Yao Ming's future with Houston (split from LAL/HOU thread)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I split this off into its own thread since I think it poses an interesting question...

I don't think Houston could get away from Yao Ming at this point, even if they wanted to - which I strongly suspect they do not. You don't put someone like Yao on the market for the Lakers or any other Western team to grab up. His upside is just too strong regardless of what downsides may come with the deal...

Well, yeah I think so. He's currently a top 5 Center in the NBA and come 2010, he most certainly will still be top 10.

Unless the injury or any other begins to hinder him, I don't see them letting him walk.

A 7'6 player that can actually play? Nah he isn't going anywhere. I (and most certainly the Rockets) wish he'd play physical more though, instead of just shooting jumpers and fadeaways

There's been informed speculation that Yao will "retire" from the NBA sooner rather than later and it's not out of the question that he might be gone in 2010. I don't recall every reason given, but it's been discussed in long threads at Clutchfans.net for at least a year. I think he's intimated or some of "his handlers" have said that he wants to return to China permanently and certainly not be a "lifer" like Dikembe Mutumbo. Yao got married about a year ago to a Chinese female athlete (around 6'4" as I recall) and I suppose they want to raise children - in China. Yao is such a national icon in his homeland that he may want to coach, concentrate on World Basketball and Olympic competition, plus he already makes multi-millions of dollars and yuan for endorsements in China, throughout the world. He'll be 29 before start of next season and I just don't see him hanging around much past age 30 - at least in the NBA.

Last edited:
Yao Ming will probably leave Houston after 2010 because there is not much future for him if he stays with the Rockets. Teams with a bonafide number #1 such as Miami (Wade) or New Orlean (CP3) or Portland (Roy) will be Yao Ming's top choices. Some will say those teams don't have much money to offer him but they can do a sign and trade with Houston if Yao Ming is determined to leave. The Rockets will do it since it is better to get something (players and draft picks) back for Yao Ming then let him go for nothing.

Yao Ming is a competitor (he stayed on court despite having to limp around all 4th quarter in game 3). Unless Yao Ming suffers a career-ending injury, he will definitely sign another contract with a team that is a title contender. Yao Ming's easy going attitude shows that he doesn't mind play the 2nd fiddle on a championship team.

Last edited:
Ming should go where lebron goes, he would be better than Big Z and they would be locks for a championship every other year. Ming is still young, and Lebron could use someone like him to match gasol

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
One problem with that idea: You have to pay at least 13 players a year. With the salaries of Lebron and Yao, no one would have anything left to pay anyone else.

The Rockets have mentioned on many occasions that they would want to keep Yao for his entire career. At 28, I think Yao has at least 5 more yrs left in the NBA. If he doesn’t mind being a less productive player as he gets older, possibly more yrs after that.

The key is that Yao Ming had said he is done with playing for China’s national team. He’s been serving his duties since he was 16 for the youth tournaments has never had an off season for the last 12 yrs. While he is perceived as injury prone, can anyone imagine how durable any other NBA big man would be if they had to play for another 3 months during the off season every single season for the last 12 yrs? I don’t think Shaq would still be in the league.

We hear all those talk about how kobe or Gasol will hold up after playing 1 summer of Olympic games, Yao has been doing it for the last 12 yrs even during his off seasons when he was playing in the CBA. There are so many tournaments other than the Olympics that he's played in through the yrs. He has not had an off season and I think starting this summer, he will get to finally have his rest and even improve on his game instead of being the anchor again to win other pointless tournament for China

^^also, all evidence seems to indicate that yao is an extremely humble and loyal type of player. i don't think he's going to bolt houston just for a shot at a championship. he's played for so many years for his national team, knowing full well that in his lifetime that they would not field a team that would ever be truly competitive with the elite teams of the world. he does it out of duty, respect, and pride for his country.

my bet is that he stays with houston, out of loyalty to the fans and to the team that selected him. it might not bring him a trophy, but i hope that he is happier knowing that he gave it his all and didn't sell out to go ride on a young superstar's coattails.

^^also, all evidence seems to indicate that yao is an extremely humble and loyal type of player. i don't think he's going to bolt houston just for a shot at a championship. he's played for so many years for his national team, knowing full well that in his lifetime that they would not field a team that would ever be truly competitive with the elite teams of the world. he does it out of duty, respect, and pride for his country.

my bet is that he stays with houston, out of loyalty to the fans and to the team that selected him. it might not bring him a trophy, but i hope that he is happier knowing that he gave it his all and didn't sell out to go ride on a young superstar's coattails.

Yes, Yao is just one of those guys that you can't hate even if you don't like the Rockets or his style of play. His loyalty is shown through his commitment for serving his country for 12 yrs. Remember, they don't get paid to play for the national team. After he became a millionaire playing in the NBA already, he still spend every summer for the last 7-8 yrs working for free in a sense. You can tell the guy is a genuine in his interviews. Yao has said himself that his loyalty is with the Rockets as well.

From a basketball standpoint, I just don't see how the Rockets would think they can find a better replacement at a position that lacks talent the most. In my book, he is the best center there is right now. You don't let a player like that walk. Even if they trade him, it would be hard to get equal value back.

From a business standpoint, the Rockets makes a lot of "extra" money from having Yao on their team. A lot of Chinese companies sponsors and advertises with the Rockets. There is a lot merchandising and broadcasting of Rockets games in China that they get a piece of.