Which potential top 6 pick fits us best?

Which top 6 prospect fits us best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Assuming we pick top 5. Trae Young would be in there, but Fox has shown enough that I think that we can feel comfortable with him.

1) Ayton
2) Bagley
3) Jackson
4) Doncic
5) Porter

With the reports about the positive lockerroom environment and the focus of the young guys to improve and win i think we have turned a corner as far as being a franchise that can be a positive place to develope young guys...i think any of these top 5 will do great in Sac and have a good chance of reaching their potential

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
This is really tough. I can see a good argument for Doncic, Ayton, Bagley, or Porter. They're all such different players. Doncic is a scorer and playmaker with unteachable instincts -- every team could use one of those. Ayton is one of the best bigman prospects of the last 20 years. Yes the league has changed to the extent that he's no longer an automatic first overall pick but we don't have a dominant big guy on our roster yet -- he steps into that void right away. Bagley represents something else we don't have -- an automatic 20/10 every night. He would form a formidable pick and roll duo with Fox. Porter is an instant upgrade where we need it most -- a versatile forward who can score from everywhere and compete athletically with the best that the league has to offer.

Even Bamba and Jackson could build a case between now and June for first overall pick consideration. My gut right now is that Ayton and Doncic are the best two talents in the draft but I'm probably wrong. And this is one time where I'm actually glad it's not my job to choose between them.

This is a good point in regards to wiggins and Gay. Often when looking at the defensive end of the floor athletisicm is the "end all be all" but just how Andre Miller "knew" how to always get in the lane even as the slowest player on the court, knowing "how" to play defense such as when to get up on a player, when to help, how to anticipate a pass/shot/drive is probably more important that having great shinny tools ala Wiggins. Doncic on tape from what I can see looks like he knows what he is doing on defense like Bogdan and so while not the most athletic player on the court, is still able to get the job done with their "IQ" making them plus players on both ends of the court
Bill Walton once said that Larry Bird was the quickest player in the NBA because he knew where his man was going before his man did.

I love Doncic's all around game but he's not the type to really build a franchise on.

I'd go Porter. He's that 3-4 that we're looking for.

Yeh he didnt play all year and there's a mystery about him, but you can't pass up on that.

He could be KD/Lamar Odom or worst case Donte Greens
Or out of the league with a bad back. I’d rather deal with an ACL then bad back.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Porter has suspect handle as well as athleticism his hips are too tight he’s not the athlete he’s billed too be.

He’s moved into the top 5 in most places he’s elites
If I have a concern about Porter, it would be his back, not his skill set, or his athleticism. It's easy to criticize Porter since there's not much to go on, but to think that he's not a good athlete is a bit of a stretch. Prior to the injury, he was a very good athlete. I wouldn't call him an elite athlete, but I would put him in the group right below that. A person whose judgement I trust that scouts college basketball, said prior to Porter's injury, that he was the best SF to come out of college since Kevin Durant.

That's not to say that he's going to be the next Durant, but it is high praise. How will he be defensively? Who the hell knows. I hear this used selectively all the time as a disclaimer against a player. Truth is, you never know how good a player will be defensively until he's in the league. I think prior to the injury Porter had all the tools to be a good defender. So I'm afraid it's a wait and see in that dept. Here's a little video of Porter with highlights from the Nike all star game along with some excerpts from practice. Tell me if the first thing that comes to mind when you watch,is that Porter has tight hips.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Jackson Jr is probably more of a PF in the NBA. Haas is a big man. 7'2 290lbs.
Yeah, I agree totally. JJJ is a PF that can play some center in the right matchups. I doubt that Haas will ever play in the NBA, and if so, he'll spend most of his time at the end of the bench. He's an offensive foul waiting to happen. I'd love to see Haas out on the perimeter in an isolation switch, one on one with John Wall.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
This is a good point in regards to wiggins and Gay. Often when looking at the defensive end of the floor athletisicm is the "end all be all" but just how Andre Miller "knew" how to always get in the lane even as the slowest player on the court, knowing "how" to play defense such as when to get up on a player, when to help, how to anticipate a pass/shot/drive is probably more important that having great shinny tools ala Wiggins. Doncic on tape from what I can see looks like he knows what he is doing on defense like Bogdan and so while not the most athletic player on the court, is still able to get the job done with their "IQ" making them plus players on both ends of the court
I'm not going to say that athleticism, and lateral quickness aren't important in defense, but the main attribute is desire. You can have all the tools but not use them. Many times some of the best defenders are average athlete's. Larry Bird was a very good defender, but no one would have accused him of being an elite athlete. Some players are blessed with great instincts and seem to know where your going before you do. That's something that can't be taught. But the bottom line is, if you put in the time and effort, your going to be at the very least, a decent defender, and might be a great defender.

From what I've seen of Doncic, and I've watched quite a few of his games, he certainly puts out the effort on defense, and I think he does a fairly good job at that level. We'll have to see how that translates to the NBA. My gut tells me that he won't have any trouble guarding SF's. Can he guard Westbrook in isolation? Ahhhh, probably not, but then, who can?

I think there is a good argument to be made that there is little distinction between the SF and PF today, but I still maintain that Porter is a PF in the long term. I have him as a Dirk type player in the long term—excellent straight-line athleticism and coordination coupled with a sweet shooting stroke and pretty good passing range, but nothing close to the wiggle and handle of Durant. And, I keep coming back to the fact that we already have that Dirk type of PF on our roster, Harry Giles.

He certainly could stay at SF, but he looks like a guy who will easily add 20-25 lbs, and slide down to PF to protect the back a little bit.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Here's a little video of Porter with highlights from the Nike all star game along with some excerpts from practice.
Porter Jr Eye Level.png

Well, then.

Any word on whether Porter might make it back for the end of the college season? I thought I heard some chatter a few weeks ago that he might return.

1. Ayton
2. Bamba
3. Doncic

Ayton and Bamba are can't miss picks barring injury IMO. Doncic looks very good also. The rest of top 8 or so have potential.
I don't think we have time to develop a high school project like Porter.

Last edited:
Yep, considering our guard depth chart is already two deep with good young talent at both spots (Bogs/Buddy and Fox/Mason), I'd be hard pressed to take another guard in the draft, especially when defense has been a huge problem for this team and Young is, well, not exactly Gary Payton on that end of the floor.

While it's sorta the same thing at the big man slot, you can at least justify things with the fact that Ayton and Bagley are both athletic marvels and have absolutely insane potential and Bamba could help on the defensive end where Willie is currently stuck covering for our young guards and Z-Bo.

Of course, if we wind up with the first overall pick, plugging up that SF hole with Doncic is as much a given as anything in the draft can be. Not going to be too sad if we end up with one of Doncic/Ayton/Bagley/Porter though.
I completely agree with ALL of this, without even seeing any of them play all that much. Based on what i know about our current roster, this just makes sense. Go with the big men that have the most potential and the highest ceilings, because our current young bigs outside of Harry Giles, likely dont have superstar potential if we're being honest.

if we somehow end up with a 2 guard that can't defend and is only known for shooting/chucking, im gonna punch a hole
in everything near or around me in that moment. I dont wanna hear about ANY of those kids being the next Klay or Curry. God
help us all if we do.

Yeah, I agree totally. JJJ is a PF that can play some center in the right matchups. I doubt that Haas will ever play in the NBA, and if so, he'll spend most of his time at the end of the bench. He's an offensive foul waiting to happen. I'd love to see Haas out on the perimeter in an isolation switch, one on one with John Wall.
LOL. The point wasn’t Haas in the NBA. The point was bigger stronger players over powering Jackson in the post and getting whatever position they want. We all agree he is primarily a PF at the next level but some do project him as a center and I think he might struggle in that role.

1. Ayton
2. Bamba
3. Doncic

Ayton and Bamba are can't miss picks barring injury IMO. Doncic looks very good also. The rest of top 8 or so have potential.
You the only person I know who would list Bamba as a can't miss player. While I think he can become a good NBA player (and his improvement so far this year), he has a lot of work to do to reach that goal.

LOL. The point wasn’t Haas in the NBA. The point was bigger stronger players over powering Jackson in the post and getting whatever position they want. We all agree he is primarily a PF at the next level but some do project him as a center and I think he might struggle in that role.
Jackson is also barely 18 years old. I think it is safe to assume that he will get much stronger.

You the only person I know who would list Bamba as a can't miss player. While I think he can become a good NBA player (and his improvement so far this year), he has a lot of work to do to reach that goal.
Just my opinion based on watching some game footage of all the players in the top 7 or 8. Both Ayton and Bamba looked dominant with they're size. They both looked quick for they're size and both can shoot. Ayton is much more polished. I like Bamba's build. He is lighter. Might be more suited for today's NBA. Take it for what it's worth. Just my two cents.

I'm surprised so many are high on Ayton. To me, he doesn't look any better than Embiid, Cousins, Davis, Towns or any of the other top big men in the league did in college.

How many playoff teams are led by big men? Cousins and Davis were what, 7th in the West when Cousins went down and there were a handful of teams within a couple games when that happened. We're talking the two best big men in the league paired together. That team basically has two Ayton's and they were fighting for a seed at the back end of the playoffs. Ayton is also a worse defender than both. I just don't see the success in picking him in the top 3. I'm trading back if a team wants him badly.

Look at the TWolves. Completely ineffective with Towns leading them but now a contender with Jimmy Butler there. I see Ayton being a lot like Towns but I think there are a couple Jimmy Butlers up there in the draft that we could snag that would be way more effective toward making a playoff run. I think with the Ayton selection you're going to need yet another high pick in a couple years to even make a run. You may be able to make that run quicker and with less pieces with a Doncic or Porter selection.

I've got Doncic, Ayton and Bags as franchise level players with Mo and JJJ as high end role players. I can't really decide on Porter or Young. We really need a franchise level guy. A guy who can get his own shot and average more than 20 a game. If Fox and 2018 draft pick are our stars, Bogs, Hield and WCS are our higher end role players and Giles is our wild card could be third level star, we might actually have something. Lot of ifs in that equation.

Jackson is also barely 18 years old. I think it is safe to assume that he will get much stronger.
Is it? Not every tall lanky kid gets big. I think projecting him at the 4 is safer. The issue at the 4 is his shot barely rotates. So like most players they all have question marks and risks.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
1. Ayton
2. Bamba
3. Doncic

I think the word project is a bit extreme for Porter. Prior to his injury, he was considered the front runner for the first pick in the draft along with Doncic. He's a very skilled player and hardly a project. As I said, my only reservation with him is how well he recovers from his injury.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Is it? Not every tall lanky kid gets big. I think projecting him at the 4 is safer. The issue at the 4 is his shot barely rotates. So like most players they all have question marks and risks.
Exactly. I remember people making the exact arguement about John Henson and the dude still looks like a twig.

On the other hand, you have Hassan, who was super skinny with the Kings, then got fat, and is now somewhere in between with the Heat.

I'm surprised so many are high on Ayton. To me, he doesn't look any better than Embiid, Cousins, Davis, Towns or any of the other top big men in the league did in college.

How many playoff teams are led by big men? Cousins and Davis were what, 7th in the West when Cousins went down and there were a handful of teams within a couple games when that happened. We're talking the two best big men in the league paired together. That team basically has two Ayton's and they were fighting for a seed at the back end of the playoffs. Ayton is also a worse defender than both. I just don't see the success in picking him in the top 3. I'm trading back if a team wants him badly.

Look at the TWolves. Completely ineffective with Towns leading them but now a contender with Jimmy Butler there. I see Ayton being a lot like Towns but I think there are a couple Jimmy Butlers up there in the draft that we could snag that would be way more effective toward making a playoff run. I think with the Ayton selection you're going to need yet another high pick in a couple years to even make a run. You may be able to make that run quicker and with less pieces with a Doncic or Porter selection.
Your Ayton analysis is very logical, alhough some here may consider it a hot take. But, I concur on potentially trading back, especially if we end up at #2, Doncic is gone, we are able to slide back to #4 or #5, and we grade out Bagley/JJJ/Porter as equivalent prospects, and I think they probably are. It’s worth a conversation. If Ayton comes in to workout and alleviates all concerns regarding his defense, then take him at #2 and don’t look back.

I think the center conversation mirrors the running back conversation in the NFL. It was once the premium position, but how much is it really worth now, and how truly valuable is an elite prospect at running back or center? Of course, the opportunity cost of spending a top pick on a less valuable position in the NFL is much steeper, while selecting a lower tier prospect at a position of need/impact is verboten in the NBA.