Why are threads getting locked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just posted the same thing in the "comments that don't warrant their own thread. It's getting hard to talk kings - like literally. Not because they're bad. I just literally don't have any threads to talk in lol.

Can we maybe make a "Vent" thread similar to the positivity thread but the opposite? I'm being serious. We can all voice our frustrations in there instead of dumping them into various threads.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
this thread should be turned into the official 2019-2020 venting thread...that way people can get everything off their chest without having to worry about backlash, bans, blocks or locked threads.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I locked the game thread and posted an explanation. Translation of the explanation: I had a temper tantrum. The game thread has been reopened.

As far as the other two threads go? I started them in an honest effort to give people something else to talk about. I truly hoped they wouldn't dissolve into the usual...but they did. Mission failure so I closed the threads. I give up. You guys win. I'll keep my attempts at non-negativity to an absolute minimum.

Good night.

I've been around here for what, 12 consecutive losing seasons(?) and I've never seen a game thread locked within mins of a game finishing nor a post game thread locked within mins either.

That's three threads locked in 5 mins?

Is this site now closed for discussion?
Probably certain Mods having power trips.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I locked the game thread and posted an explanation. Translation of the explanation: I had a temper tantrum. The game thread has been reopened.

As far as the other two threads go? I started them in an honest effort to give people something else to talk about. I truly hoped they wouldn't dissolve into the usual...but they did. Mission failure so I closed the threads. I give up. You guys win. I'll keep my attempts at non-negativity to an absolute minimum.

Good night.
VF, I think fans just want a place to vent. I watched the game and am annoyed.

I try to always keep in mind, the common theme from everyone here is they just want a winning team.

Respect for acknowledging a temper tantrum. Everyone will have varying levels of apathy up to anger.

Good night.
I'd bet it's been a tough gig this year for sure. I hope the mod positions at least include a decent benefits package, haha.

Good night.
@VF21 I apologize. I probably contributed. I even asked my wife what I could say positive. She replied the games over. I laughed and went with it. Sometimes one persons gallows humor is another persons frustration.

To the extent it helps, I started the pick watch thread for the same reason. We are all doing our best to deal with an extremely disappointing season. It’s not just the record, it’s Giles, it’s Bagley not being able to guard anyone, for me it’s even trading away Wenyen.

Probably certain Mods having power trips.
Agree with this. I got a post deleted for observations from the Mavs game. No personal attacks, simply observation of what I saw going in the game. I’m going to find another board that does not get overly sensitive and offended by constructive criticism i.e. how most other boards operate except this one

PS I expect this post to also get deleted

Good night.
I totally get this... NO ONE is happy right now, and digging for things to be happy about, although it can be done, is NOT easy right now.

If there's any real positive, it's that we're in this together, so let's not try to tear each other apart :)

Better days ahead, sooner or later.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I've been posting a lot less, based on the "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all" principle.

I'll be back when the Kings give me a reason to say something nice. Not sure how long that'll be though. It's looking like it might be awhile.

I've been around here for what, 12 consecutive losing seasons(?) and I've never seen a game thread locked within mins of a game finishing nor a post game thread locked within mins either.

That's three threads locked in 5 mins?

Is this site now closed for discussion?
It would appear the Luka Vs Bagley topic is off limits.

Can we maybe make a "Vent" thread similar to the positivity thread but the opposite? I'm being serious. We can all voice our frustrations in there instead of dumping them into various threads.
I only come on forums to vent tbh. When we win I'm happy and I just go about my life.

This forum does favour more in depth detailed discussion rather than ranting which I tend to just do on sactown royalty. Mods are a bit overzealous with their thread locking IMO but that's their choice.

Still think there's great contributors on here that I love reading.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
[Modding]

I only come on forums to vent tbh. When we win I'm happy and I just go about my life...
Yeah, here's the thing about that: it's like on Twitter, when there are a lot of people go on there to debate, and so they think that the reason that they go on there is the reason why the platform exists. But, not everybody is on Twitter to debate, and not everybody thinks that every single tweet they make is an invitation to debate them. And message boards are the same way. I get that some people only come on here to debate, and some people, like you, only come on here to vent. Where the disconnect comes from is that a lot of people think that, because that's the only value that the message board has to them, they then turn around and conduct themselves on the message board like they feel as if that's the only value that it should have to other people, too.

And it's legitimate and valid for you to feel that way, except... that's not none of y'all's decision to make. Hell, it's not even our decision to make, as moderators; we are enforcing the mandate of an, admittedly, mostly absentee Site Owner and Administrator. What one poster, or a group of posters, or a plurality of posters, or even a supermajority of posters feel that the culture of this message board should be doesn't actually get to determine what it is. The culture of this message board is dictated by the guy who pays for the bandwidth and the server space to keep this place online. We do what we feel is required to maintain the culture that he wants around here, even when he's not actually here. And, you can feel that we "overmoderate," or whatever, and I'm not going to sit here and invalidate your feelings, but the last time our "boss" was online long enough to give us the equivalent of a performance review, he basically told us to keep doing what we're doing. And, until such time as he comes back and tells us differently, that's what we're going to do.

The bottom line is, this place was not created by somebody who had the attitude of, "I don't care what you guys do, I just want the clicks. As long as I get the engagement and the traffic I'm looking for, you can treat this place like the wild west." I feel like I have to repeat this every couple of months, but this place is not like Twitter, or Reddit, or RealGM, or whatever your favorite hoops forum is, because Jeremy doesn't want this place to be like those places. We're not going allow people to force us to change the culture of this message board to suit their preferred online experience, and if that means that we have to be "heavy handed," then it's just going to have to be that.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your point of view), the Admin did not create a feedback subfolder. If you have a problem with the job we're doing, you can contact us directly (and privately). And, if you're not satisfied with that resolution, you can escalate to the Admin and, I dunno, in six months or so, he might even get around to reading it. But what's not going to keep happening is, we're not going to continue to let people hijack threads, or create threads to complain about the job we're doing...

... So, here's what's going to happen, right now. I'm going to somewhat break ranks from the other moderators, and allow you this one-time opportunity to "air your grievances." Think of it like a belated Festivus. I'm not going to promise to resolve your complaints. I'm not even going to promise to acknowledge your complaints. But I am going to give you this space to complain, for the next twelve hours. With one exception: No Personal Insults. Anyone who chooses to take this offer as an invitation to personally insult a moderator, another poster, or anyone else, is going to be banned, with no warning. I don't care how long you've been posting here.

Say what you've got to say, get it out of your system, and move on. You've got twelve hours. This thread will be closed at 8:00pm Pacific Time, and any attempts to restart the conversation after that will be similarly closed.

Just to be clear, I don't believe everyone feels the same as me or intends to use the forum in the same way.

And I certainly don't think the forum was set up for that purpose.

I did say as such in the little bit of my post you cut off.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Just to be clear, I don't believe everyone feels the same as me or intends to use the forum in the same way.

And I certainly don't think the forum was set up for that purpose.

I did say as such in the little bit of my post you cut off.
I understand that. But this is something that's needed to happen for a while, and that was as good a jumping off point as any.

I've been posting a lot less, based on the "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all" principle.

I'll be back when the Kings give me a reason to say something nice. Not sure how long that'll be though. It's looking like it might be awhile.
I think this sums up the problem.

The board is a discussion and a community. And while I get the desire to say positive things, this team has very very little to be positive about. In some cases, the best you can say was the games over and we hope tomorrow is better.

So you are left with a choice, analyze and discuss the mostly negative play or leave the community altogether.

I think this sums up the problem.

The board is a discussion and a community. And while I get the desire to say positive things, this team has very very little to be positive about. In some cases, the best you can say was the games over and we hope tomorrow is better.

So you are left with a choice, analyze and discuss the mostly negative play or leave the community altogether.
This.

My posting has tailed off big time. More of a lurker now. Ive seen plenty of people just completely leave. But hey, if this is how the big cheese wants it run, his/her perogative. No point in complaining anymore.

If an "air your grievances" thread was set up the traffic at that thread would outpace the rest of the site.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
This.

My posting has tailed off big time. More of a lurker now. Ive seen plenty of people just completely leave. But hey, if this is how the big cheese wants it run, his/her perogative. No point in complaining anymore...
This is another point of disconnection. My integrity demands that I allow for the possibility that what you say is correct, but there is literally no concrete evidence to support the idea that people are leaving because we don't allow negativity, and at least as much anecdotal evidence to suggest the opposite. I know, for example, several long-time, high profile posters, at least two of which are in the Top 15 for most posts, who stopped posting not because we don't allow for difference of opinion or for people to be critical, but because they thought this place had become too contentious, and too much like a debate site, and debate is not what drew them to this place.

For every PM you can produce from someone telling you that they were leaving because we don't allow criticism, I'm positive that @VF21 can show you two from people who told her they were leaving because we've allowed this place to get "too hate filled."

The reality is, that no matter how well this board is run, it's impossible to please everybody. There's always going to be some sort of complaint, and some sort of hatred for various reasons, deserved or not. Heck, there's people that just won't like you because of your face, as if you had a choice in the matter, lol.

That being said, although there are times where mods can get a bit sensitive, this is, in my opinion, one of the best run forums on the net.

I think my only real complaint is the closing of threads leads to less discussion in general. If two posters are going at it in a thread, why not just delete their posts, tell them to knock it off and leave it open so more people can contribute to it? I just don't see the point in locking threads all the time or saying they're past their expiration date. If people are still posting in them, then they're still relevant to those people. You might not personally think it's relevant but there's a handful of posters that do.

There's really not much you guys can do these days when it comes to the board being negative. Most of us are realizing that the rebuild has failed and it's going to be X amount of years, X amount of wrinkles and X amount of new gray hairs that spring up before the Kings have a chance at being any good again. That just doesn't sit well with a group of people that have already waited 13 years since the last successful season. There's just going to be a lot of griping because there's really not much to be positive about. If the owner of the board doesn't want that type of discussion, then you gotta do what you gotta do, but there really isn't much for us to talk about other than that at the moment.

At least the people here spend 95% of their time discussing the game, whether they're being negative or not. I'll take that over people talking about each other and gif after gif being posted that adds nothing to the discussion.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I think my only real complaint is the closing of threads leads to less discussion in general. If two posters are going at it in a thread, why not just delete their posts, tell them to knock it off and leave it open so more people can contribute to it?
Because then there''d just be a thread titled, "Why are posts getting deleted?", instead.

I agree that there is more than one reason why a person uses a forum. For myself, I avoid commenting on Twitter and Sactownroyalty and those types of places because it is pretty much all negative with the purpose of getting a laugh or a like or retweet. I come here to avoid the intentional negativity and to discuss the actual games. There is no desire on my part to wallow in misery.

Watching the board devolve into negativity, I admit I've been a little stronger in my comments than I really intended to be and show a lot more frustration. As a result, I don't watch the game threads as much to avoid much of my own frustration at the fans. I'm a lot less frustrated with the team, as I expected this could happen when you turnover a portion of the roster and bring in new coaches.

Complaints are always going to be more vocal than the people who are going with the flow. It creates a false sense of feeling that every fan is just so miserable right now. In reality, a lot of the folks who just don't care to vent negative emotions all day every day and maybe see things a little different way just stop posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.