WHITESIDE! (Lol, 1yr/min deal)

It's great to have a veteran who can teach youngster how to survive in the league. Steal rebounds from teammates, jump on every pump fake so you get a couple of blocks per game despite allowing lots of easy baskets, collect stats and sign a big contract.
Do you have ever have any positive comments to add? It seems you come here to spew frustration at any and all moves made by the team you choose to be a fan of.

dude12

Hall of Famer
In response to another post, I think Bagley needs to be the starting center. His mobility at the 5 helps with mismatches more than it does the 4. I keep holding onto his last healthy game which was seemingly a millennium ago when he started at center on the road in Miami and outplayed Bam. What I hope is that Whiteside backs up Marvin and Holmes is dealt IF and I say IF we get the appropriate pieces coming back. Holmes has strong value.

I’ve always wondered why everyone hates Whiteside with the stats he puts up, but then I barely caught any Heat or Blazers games over the years.

Guess we’ll get to see the glorious stat padding first hand next season! I’m gonna be on that “Lin” train again, so I’m cool with empty stats.
People hate Centers in general nowadays. Unless they play like a guard. Which means they prefer tall guards over centers.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Whiteside is an advanced-stats dream. He averaged 15.5 points, 13.5 rebounds and a league-leading 2.9 blocks per game for the Portland Trail Blazers last season. He shot 62.1 percent from the field, although his range is limited to about 10-feet.

The raw numbers don’t tell the entire story. Whiteside finished the season with a 125 offensive rating and 107 defensive rating. Those are shockingly good numbers. He also managed to post 5.6 offensive win-shares and 3.0 offensive win-shares for a staggering 8.5 total win-shares, which ranked 12th overall in the NBA. For comparison, Nemanja Bjelica led the Kings with 5.3 win-shares last season.
Again,,, why does everyone hate this guy and why is he a minimum player? Lol

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports...-free-agent-acquisition-hassan-231427521.html

I haven’t watched him play since the Kings. They all say empty stats, but I’ve never of empty stats close to this magnitude before: 15.5 ppg at 62 fg%, 13.5 rebounds, 3.9 offensive rebounds.

I bet he will basically suck like the league-wide consensus unwaveringly says. But he must have some kind of significant potential, more than many lower tier players...offensive rebounds are nice too.

Just trying to wrap my head around it. Part of it is the Heat being pissed about that huge contract. But far and away the best detail for the Kings out of this is 1 yr @ league minimum. Tough to argue that. Lol.

I really don’t get how 15/13/2 is worth only the minimum the way this free agency went.

Can you imagine how insane we would have been acting if Holmes put those numbers up last season?! Can you imagine how thrilled we would be if Bagley even approached those numbers?!
The NBA is BROKEN. Productivity is so easily accomplished if used right because the nuances of the game are RIP. Even at his worst Hassan is like Len on steroids so not bad for min. Now hold onto to your exceptions Monte! This team could be set up pretty in a pretty sweet spot come the deadline. That is if Walton wasn't allowed to torch the kingdom by that point.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The NBA is BROKEN. Productivity is so easily accomplished if used right because the nuances of the game are RIP. Even at his worst Hassan is like Len on steroids so not bad for min. Now hold onto to your exceptions Monte! This team could be set up pretty in a pretty sweet spot come the deadline. That is if Walton wasn't allowed to torch the kingdom by that point.
Len got paid more than Whiteside, and people were clamoring for Len’s return here. Lol

I’m convinced he’s going to follow in the illustrious steps of Ramon Sessions, George Hill, Dewayne Dedmon and the rest of the vets who come to Sacramento to die.

But it’s a shot worth taking.
I don't know signing a minimum deal has to kind of humble you right? I mean, this is a no brainer and if this is his wake up moment he might put in maximum effort on that minimum contract and fall right in line. Now, if we see Joseph and Whiteside getting minutes over Haliburton and Bagley I think Monte will know what to do, haha.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I don't know signing a minimum deal has to kind of humble you right? I mean, this is a no brainer and if this is his wake up moment he might put in maximum effort on that minimum contract and fall right in line. Now, if we see Joseph and Whiteside getting minutes over Haliburton and Bagley I think Monte will know what to do, haha.
Yeah, the one big difference here being we don’t have an incompetent GM giving the vet a huge contract to die on top of anymore. Maybe this is when the “tradition” breaks!!!

I think a couple of things here:
  • you can't just play one player at center the entire game
  • there are injuries, etc., to deal with
  • Whiteside is a bigger body to throw against some of the larger bangers down low
you cannot play one center, but we already have Holmes. if Bagley was going to be played some minutes at center to see if that position fits him better in the NBA, the addition of Whiteside limits those minutes

there are injuries, and if past is any indication, they are mostly Bagley's :p. kidding aside hopefully he stays healthy this season.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Bagley can play center, it fits his skillet better. He just has to get stronger and better on d. Bam is only 6'9 and is a great center.
Power forward and center are somewhat interchangeable, but Bagley doesn't have the muscular build to bang guys around in the post on defense like Bam does. Bagley is quick, he can handle the ball, he has a good looking jumper that needs to fall, but it looks good, and he's not lost defending on the perimeter. Combine this with not having the beef to spend 30 minutes a game tussling in the paint with an Embiid or an Ayton and I think he's best used switching between the two positions as lineups dictate, and generally better at the 4. Yes, Bagley has an offensive post game that fits in with a more traditional center look, but my bottom line is that I would prefer not having to go excessively small (e.g. Barnes at the 4) for long stretches if we don't have to. I know we're going to want to run, and it helps to have at least 4 fleet players out there to do that, but Bagley has the speed to do it from the 4, and if we go with primarily Whiteside/Holmes at the 5, we'll still be able to run 4 without sacrificing size at the PF.

It's a minimum signing, so I can't be too mad, but I hate the idea of him on the team. He doesn't play team first basketball, but has enough athletic ability to get stats and not be a complete drag on the floor. If he fills the Len role, and is third in center minutes behind Bagley/Holmes, then he's useful.

I'm sure he'll have at least one monster game early and get an "any questions" thread dedicated to him. But I predict he will be cut before new year's, which means any trade return or backup minutes will be a win in my eyes.