Tatum - Pick 3
Westbrook - Pick 4
Paul George - Pick 10
Gobert - Pick 27
Beal - Pick 3
Simmons - Pick 1
Middleton - Pick 39
Zion - Pick 1

I put this here after reading some of the Hinkie discussion.

That is a list of Top 20 NBA players in 2020 from NBC Sports. I picked this list at random. It is pretty close to the top 20 though the order could be argued.

7 of the Top 20 players were picked outside of the Top 10 draft positions. Half of them were picked in the Top 3 draft positions.

If a team needs a Top 20 player to be competitive the question becomes how do you get one? As stated above the KIngs can get a Top 20 player by drafting in the Top 3. 12 of those players are with the team that drafted them. The other 8 players navigated to what I would consider big markets. So the Kings can rule out those 8.

So just as a rough estimate since no Top 20 player will navigate to the Kings that rules out 40% of them.

The other 60% is split roughly between Top 3 picks and outlier picks further down in the draft.

Half of the attainable Top 20 players are available to teams that tank or make shrewd trades to get Top 3 draft picks.

The other half are shrewd draft choices that are then developed as Kawhi or Pacal were.

IMO the best way for the Kings moving forward is to hire a GM who has experience in doing things like Toronto, Spurs or perhaps the Heat.

But I can see the argument for tanking strategically as we saw GSW do this past season.

What say you?

dude12

Hall of Famer
Giannis - Pick 15
Kawhi - Pick 15
Lebron - Pick 1
Harden - Pick 3
AD - Pick 1
Jokic - Pick 41
Embiid - Pick 1
Luka - Pick 3
Dame - Pick 6
Pascal - Pick 27
Butler - Pick 30
KAT - Pick 1
Tatum - Pick 3
Westbrook - Pick 4
Paul George - Pick 10
Gobert - Pick 27
Beal - Pick 3
Simmons - Pick 1
Middleton - Pick 39
Zion - Pick 1

That is a list of Top 20 NBA players in 2020 from NBC Sports. I picked this list at random. It is pretty close to the top 20 though the order could be argued.

7 of the Top 20 players were picked outside of the Top 10 draft positions. Half of them were picked in the Top 3 draft positions.

If a team needs a Top 20 player to be competitive the question becomes how do you get one? As stated above the KIngs can get a Top 20 player by drafting in the Top 3. 12 of those players are with the team that drafted them. The other 8 players navigated to what I would consider big markets. So the Kings can rule out those 8.

So just as a rough estimate since no Top 20 player will navigate to the Kings that rules out 40% of them.

The other 60% is split roughly between Top 3 picks and outlier picks further down in the draft.

Half of the attainable Top 20 players are available to teams that tank or make shrewd trades to get Top 3 draft picks.

The other half are shrewd draft choices that are then developed as Kawhi or Pacal were.

IMO the best way for the Kings moving forward is to hire a GM who has experience in doing things like Toronto, Spurs or perhaps the Heat.

But I can see the argument for tanking strategically as we saw GSW do this past season.

What say you?
Agreed on getting a guy like what Toronto, Miami and SA is doing. Then having a system in place to develop. Closest we had was Joerger developing guys. Whether you like his philosophy or not, he was developing guys. That aside, I had heard one time that SA put heavy emphasis on draftees being able to defend and then they would work on the offensive parts once they got into the system.......especially where they picked in the draft, they mostly weren’t getting guys who could come in and do both.

Id love for the Kings to start following this type of philosophy.

I'm just going to put this here: you don't need Hinkie to execute Hinkie's strategy.

In fact if Jerry West of even Geoff Petrie did it you'd probably get faster results. So why not get the best candidate in terms of basketball mindset, not the one who played the odds (which have since been adjusted out of favor as well as the league starting to fine teams for being deliberately non-competitive, which actually included forcing Hinkie out of Philly, as you may recall)?

Giannis - Pick 15
Kawhi - Pick 15
Lebron - Pick 1
Harden - Pick 3
AD - Pick 1
Jokic - Pick 41
Embiid - Pick 1
Luka - Pick 3
Dame - Pick 6
Pascal - Pick 27
Butler - Pick 30
KAT - Pick 1
Tatum - Pick 3
Westbrook - Pick 4
Paul George - Pick 10
Gobert - Pick 27
Beal - Pick 3
Simmons - Pick 1
Middleton - Pick 39
Zion - Pick 1

What say you?
Come on man it’s just blind luck when you get guys that far back, it’s like the Patriots taking credit for drafting Brady in the sixth round.

For all the people that want to tank - just look at the teams in the West. Odds are that the Kings are going to tank whether they try to or not.

Please hire someone that knows how to create a winning culture, competently administrate and establish clearly defined roles within the organization, and can evaluate and develop talent.

I think some weird salary dump stuff is going to happen this offseason. I hope the Kings can figure out a way to pick up more talent.

Giannis - Pick 15
Kawhi - Pick 15
Lebron - Pick 1
Harden - Pick 3
AD - Pick 1
Jokic - Pick 41
Embiid - Pick 1
Luka - Pick 3
Dame - Pick 6
Pascal - Pick 27
Butler - Pick 30
KAT - Pick 1
Tatum - Pick 3
Westbrook - Pick 4
Paul George - Pick 10
Gobert - Pick 27
Beal - Pick 3
Simmons - Pick 1
Middleton - Pick 39
Zion - Pick 1

What say you?
With the required sample size caveat, your list implies a 55% elite level NBA player hit rate for top 5 picks. Better than a coin flip or in Vlade terms, he should've acquired 1.1 elite players during his tenure (Kings had two top 5 picks), which I guess he did (Fox), but we all know he really should've had two (Fox plus he, who shall remain unnamed).

A relational difference is a more relevant analysis than a simple average. For example, the #1 pick has a 200% greater chance of becoming an elite player than the #27 or the #15 pick. Or the #1 pick has a 500% greater chance of becoming an elite player than the #41 pick.

Tanking may not have been perfect, but it was grounded in solid numbers. The process just wasn't completed.

And, again, the next GM doesn't have to be Hinkie, but would sure be nice to have someone, who can incorporate the above numbers into the process. Also, please just NO to Scott Perry (Jason Jones has been spinning the draft workout recruiter less lately--which is a good sign).

For all the people that want to tank - just look at the teams in the West. Odds are that the Kings are going to tank whether they try to or not.

Please hire someone that knows how to create a winning culture, competently administrate and establish clearly defined roles within the organization, and can evaluate and develop talent.

I think some weird salary dump stuff is going to happen this offseason. I hope the Kings can figure out a way to pick up more talent.
Bizarre as it may seem, he still lives in the neighborhood, Geoff Petrie. And I still think, with free rein and this time, money to spend, he can turn this ship around. Maybe it's not realistic at this point in Geoff's life.

Otherwise, besides Hinke, Gupta, add the name Danny Ferry.

Bizarre as it may seem, he still lives in the neighborhood, Geoff Petrie. And I still think, with free rein and this time, money to spend, he can turn this ship around. Maybe it's not realistic at this point in Geoff's life.

Otherwise, besides Hinke, Gupta, add the name Danny Ferry.
I would want the new GM to be more of Tier system. A guy like sachin Gupta would be great for negotiation and overall vision then add someone like Geof Petrie in the role of Jerry West to help identify talent and thirdly someone like Scott Perry or Dumars with their connection in the league to help facilitate talents incoming. One can only dream

Since we’re not getting Hinkie and I’m sad because of I only have one requirement for our new GM. He is a new era type that values the 3 pointer and small ball. I don’t care about anything else as long as he believes Bagley should be at center and Barnes of another 6’8-6’9 guy is at PF. Only two teams played a traditional PF that made the playoffs this year, Lakers/Pacers and LA has lebron/AD.

Relevant:

"Not only has Rosas already proven himself to be one of the more aggressive heads of basketball ops in the NBA, but also the executive team in charge is also one of the more creative ones in executing deals. Remember: the team’s vice president of basketball ops, Sachin Gupta, created the damn trade machine on ESPN. I would not be so sure that the Wolves end up making this pick at No. 1. At the very least, they’re going to see if anyone is willing to meet whatever they set as their asking price."

See here: https://theathletic.com/2037121/202...t-7-1-a-mini-update-based-on-what-im-hearing/

Ball goes #1 in the latest, Kings pick Nesmith, pass on Bey. Has mentioned a few times that Poku can be a riser--feast or famine.

There have been much more baffling stuff said in here than this since there are actual valid arguments for why Hinkie did good job as there are arguments against that. You only seeing the negatives and refusing to see the obvious positives he did doesnt mean its baffling if someone acknowledges the positives.

I'm not surprised you dont see any good in Hinkie if thats your actual point of view. The crucial part of Hinkies plan wasnt to "happen to be in a draft where there was a star level player". Saying that is intentionally misrepresenting his strategy. The crucial part of his strategy was to understand that in order to draft a superstar you should have as high picks as possible in multiple drafts (since its statistically proven that its much more likely to draft a star top 2 compared to for example 4-8 range). Also part of his plan was that you should have as many picks as possible to increase your odds to land starting level players and thats important because you are in control of them for their cheap rookie contract and their second contract.

It wasnt luck with Hinkie. It was a plan based on statistics and odds. When you follow that plan for several drafts, statistically you are bound to get better results since statistically you will have higher picks and more picks. Obviously you can still miss with those picks but at least you are drafting in a position where its most likely to get a star level player. Vlade getting a huge lottery luck was great but I would never want to follow a plan that requires that we enter the draft lottery 8th and get a star level player in that draft. Its just very unlikely especially compared to entering the lottery first or second.

Thats an argument you've been saying a lot and to me him being out of the job isnt a thing that "proves" anything since there are good reasons why he hasnt work since his resignation.

First of all you must acknowledge that the league basically forced him out because of his strategy and for at least 2-3 years he basically was unhireable because of that. Also not having a gm job after that is a shady argument when there are only 30 jobs and there are some terrible franchises that hire guys like their ex player with zero experience and/or competence for the job.

I remember reading that after couple of years of his resigning, teams and owners still called him for counseling a lot. We also dont know how motivated he is working as a gm anymore since how he was treated by the league plus aparrently he has a good job outside of the game.

I don't know how high Hinkie would be on my list, or if Hinkie even wants to be a gm anymore. What I do know we could do a lot worse than him and our last gm is a good example of that.

There were some reports that agents didnt like Hinkie because he never used his cap space on guys like Zbo, Dedmon ect and he invented those multi year partially guaranteed contracts for low level players. I dont know how those relationships would affect the team once it was competitive but what I do know is that his strategy was based on data and his strategy did what it was supposed to do (multiple high draft picks, multiple extra draft picks, loads of caps space to sign guys when stars were drafted).

100 times out of 100 I would prefer a strategy based on data and being good in the future rather than gut feeling and desperation to scrap together a 37 win team year after year.
Not surprising at all that the response to this great post is that you're the irrational one. LOL

But yeah, this is the perfect summary of Hinkie and his success. Just need to quote this in the future and not waste time with certain individuals.