WNBA and CBS Sports announce broadcast partnership

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Source: Forbes.com

This can only be good news for the WNBA: first time since the early 00's that the NBA has allowed them to negotiate outside of the deal that they have with ESPN and Turner, and they ink a deal that will put them on TV an additional 40 dates, and provides revenue to the league that will hopefully allow them to raise players' salaries.

Hopefully this will be the first of a set of viable options to NBA TV for WNBA coverage, especially since Turner Sports has made it crystal clear that they have nothing but contempt for women's basketball, ever since they acquired NBA TV from the league.

Still waiting for the return of the Monarchs, as was sorta promised.

Of course that’s kind of hard with only 12 teams and no recent expansion, but hopefully this new deal with CBS SN will be a precursor to addition revenue and future expansion/growth.

I know 12 teams has been working well and the league has been making $$ but I think 16 teams could be doable in time with more exposure and more revenue generated from it.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I'm pro-expansion in the abstract, but I'd like to see a few more seasons of stability. I mean, even if you take into account that some owners are deliberately underreporting their revenue for tax/CBA purposes, the league is barely breaking even, and about a third of the teams are still losing money. Any new owners buying into the league can expect to lose a couple million for the first 5-6 years of owning a team, which isn't a powerful incentive to get into the game. And, also, there's plenty of logistics issues making it difficult to place new teams; best case scenario would be if there were more available small-to-midsize arenas in major cities, with ease of access, and good public transportation, but there aren't enough of those to go around, apparently.