Why has shooting form changed?

Random thought, but curious to hear any insight you might have as to why players' shooting forms have changed so much. When I watch plays from the 90s and even early 2000s, a lot of guys seemed to bring the ball back a lot, jump as high as they could and release at the top of their jump. Nowadays even bigs are shooting with a lot more fluid motions. Is it just a function of training/science finding more efficient shooting form, or are there other reasons such as how defense is (not) played?

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
young players mimic players they grew up watching and try to emulate their shot mechanics. On top of all that, the advancement of biomechanics among other exercise science aspects have all have given those working with these players a platform to work with.

Random thought, but curious to hear any insight you might have as to why players' shooting forms have changed so much. When I watch plays from the 90s and even early 2000s, a lot of guys seemed to roster the ball back a lot, jump as high as they could and release at the top of their jump. Nowadays even bigs are shooting with a lot more fluid motions. Is it just a function of training/science finding more efficient shooting form, or are there other reasons such as how defense is (not) played?
My guess is that the push for more 3's....and deep 3's, has in effect changed form for a lot of players. It's really tough to shoot a good percentage on a deep 3, with a full jump shot. In looking at most of the top deep shooters, they take a little hop and release on the way up, using the ground force to propel the ball and long distace. The one notable exception that comes to mind is Lillard, but even with his high jump shot, he still releases before the top on a deep 3. Compare his form to Curry, Hield, Harden, Booker, and others