Yao Ming, Dominant?

I'll be the first to admit it. I was a Yao hater. I never thought he amount to that much. I thought he might be a solid center in the league, and that's about it. But lately, since coming back from injury, the guy has been an absolute beast.

He averaged 22-11 and about 2 blocks per game in February.

Over his last 8 games though:

Against: Points Rebounds
LAC 29 15
GSW 22 21
Orlando 29 11
Pho 27 18
Phi 22 13
Den 21 9
Por 32 13
Min 30 13

Wow. Yao is going from being put on the A-S team every year to becoming a real star. Congrads Yao. I can't hate any more.

tonight:

38 points
10 rebounds
5 block shots

Super-star type numbers since coming back from toe surgery. Also 1 of the 4 players to average 20+points and 10+ rebounds this season.....this guy indeed outplays Shaq so far this year.

i never thought he'd live up to the hype, either. good to see him starting to assert himself more, especially with mcgrady being injured a good portion of this season.

And he does it with all the double-teaming often too....impressive.

Just strange that many coaches and players from other teams think he is so overrated....but everytime they play against him, they double him without the ball and triple team him in the paint....I mean..would you do that against a so called "most overrated player"? It's just like slapping your own face.

His rebounding could be better(over his career), but his issue is that he doen’t touch the ball enough. His FG is at around 50%, but he only averaged like 12 attempts a game the past two years. This year has been different, he's at about 15. He should be averaging 15 or more attempts. I'm not sure it's because he has played with ball dominant guards his whole career, or if it's a stamina issue. Either way, I'll quote Clyde Drexler on live TV when he said "give the ball down low to Yao... sheeiittt."

I think Houston just needs the right system and a Derek Fisher, Ric Fox, and Robert Horry to put around Yao and T-Mac and one would assume they'd be well off.

Easier said than done.

piksi

Hall of Famer
vj9999 said:
Indiana lost tonight because they had no answer for YAo. He was scoring at will against them.
actually Pacers lost because their first option is S. Jackson and their second option is A Johnson. Hard to tell which one is worse

LPKingsFan said:
I think Houston just needs the right system and a Derek Fisher, Ric Fox, and Robert Horry to put around Yao and T-Mac and one would assume they'd be well off.

Easier said than done.

Don't know about that. While Yao can certainly become dominant, especially since the real Shaq is slowing down, I don't see T-Mac even belonging in a same sentence as Kobe, let alone comparing the two.

bozzwell said:
I don't see T-Mac even belonging in a same sentence as Kobe, let alone comparing the two.
I disagree here, but thats not important. what really surprises me here is that there is a thread that has both Yao and dominant in the title.. wow. I admit, though I doubt the guy will EVER live up to the unprecedented hype surrounding him he is improving and really putting up numbers as of late. good for him.

piksi said:
actually Pacers lost because their first option is S. Jackson and their second option is A Johnson. Hard to tell which one is worse
I guess Peja whining isnt exclusive to the Kings. Now it is Jackson and Johnson. Im so glad we dont have him anymore so we dont have to read dribble like this.

BTW- Pacers "3rd optoin" scored 29 and lost?

atxrocker said:
I disagree here, but thats not important. what really surprises me here is that there is a thread that has both Yao and dominant in the title.. wow. I admit, though I doubt the guy will EVER live up to the unprecedented hype surrounding him he is improving and really putting up numbers as of late. good for him.
I agree that he will never live up to the hype. That is not even possible. However, he is stepping up nicely and while I didn't watch Indy game, I saw him the night before against Minny. He looked dominant. The team rallied around him and even when he got his 5th foul, late in the 4th Houston did not collapse or let Minny back into the game, perhaps because Yao's recent spat of performances is inspiring/leading the rest of the team.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Yoda said:
I guess Peja whining isnt exclusive to the Kings. Now it is Jackson and Johnson. Im so glad we dont have him anymore so we dont have to read dribble like this.

BTW- Pacers "3rd optoin" scored 29 and lost?
did You watch the game ?

piksi said:
did You watch the game ?
Yes, because Houston (topic of thread) seems to big a threat, if not a bigger threat then the Lakers and the Hornets to our playoff hopes.

I saw the same old Peja, actually a better Peja. In the fourth, he took maybe a half dozen shots, made two (layups if I recall), I think. With him, his fans (you included) make statements about how his teammates keep him from greatness (Webber, Bibby, BJax, Stephen Jackson, Anothony Johnson, Adelman, Carlisle, Im sure the list will grow). At some point, it must be realized that the only common factor between all the situation is Peja. He just not destined for greatness. He is an above average role player.

Last edited:

piksi

Hall of Famer
Yoda said:
Yes, because Houston seems to big a threat, if not a bigger threat then the Lakers and the Hornets to our playoff hopes.

I saw the same old Peja, actually a better Peja. In the fourth, he took maybe a half dozen shots, made two (layups if I recall), I think. With him, his fans (you included) make statements about how his teammates keep him from greatness (Webber, Bibby, BJax, Stephen Jackson, Anothony Johnson, Adelman, Carlisle, Im sure the list will grow). At some point, it must be realized that the only common factor between all the situation is Peja. He just not destined for greatness. He is an above average role player.
good enough for being 3 times all star, making all NBA second team and being 2nd leading scorer in the league (2004)

Pedja seams to care again. He will make an all star selection again. Not bad for a role player

piksi said:
good enough for being 3 times all star, making all NBA second team and being 2nd leading scorer in the league (2004)

Pedja seams to care again. He will make an all star selection again. Not bad for a role player
Indeed, when JO gets back, he will thrive in his role.

Yoda said:
Yes, because Houston (topic of thread) seems to big a threat, if not a bigger threat then the Lakers and the Hornets to our playoff hopes.

Piksi was just responding to my comment that Pacers lost because of Yao. You decided to bring Peja into the discussion and take a stab at him. By the way comments that Piksi made about Stephen Jackson and Anthony Johnson are kind of general feelings and sentiments of Indiana fans.

Peja had 29pts, 9 rebounds and 5 assists. That's a pretty good night for an above average role player.

Now back to Yao. He will be great player unless he gets injured. Anytime I see him play he looks like he could come down with some kind of long term injury anytime soon.

vj9999 said:
Piksi was just responding to my comment that Pacers lost because of Yao. You decided to bring Peja into the discussion and take a stab at him. By the way comments that Piksi made about Stephen Jackson and Anthony Johnson are kind of general feelings and sentiments of Indiana fans.
Seen enough of those comments by now to know what was actually meant, just thought Id get to the heart of the issue. So in actuality, I didnt really derail the Yao thread, Piksi is well noted for his backhanded comments, they can be both fun and annoying. I found this one just that, fun and annoying, giving me something to do on this slow morning of work.

piksi said:

I don't know why this thread was side-tracked by Peja. But if were going to go that way then here are some facts. Peja has always been horrible in the 4th. There's a reason why he isn't taking a ton of shots, he misses a lot of them. If you look at his stats last year during the crunch, an amazing 27% from the field. He was an amazing 8% from the field during the crunch time with us this year. 8% boys, that's, rediculously bad.

Peja is more than a role player but less than a star. He's a quality starter and I believe that's all he will be. The guy never comes up when it counts. He'll be there for 3 quarters, put up point after point. Then in the 4th, he disappears. According to an article on Pacers.com, in his 15 games, he puts up 2 or less points in half of them in the fourth. It's just something he does.

The Pacers blew a big 4th quarter lead due to Peja, SJ and AJ poor play. They scored 11 points in the quarter, which will never cut it.

Expect more of the same with Peja the rest of his career. Expect an extremely vivid player for 3 quarters and then the opposite in the fourth.

Peja is playing better but he keeps doing his old tricks. He doesn't like to put the team on his back during crunch time and that's what makes the good shooters into great ones.

Yoda said:
Now that is a great point. I am actually hoping that both Kings and Rockets make it, but I am dreading that Houston might overtake us if they continue getting these performances from Yao.

Hornets are in danger because they're back to "home"

Now Kings, along with Jazz, Rockets are racing for the 7th&8th spots

I just hope there is no injury for all these teams

Kings113 said:
I personally ultimately don't see Houston being able to stay in it, and still aren't real close to us yet.
Ummm....they are a game and a half behind us, the same distance in which we are out of the playoffs.

Yoda said:
Ummm....they are a game and a half behind us, the same distance in which we are out of the playoffs.
Oh, I thought it was in the two area. My bad then. I still ultimately don't see them being able to stay in it to the end though. If they are, bring it on. ;)

Last edited:
Kings113 said:
Oh, I thought it was in the two area. My bad then. I still ultimately don't see them being able to stay in it to the end though. If they are, bring it on. ;)
The key thing is that the Rockets will play 8 straight teams with winning record (Pacers the 1st one...and 8 more to come, including 2 against SA and 1 against Dallas, 1 against Piston)...so you can probably tell if they are able to get in playoff or not by the end of next week.

In other words, the Rockets need to beat almost all of the top teams in order to make the playoff. Also, it means that if they really make it, they are a serious threat of winning it all this year. (which is unlikely to happen)

t-mac needs to be healthy in order for houston to make a serious run at the playoffs. they've only won 2 games with him out, and he's been injured 17+ games this season. with his back problems flaring up again, i'm not sure that they can count on him to be healthy for the remainder of the season, so i wouldn't worry too much about houston.