just takes the air right out of our offense.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Sounds like from the coach's post-game interview he will be getting a 10 game run. Joerger did this with a few guys last year. Give one 10 games, give another guy 10 games and then evaluate and adjust.
part of why he is doing that is all the depth on the team

Yogi should be getting more minutes, if he continues to play like tonight.

It was a bit strange to see Yogi all of the sudden getting so many key minutes.

I wonder if this was a showcase game for Yogi, if there is a trade in the works (i.e. for Trevor Ariza or Otto Porter?) .

Perhaps this is a concession by Coach Joerger, since Yogi was rumored to be a Williams signing, in a attempt to mend fences? I'm sure Vlade is working hard behind the scenes to ease tension between the 2 and perhaps finally giving Yogi some burn was part of the process?

IDK, I'm just spiff balling. I have no other explanation for Yogi being buried on the bench all this time.

Perhaps this is a concession by Coach Joerger, since Yogi was rumored to be a Williams signing, in a attempt to mend fences? I'm sure Vlade is working hard behind the scenes to ease tension between the 2 and perhaps finally giving Yogi some burn was part of the process?

IDK, I'm just spiff balling. I have no other explanation for Yogi being buried on the bench all this time.
Interesting take. Yogi is fantastic though. It was a great signing. He's clearly better than Mason at this point. I think Joerger just has his way of doing things and doesn't like being ****ed with. If he wanted to give Mason an extended series of games, and then Yogi as well, so they can have a steady amount of time to try to integrate, that could be it. If you have to pick one, you don't want the other to get left behind. Maybe his way of sharing minutes was to just let one of them work for a ten game stretch, then the other. Seems odd he'd come right out and say he's our back up pg for the next ten games... unless it was his plan. Joerger doesn't seem like he'd make that decision right after a game and announce it live on air.

Maybe his way of sharing minutes was to just let one of them work for a ten game stretch, then the other. Seems odd he'd come right out and say he's our back up pg for the next ten games... unless it was his plan. Joerger doesn't seem like he'd make that decision right after a game and announce it live on air.
I get the 10 game thing, but that doesn't quite add up given that we're now 27 games into the season. Shouldn't Yogi have been given this opportunity say around 17 games ago? Just seems like odd timing.

And, while it's only one game, when you see him play like he did last night, you wonder what the deal is. Unless Yogi has been a terrible practice player, it just doesn't make a ton of sense.

I get the 10 game thing, but that doesn't quite add up given that we're now 27 games into the season. Shouldn't Yogi have been given this opportunity say around 17 games ago? Just seems like odd timing.

And, while it's only one game, when you see him play like he did last night, you wonder what the deal is. Unless Yogi has been a terrible practice player, it just doesn't make a ton of sense.

It could be one of a few things. They could have either been attempting to build the trade value of Mason before, or they are trying to build the trade value of Yogi now.

You wouldn't expect Joerger to be that predictable, would you? "OK, you guys are first off the bench for games 1-10, then you guys are first off the bench for games 11-20." I think the 10-game thing is just a rule of thumb (for Joerger) that he makes decisions about players over a number of games played, which may average 10, and not after just a 2-3 game stretch. Also, part of the reason for wanting to evaluate players after a number of games is to see how they play with different teammates. So mathematically there's no way to do this by dividing the season into perfect 10-game segments.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I sure like the Yogi/Bogs combination. I want Yogi pushing the pace. I want Bogs receiving the ball on the wing and then either shooting or making a quick pass or dribble drive. Reynolds said that Yogi was playing the 2G and Bogs the point. I didn't see it that way. That ball was in Yogi's hands, he pushed it hard down the Minni throats, and got it to Bogs on the wing. Loved the way he played. He and Bogs can really relieve a lot of pressure off of Fox and this bodes well to keeping him running like the wind as we head into next year.