why is everyone forgetting about the Pistons?

All I hear is how the heat are going to the finals, why have they forgotten the defending champions who are on a tear right now? they still have the same 5 that won it all, still have a great bench and defense. They also have very good players off the bench in arroyo and mcdyess

why do people continue to think the heat will beat them in a 7 game series?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Actually they have a terrible bench, although at least now its two deep after they picked up Arroyo. They play their starters as much as we do, and for the same reason.

As for why everyone is forgetting about them, its because they played like lacksadaisacal crap for the first half of the season and were a bit of a fluke champion anyway. Hardly the great team that inspires fear. Seem to be getting their swagger back though, so with Indiana Sterned out of the picture, still the other logical team that could come out of the EC.

how the hell can you be a fluke champion? makes no sense..this isn't some kind of NCAA knockout they got to win it all..they had to go through many tough series to win it all.

Bricklayer

It was a weak year around the league, they weren't even the best team in their conference for most of the year, and they ran through two injury ravaged opponents, one of whom was in the middle of an historic internal meltdown that had nothing to do with the Pistons. They won fair and square, but this is not the sort of dominant team that you pee your pants over and assume is going to dominate the league for years to come.

Bricklayer said:
It was a weak year around the league, they weren't even the best team in their conference for most of the year, and they ran through two injury ravaged opponents, one of whom was in the middle of an historic internal meltdown that had nothing to do with the Pistons. They won fair and square, but this is not the sort of dominant team that you pee your pants over and assume is going to dominate the league for years to come.
There's a reason why they weren't the best team for half of the year...rasheed wallace trade didn't happen until february. Just because the league isn't as good as i used to be doesn't mean it was a fluke...I guess the Spurs were a fluke champion then. Afterall every team they faced in 2002 always had an injury. Injures are part of the game and shouldn't be exuses more so when the pistons had injures throughout the playoffs.

the pistons are starting to get it together (again)...for their sake i hope they can continue it...

and if memory serves me correctly this is about the time last year when they totally righted their ship and cruised into the NBA Finals...it should be interesting to see how the fit into the playoff picture come the end of the season

believe me I have not forgotten about those guys...its just i don't concentrate a whole lot of the Eastern Conference until almost the end of the season

Bricklayer

The 2002 Spurs weren't a great champion either. And you notice they didn't repeat themselves.

I've watched Great teams (notice the big "G") play over the years, the Lakers, the Celtics, the old Bad Boy Pistons, Da Bulls -- teams that you DID pee your pants before playing because you had no idea how you could possibly beat them -- and this Piston crew is not remotely on that level. They have a short bench, problems scoring, and not a single historically great player on the roster (a first since the 70s I think). They're a great (notice the little "g") team, or at least were for half a season last year. Before that they were merely good. This year they've merely been good. They could win another title, and if everybody in their way collapses again I'm sure they're capable of pulling it off. But just as last year, they are only one among a pack of teams with a legit shot.

P.S. Discounting injuries is a cop out -- injuries are part of the game, but they absolutely factor in when you're trying to figure out who has the better team.

I agree with iheartbrad. Who here was really paying attention to the Pistons until mid-season of last year when they acquired Rasheed? I was, but only because they are my husbands favorite team since birth. And thank God they are because I paid attention and boy was I rewarded with an exciting season last year with the Pistons. They came through and got their groove on and whole heartedly deserved to win the Championship. To say it was a fluke is so incredibly wrong. They played well and hard and with passion, and uh...beat the Lakers WITH Shaq and Kobe. It was earned and earned hard.

They are rocking rolling right now and for you to say they have no bench is ludicrous. Lindsay, Carlos, Antonio, Hamm and Dupree. Those are 4 guys that come off the bench and make something happen. Couple that with the starting 5 and WOW.

Rip and Chauncey are the finnesse. Rasheed is the voice of reason. Tayshaun is the heart and Big Ben is the power. They could go all the way again.

Miami can and will be beat.

Ray Allen34 said:
All I hear is how the heat are going to the finals, why have they forgotten the defending champions who are on a tear right now? they still have the same 5 that won it all, still have a great bench and defense. They also have very good players off the bench in arroyo and mcdyess

why do people continue to think the heat will beat them in a 7 game series?
I will throw a cup of beer at anyone who has forgotten about the Pisterns.

they have been a mess this year, all the larry brown stuff going on, yugo. but i would love to see them win the east again. they are much more likeable then the heat.

hey, they stopped kobe with shaq last year, they could very well beat shaq with wade. you never know.

I expect the Pistons to have a great second half. They was just coming off that championship high and suffered from injuries and Big Ben's suspension. Once Arroyo, Hunter, and Delfino heal up they'll be much more dangerous. Then you know Dumars will trade if need be.