Winning culture (split from game thread)

Dr Martin spent 21 years working with the Australian Institute of Sport as well as leading Australian and European cycling teams.
and now the TRUE path to success is highlighted.....hmmmm what was it now cycling is infamous for??? Bet "Mr. 35 years okd and getting stronger" Lebron Knows the answer

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I have no idea whether or not this helps provide a winning culture or not but I can't ever remember something like this ever happening before:

Were it not for our young guys being clutch as hell, the Kings would probably be the proud owners of the worst record in the league so blame the vets, I guess.
That is mind-boggling.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
1 game from 82 doesn’t matter much. What matters is how you play the game. Play it right and the wins will come.
One game? No problem, I agree. But consistently (which is how I read your post the first time)? I think we're saying the same thing. You lose those close ones until, all of a sudden, you figure out how to not only not lose but to actually win. Our young Kings are well on the road to figuring out how to win, regardless of everything else. Once you've got that, you learn how to up your game until you're able to beat the best.

One game? No problem, I agree. But consistently (which is how I read your post the first time)? I think we're saying the same thing. You lose those close ones until, all of a sudden, you figure out how to not only not lose but to actually win. Our young Kings are well on the road to figuring out how to win, regardless of everything else. Once you've got that, you learn how to up your game until you're able to beat the best.
We agree up to the point of well on the road...

The win against Memphis, as an example, was the other team giving the game away by playing G leaguers versus regular players. We didn’t pass the ball well, our point guards had almost as many turnovers as assists, our bigs are still forcing shots instead of kicking the ball out, and our defensive rotations were atrocious. Playing any regular NBA team in the same manner we lose by 15.

We saw the same thing with Skal last year where his athleticism made him look like an all-star against G league type players. But when playing real games against real NBA defenses and offenses Skal looked lost.

I was disappointed in the Laker and Memphis win because key players didn’t look great and we lost an opportunity for better players. Wins can be deceiving at this time of year.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We agree up to the point of well on the road...

The win against Memphis, as an example, was the other team giving the game away by playing G leaguers versus regular players. We didn’t pass the ball well, our point guards had almost as many turnovers as assists, our bigs are still forcing shots instead of kicking the ball out, and our defensive rotations were atrocious. Playing any regular NBA team in the same manner we lose by 15.

We saw the same thing with Skal last year where his athleticism made him look like an all-star against G league type players. But when playing real games against real NBA defenses and offenses Skal looked lost.

I was disappointed in the Laker and Memphis win because key players didn’t look great and we lost an opportunity for better players. Wins can be deceiving at this time of year.
How about if I remove the word "well" which was probably hyperbole?

How about if I remove the word "well" which was probably hyperbole?
. That’s certainly closer... and for some players I would agree, Buddy and Bogdan. Jackson has gotten better and I like how he plays the game. Maybe Skal and Fox.

It may not seem like it but I want to be as positive as you. Heck I still watch the games every night despite my wife commenting what a bad team they are. Or my future son in law disparaging them. But as he pointed out last year you can’t judge players playing in a tank game at the end of the year. And he’s right. That’s why the promising Kings of last year were at the bottom the first half of this year.

I’m hopeful about Buddy, Bogdan and Giles. I’m open minded about Fox, Skal and Jackson. I’m hoping we don’t drop below 7 because the draft to me falls off from there. But before I can agree we are “well” down the road I will have to see good basketball in a game where both teams want to win. I don’t even need to see them win just pass the ball and play defense.

The Celtics don’t go into a game measuring themselves by wins or losses. Have you heard many Brad talks? The Celtics care about how you play. Do you make the right switches, do you make the pass to open shooters, do you put in effort on defense. It was the same at Butler except there they call it the Butler way.
I think the Kings want to play "the right way" even if they are not there yet. Its a work in progress. I think its also hard mentally to keep that focus and discipline this late into the season when they are at the bottom of the standings to make the right play, rotation, pass, etc.. that is something they are learning as well.

But as far as the tankathon is concerned we are looking better and better for the sole possession of 6th place...

. That’s certainly closer... and for some players I would agree, Buddy and Bogdan. Jackson has gotten better and I like how he plays the game. Maybe Skal and Fox.

It may not seem like it but I want to be as positive as you. Heck I still watch the games every night despite my wife commenting what a bad team they are. Or my future son in law disparaging them. But as he pointed out last year you can’t judge players playing in a tank game at the end of the year. And he’s right. That’s why the promising Kings of last year were at the bottom the first half of this year.

I’m hopeful about Buddy, Bogdan and Giles. I’m open minded about Fox, Skal and Jackson. I’m hoping we don’t drop below 7 because the draft to me falls off from there. But before I can agree we are “well” down the road I will have to see good basketball in a game where both teams want to win. I don’t even need to see them win just pass the ball and play defense.
what if we beat Spurs tomorrow :):)? that is definitely a game the other team wants to win and they are not fielding no G-leaguers.
that would really mess up our position now. at this point we should remain 6th with no ties. 65.5% chance we pick 6th or better post lottery.

what if we beat Spurs tomorrow :):)? that is definitely a game the other team wants to win and they are not fielding no G-leaguers.
that would really mess up our position now. at this point we should remain 6th with no ties. 65.5% chance we pick 6th or better post lottery.
Yes it would be more impressive. It would mess up our draft position.

Love that Carmichael Dave is using his show to ravage fans who demean the 76ers and hinkie for how they built their squad. “You people are too dumb to operate not only heavy machinery but ANY MACHINERY! STOP! You don’t sound smart, AT ALL!”

Go Dave!!

Yes, here in Sacramento we are doing it “the right way”.
None of that tanking crap. We’re building a winning culture here.

What a load of crap. You all can smoke that trash 10 years from now when we are STILL trying to build that winning culture.

Last edited:
You can define a winning culture as a team that makes the playoffs the majority of the time.
The Kings have found winning 40 games to be very elusive for more than a decade.
They tend to draft poorly and are in a small market making free agent acquisition a challenge.
The Kings have a decent coach, a nice new stadium and an owner that is coming around.
Now it all boils down to drafting players that can translate to the NBA.
I would draft players with the least amount of risk that can help right away.
That is why I like Bagley over Doncic.

Golden State is a confusing team with a winning culture. They play great defense, have the best shooters in history, and play smart basketball. They care about each other. They have a great coach and dedicated fans. They make few mistakes.

But their idea of how to conduct themselves is right out of a hiphop video. They are poor representatives of the NBA, their city, and sports figures in general.

Gang signs, disrespect, and dancing in front of the camera. I am out of date but not an antique.
I was in disbelief when Durant accepted his MVP award (the Bill Russell Trophy) and turned his back on Bill Russell. F$$k you was about all I could respond with.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Gang signs, disrespect, and dancing in front of the camera. I am out of date but not an antique.
I was in disbelief when Durant accepted his MVP award (the Bill Russell Trophy) and turned his back on Bill Russell. F$$k you was about all I could respond with.
The mindset you're objecting to (that you call "hiphop'") is more precisely the "Bay Area attitude" that so many find impossible to deal with. If you think it's bad now, wait until the W's start playing in downtown SF in the new Chase Center.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Are we the only people that noticed this? Disrespecting Bill Russell is not okay.
I wasn't watching, so I didn't even know this happened. I only watched a few bits and pieces here and there and came to the conclusion my time would be better spent doing other things.

I think the Celtics are the right kind of team to emulate. They play as a team as well as anyone. Their defense is really good. They have the complete offense and have adjusted to the long range 3 game that is so popular. With a healthy Irving and Haywood that may be able to give the GS a run for their money.

Houston has a ton of talent but plays an isolation style that can never work.
Cleveland is a couple of players short, but has a style to take advantage of James.

Last edited by a moderator: