With the 11th Pick, the Sacramento Monarchs Select Armintie Price....I Hope

After reading a previous thread on what the Monarchs need in the draft, I did some research and came across this article. Enjoy.

Price honors her mother, leads surprising Ole Miss

Posted: Friday January 26, 2007 12:28PM; Updated: Friday January 26, 2007 12:28PM

By Caitlin Moscatello, Special to
SI.com

Armintie Price was sitting in the last class of summer session when her phone rang. The news was devastating: Her mother, Beatrice, had died of ovarian cancer at 49. Her two-month battle was over without so much as a goodbye.

As she began to cope with her mother's death, Price contemplated taking time off from school -- and basketball -- a decision her coach and teammates would have undoubtedly understood. But Price knew her absence would hurt the Lady Rebels' prospects for this season. So, with her mother gone, and her team by her side, Price opted to stay and tough it out. The result has been her best season yet.

Left entirely out of the preseason rankings, Ole Miss has jumped out to a 16-5 start (5-1 in the SEC) and is ranked No. 22 in the nation. The Lady Rebels have wins over Vanderbilt and LSU behind Price, a 5-foot-9 senior guard who leads the team with 19.1 points a game.

"She was a leader the second she walked in here as a freshman," says Ole Miss coach Carol Ross. "People were following her even if they didn't know they were following her."

While Price continues to lead on the court, her mother's death has made her realize she needs her teammates just as much off of it. When she first arrived at Ole Miss as a freshman, Price was reserved and didn't open up to her teammates. Now, she'll occasionally cry on their shoulders.

"I sense when something's bugging her," Ross said. "When I sense that, I bring her in. I just have to stay tuned into that. I make her talk. I make her cry. She's got to deal with it."

Even before her mother's death, Price didn't have an easy road. She and four siblings were raised in Myrtle, Miss., by Beatrice, who worked at McDonald's to make ends meet. Finances were tight, and it wasn't uncommon for the lights to go out because Beatrice couldn't afford to pay the electric bill. Armintie and her brother, Freddy, would go to their aunt's house to eat when their refrigerator was empty. "You know, there'd be days when we'd just have to eat cereal. My younger brother, he used to eat all of it," Price says with a soft laugh.

Deeply religious, Beatrice would take Armintie and her siblings to the Pentecostal church in town at least once a week. Every now and then, a member of their parish would give the family $25. On such occasions, Beatrice would take the family to Wal-Mart to buy necessities. Armintie never asked for new shoes or clothes like other teenage girls. "My mom would try to spoil us when she could," Price says. "But we just didn't ask for things. We knew better."

Shoes weren't the issue when the basketball coach at Myrtle High, John Sherman, called to ask Beatrice to let Armintie play. In the Pentecostal faith, women are not permitted to wear shorts or pants. So Beatrice didn't give it much thought before saying no. It took several unsuccessful attempts by Sherman before Beatrice agreed to let Price play under one condition: He find a way for Armintie to play in a uniform that would fall in line with her religious beliefs. All it took to put Price on the roster was a few stitches from the home economics teacher, who sewed a piece of fabric over the front of Price basketball shorts creating a "skort." Price went on to lead her high school team to three state titles in that skort.

"At first I said, 'Mama, I am not going to go out there and play in a dress!'" Armintie says. "But we worked it out, and when I went on to college, she said it would be my choice."

While Price continues to go to church at least once a week, she has opted to play her college career in shorts. Although her on-court wardrobe may not have been in line with her mother's beliefs, Price found other ways to fall back in favor. Take, for instance, her choice of boyfriend, Reginald Herrington, a 22-year-old elementary school teacher who happens to be the son of a preacher.

"My mama used to say, 'Don't bring any boy to this house unless he's been saved,'" Price says. "But this time she couldn't say anything."
Price and Herrington have been an item for more than three years, and with the loss of the Beatrice -- whom Armintie called her "best friend" -- Herrington's parents have become a second family. Armintie has also become close with her father, who has been living in Milwaukee since he and Beatrice divorced when Armintie was a child. And Armintie acknowledges that while her faith came from her mother, her basketball skills stem from the other half of her DNA. In fact, it wasn't until this past summer that she was able to outshoot her old man on the court.

"When I beat him, he wouldn't talk to me for two days," Price says, jokingly. "I kept yelling, 'I'm the girl! I'm the girl!'"
Beatrice Price wasn't a basketball fan, but she would call after each game to ask how things went. For her, basketball was something that made Armintie happy and being there in spirit meant just as much to Armintie. "It didn't matter that my mom didn't come to the games," says Price. "Even though she wasn't there in person, she's always been my No. 1 fan."
Now, Price is faced with reality of not hearing her mother's voice after games. When the lights go out at Ole Miss' Tad Smith Coliseum, so does Price's escape from the memory of her mother.

"I just remember how her skin felt, how her hair felt," she says. "But I know she wouldn't want to come back. She would say, 'Leave me with God.'"
For now, Price continues to find refuge on the court with her teammates, who are looking toward March and the possibility of an NCAA berth. "She's playing for her mother," says Ole Miss senior guard Ashley Awkward. "She's living for her mother."

Beautiful story..beautiful game today! She was awesome. Paris sisters were on , but Price was money. Even Lawson gave Tenn a heads up...watch out for OL Miss. Should add some stock to the draft. Exciting big time performance.

Purple Reign titled this thread as: " With the 11th Pick, the Sacramento Monarchs Select Armintie Price....I Hope".

::taps Purple Reign's shoulder::

The Monarchs traded their 11th Pick to the Chicago Sky, so we could get Chelsea Newton back. The 2007 WNBA Draft Board was revised after those deals.

Currently, the Monarchs have only two picks:

2nd Round, 21st overall
3rd Round, 36th overall

Unless the Monarchs G.M. Whisenant can pull off another monster of deal to get a higher pick --- which I seriously doubt will happen --- it appears that some other team will select Armintie Price instead. But hey, Whiz has surprised us before, hasn't he?

Here's the complete draft board:
http://www.wnba.com/draft2007/draft_board.html

Purple Reign titled this thread as: " With the 11th Pick, the Sacramento Monarchs Select Armintie Price....I Hope".

::taps Purple Reign's shoulder::

The Monarchs traded their 11th Pick to the Chicago Sky, so we could get Chelsea Newton back. The 2007 WNBA Draft Board was revised after those deals.
If you notice, that thread was started one day before Chelsea was traded back to Sacramento. I'm a fan, not just some drive by poster.:cool:

More than likely she would have been gone by the 11th pick anyhow?
Just the same a great story and a bright future for this young player.
Who knows what magic the Whiz may pull out of his hat....;)

Before the tournament? Perhaps she would have been there at our pick - I doubt it tho. (We had pick #10, it bumped up a number when Charlotte dispersed).

Now, she should be looooooooooong gone. Her vapor trail may even be long gone by the time pick 10 rolls around. Her run has been phenomenal.