Wolves Owner says Cassell and Sprewell is a 'failed experiment'

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2036753&num=2

Updated: April 13, 2005, 10:46 PM ET
Taylor calls acquisitions a 'failed experiment'

MINNEAPOLIS -- According to Minnesota Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor, the team's acquisitions of Latrell Sprewell and Sam Cassell two summers ago were a "failed experiment."

Before Minnesota's fifth-to-last game in a terribly disappointing season, Cassell figured his time with the Timberwolves was nearing an end.

"He told me right there he don't want me back," Cassell said Wednesday when told of Taylor's critical comments. "You experiment with something, and it doesn't work. Would you try it again?"

For a story published in Wednesday's editions of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, Taylor said he regretted trading for Sprewell and Cassell -- despite significant contributions from the two veterans that led to a run to the Western Conference finals last season.

"This was an expensive financial decision; certainly, financial-wise, it was a poor decision on our part," Taylor said. "Overall, it was just a failed experiment."

Cassell, 35, and Sprewell, 34, each complained in training camp about not getting contract extensions. Sprewell will be a free agent after making more than $14 million this season. Cassell has another year at about $6 million on his deal.

Their attitudes have been questioned all season since the distractions they caused with their contract demands. Cassell missed 23 games with a strained hamstring.

"Our goal was to win the championship," Taylor said. "We never expected to be anything other than one of the top four or five teams in the league. And even today, it's hard to believe we could be anything less than that, when you look at the other teams in the league. It's hard to believe that, in the Western Conference, there are four teams that are better than us."

Actually, it's eight. The Timberwolves tipped off their game against Golden State needing to win their last five and have Memphis lose its final five. The Grizzlies were at Houston on Wednesday night.

"That's what happens when your team doesn't bond and come together," said interim coach Kevin McHale, who took a diplomatic stance on Taylor's criticism.

"I'm not going to get into all that," McHale said. "Glen's the owner of the team. He's certainly entitled to his opinion. The whole thing did not turn out very well this year. That's not just Latrell and Sam. The whole team never worked out."

Cassell complained that he had been made into a scapegoat for Minnesota's problems.

"It starts at the top and it dwindles down from there ... Hypothetically, when it's all said and done, they're going to blame it all on me," Cassell said. "Just because Sam Cassell was hurt and Sam asked for a contract."

Cassell said he'll have a long talk about his future with teammate Kevin Garnett in the offseason.

"I know for a fact he trusts me when I'm on the basketball court," Cassell said. "The only thing I can say is seven, eight months from now, I'll be back to the old Sam."

Taylor, who was unavailable for further comment at Wednesday's game, suggested major changes would be made over the summer.

"Latrell himself has to decide ... if he even wants to play with us. What we have to look at is, is he the right player on our team next year or not?" Taylor said.

Taylor hinted that Cassell could be traded.

"He's on our payroll this next year, so you've got to deal with it," Taylor said. "You just can't say what you're going to do. If you can get a trade that's a good trade, you do it. If you can't, you've got to utilize the people as best you can. It isn't just as simple as saying, 'We're going to make these changes."'

Taylor clearly hasn't appreciated his team's performance in the final weeks of the season, especially Saturday's loss to lowly Atlanta.

Wolves interim coach Kevin McHale blamed it on "selfishness" after the game, and Taylor agreed.

"I think in all businesses and stuff, there is always some selfishness," Taylor said. "Usually, you're able to moderate that toward the team goal. But we're having a difficult time doing that, and it will be how I will focus toward next year -- what players are really leading the team, and what players are causing that, and is it something we can change? And if it's something that we can't change, I guess we'll have to change the players."

Taylor was still looking forward to year. For one thing, he will have to hire a new coach because Flip Saunders was fired in February and McHale has made it clear he doesn't want to coach next season.

"I would just say every other year in our franchise was a good year," Taylor said. "We always did better than we expected. This is the first time that things didn't work out as we planned. And that's very disappointing."

Wow. I sometimes get irritated with the Maloofs and Rick Adelman for playing things so close to their chest, but now that I see the alternative I am very grateful that they don't air our team issues out for everyone to see. This is pretty ugly.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
love_them_kings said:
Wow. I sometimes get irritated with the Maloofs and Rick Adelman for playing things so close to their chest, but now that I see the alternative I am very grateful that they don't air our team issues out for everyone to see. This is pretty ugly.
I agree. And I'm betting it gets much uglier before it's over...

I laugh everytime I read the headline...

Actually last night I was watching *gasp* Sportscenter and they had Sam Cassell's quote from the whole situation...i don't remeber what it exactly was but it was pretty much "He said right to my face he don't want me back"

lol..oh boy!

love_them_kings said:
Sure it gets ugly when you get 20 million bucks stolen from you. Guys like Cassell and Sprewell are why I stopped watching the NBA for most of the 1990s.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
If Taylor palns to have McHale trade Spree and Sam as it would apear he does this article will not help. Ok it has been no secreet that they are not working out, but hey at least TRY to market them!

It was a gamble, it sortta worked. They were just too old, with too much baggage.

On this note, who will hire these 2 next season?

Who can? Who is WILLING?

Would you take Sam? Would you take Spree?

To answer my questions, I say that I am shocked that Spree is even still in the NBA. Shouldda been kicked out after the Golden State thing. But since he is still here, I say he goes to where he would be the most appreciated... the TrailBlazers.

As for Sam, I think in the right enviroment, he can still be effective (read, non cancer). It would take a very mature team, no doubt. Perhaps Miami? I know they don't have the cash, but I doubt Sam will command more than GP did with the MLE this off season.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Both players will be ahrd to move but bottom feeders might take them for instant offense and experience, problem for Minny is that they will not get much for them.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Cassel to Miami might work. Sam will ALWAYS be a cancer, always has been. But with an established superstar hierarchy there, as well as Pat Riley in the front office, probably onyl so much B.S. they'll let go on.

Have no idea at all who would take on Spree. He's looked pretty done this season. Well, except for against us of course. He also gets the Biggest Bonehead Award fro '04-'05 because lsot int eh comedy of that whoel "feed my family" idiocy was the fact that he basically turned down an extension offfer from the Wolves for $10+ mil a year for 2-3 years. Now he'll be lucky to earn half of that, and for fewer years. Probably a $10 to $20 MILLION dollar miscalculation on his part.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/050408&num=2

Here's a clip from that ESPN article that was posted in a different thread:

319. Latrell Sprewell and Sam Cassell (tie)
Trading for an NBA player with baggage is like dating a girl with baggage – maybe you'll be happy for a few months, but there's a 95-percent chance it's going to end badly. (And I mean, BADLY, as in, "Why does it hurt when I pee?" or "I wonder who left 59 hang-ups on my answering machine?") In Minnesota's case, Spree and Sam helped KG win an MVP and nearly got Minny to the 2005 Finals before turning faster than a gallon of milk. Was it worth it? I would say yes. You only have three or four chances to win a title with a superstar, so you do what you need to do. And if this leads to Spree's retiring and filming a reality-show on his yacht, maybe it was for the best.

No wonder Kevin Garnett was crying in that interview during the All Star break! I'm surprised he has any sanity left in him.

BibbyForPrez said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/050408&num=2

Here's a clip from that ESPN article that was posted in a different thread:

319. Latrell Sprewell and Sam Cassell (tie)
Trading for an NBA player with baggage is like dating a girl with baggage – maybe you'll be happy for a few months, but there's a 95-percent chance it's going to end badly. (And I mean, BADLY, as in, "Why does it hurt when I pee?" or "I wonder who left 59 hang-ups on my answering machine?") In Minnesota's case, Spree and Sam helped KG win an MVP and nearly got Minny to the 2005 Finals before turning faster than a gallon of milk. Was it worth it? I would say yes. You only have three or four chances to win a title with a superstar, so you do what you need to do. And if this leads to Spree's retiring and filming a reality-show on his yacht, maybe it was for the best.

No wonder Kevin Garnett was crying in that interview during the All Star break! I'm surprised he has any sanity left in him.
hehe Thanks for sharing

As for Spree he had the best years of his career IMO in NY with the Knicks during that stretch of time he was very well behaved...again IMO...

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
Cassel to Miami might work. Sam will ALWAYS be a cancer, always has been. But with an established superstar hierarchy there, as well as Pat Riley in the front office, probably onyl so much B.S. they'll let go on.

Have no idea at all who would take on Spree. He's looked pretty done this season. Well, except for against us of course. He also gets the Biggest Bonehead Award fro '04-'05 because lsot int eh comedy of that whoel "feed my family" idiocy was the fact that he basically turned down an extension offfer from the Wolves for $10+ mil a year for 2-3 years. Now he'll be lucky to earn half of that, and for fewer years. Probably a $10 to $20 MILLION dollar miscalculation on his part.
good analysis on the potnetial futures for Sree and Sam. I can see Sam in Detroit and possibly LA (not a smrat move which is why Mitch might actualy do it) Spree may be foreced to take near vet minimun to get agig with contenders like Denver or the Grizz, but could get good short term offers from teams desperate for experience and star power (im thinking Charlot and Atlanta).

LPKingsFan said:
P.S. I hope Spree goes to the Lakers so I can hate them again.

One place he won't go: Spurs. PJ is an assistant there...
i would have to say that it definitely would be easier for me to hate the lakers again if either cassel or sprewell were to be traded there.

oh man, if they were both traded there.....i would have no problem hating the lakers again. ;)