Would a new arena even solve the problem?

I'm curious - does a new arena even solve anything? Yes, there will be a lot more luxury boxes- but can Sacramento support that? Will those luxury boxes be sold? I have a hard time imagining a Staples Center type arena succeeding in Sacramento. Frankly, I think fans are already starting to get priced out by Arco - will a new arena be enough to keep the Kings away from a bigger market? And do the Maloofs even want a new arena, or wouldn't they rather use no new arena as an excuse to move to a bigger market because they know that even a new arena won't bring them the kind of revenue in Sacramento that they could potentially get elsewhere?

These are some of my questions about the arena debate and I'd be curious to hear what you all think.

Trust me they wan to stay. There may be more people in bigger markets, but there won't be as much support. This is a rare thing they have here. Those luxury boxes will sell, once people see how nice the new one's are. It will also bring more money to anyone who owns it besides just Kings game's. If the City is smart they will have their hands in it, because we will get more concerts, more events with a world class, state-of-the-art facility.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The main problem with Arco is that it's getting old, it's not adequate for current needs AND it's aging rapidly. So yes, a new arena would definitely solve that problem.

And do the Maloofs even want a new arena, or wouldn't they rather use no new arena as an excuse to move to a bigger market because they know that even a new arena won't bring them the kind of revenue in Sacramento that they could potentially get elsewhere?
The support the Maloofs have here is the envy of a vast majority of team owners. They have NEVER complained about the size of the market. They knew what it was when they bought it. A lot of this stuff that people assume the Maloofs are worrying about simply isn't true. A successful franchise with sellout crowds every night isn't something you move except as a last resort.

As far as you thinking the fans are starting to get priced out of Arco, that isn't substantiated by the ticket sales. While the crowd dynamic may have shifted, people are still buying the tickets. They may not always use them, as games pre-Artest showed, but I think that has come to a screeching halt, too. Once again, it's fun to go to Kings games.

One other thing to consider is that it isn't just about the Kings and the Monarchs, who use the arena less than 20% of the time. It's about all the OTHER attractions, too. Sacramento is going to need a new venue for major attractions in the very near future.

So my answer to your question is "Yes, a new arena for the Sacramento area will solve the problem."

A replacement arena here will not have the number of luxury boxes that Staples has. No Sacramento could not support that. It would likely be closer to the number of boxes San Antonio has, another small market. I don't have time right now to try and find it, but there was a great article about the success of SA and about their arena and the relationship with the fans and city. One of the things the owners said was that the money they get from the luxury boxes allows them to keep tickets prices down for seats for the average fan. In other words, part of the reason average joe pays more for seats at Arco, is becasue he has to make up for the lack of revenue that can come from luxury boxes.

Arco was cheap to begin with (it was paid for with private money) and it has not worn well. So do you spend millions of dollars to maintain it (I believe I read that it needs a new roof) or is that money wasted on a facility that isn't really very good to begin with? It is inadequate for many major events. The Bee reported not long ago that many acts/shows aren't booking in Sacramento, becasue there is no facility (Arco) adequate to meet their needs physically and financially.

The only other arena I've been to recently is the United Center in Chicago. The seats are roomier and more comfortable, the concourses are very wide, so you don't feel like you might get trampled to death at any moment (I have almost been knocked to the ground at Arco by the tightly packed mob). There are stores and a greater variety of eating choices. We sat about 10-15 rows up at one end of the court. The seats were $100 each. It was not as intimate as Arco, but the Maloofs have insisted they don't want any arena that won't maintian the atmosphere of Arco. They don't want it to seat more than about 18,000 either. That's also to maintain intimacy. Of course, less seats helps keep demand up, too.;)

Oh, as to price, I can't go to many games, but I've gone to games for $10 to $25 a seat. I usually avoid the food, which is very costly (at any arena or stadium). There are loads of tickets in town that cost that much and more: opera, symphony, events at the new Mondavi Center, concerts, ice shows, etc. And a tivket to a movie costs darn close to those $10 Arco seats. So can I afford season tickets...heck no. CAn I chose to go to a few games every year...heck yes. And $10 for parking would be considered ridiculously cheap in a good many places in CA (Try SF:eek: ).

Last edited:
Bands are bypassing Sacto and instead playing in the beautiful new arena in Fresno of all places......

Until people get the blinders off and realize it is a community issue and not just an arena for the Kings then something will get done.

Ryle said:
Bands are bypassing Sacto and instead playing in the beautiful new arena in Fresno of all places......

Until people get the blinders off and realize it is a community issue and not just an arena for the Kings then something will get done.
WORD!

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'm sure Sacramento could support something like we have here in Portland. The Rose Garden has 70 luxury boxes and I'm told that it was designed from the ground up with acoustics in mind so that bands love to play here and they always have plenty to keep it going (I'm a pretty recent transplant and am not big into arena rock so I have yet to verify the truth to this). Ticket prices are very reasonable, the seats are comfortable and I've had fun at the 3 Blazers games I've been to even though I wouldn't call myself a Blazers fan. The attendance has been pretty modest but it still can get loud unlike the absolutely lifeless Staples center that I did my darndest to avoid while living in LA.

The old outdated Memorial Coliseum is next door and houses the Winter Hawks hockey team and makes Arco look modern, but if they wanted to build onto adjacent land this is an example of how to make it work. On the other hand its also essentially a downtown arena that can be walked to from plenty of free parking areas, bars, etc.

Who said they want something like the Staples Center? That isn't even on the list of comparison cities. Look at places like Memphis, San Antonio and Indy. And yes a new arena would be a big help to keeping the Kings and getting more non-NBA entertainment shows. ARCO was a joke on day 1. It was built on a budget and it shows in every aspect. The ice floor was completely botched when it was installed. They've made a few corrections, but it's still takes days to turn an ice show around when other arenas take hours. Those are days that can't be booked for other shows. Then lets talk about the safety issues with the top floor. Who in their right mind designed the upper concourse to funnel down so that only about 2 people can get through at any time? I cringe at the thought of a fire in the upper floor of the arena. The main concourse isn't much better as I can't count the number of times I've been squeezed in there at the end of the games. Even if the Kings left, the city needs a public venue for events. ARCO is due for a wrecking ball.

I think I remember reading that the max number of luxury boxes would be 60 and could be less. Yep, Arco is cheap, cheap, cheap. I can't really blame the owners. It cost Luckenbill and partners a lot of money just to buy the team. It was their fervent dream to bring pro sports to Sacramento, god bless 'em. I don't imagine it left a lot of money to build two arenas.

Arco is crowded and not very comfortable and I, too, think it would be a disaster evacuate people.

The Maloofs own the arena. I wonder what they would do with it, if the Kings/Monarchs left? It would still need a major overhaul to use it for anything, but it would have to be economically viable to do that. My guess is they would sell it. Then who knows what it would be used for.:confused: