What really are the Maloofs intentions?

I'm really beginning to wonder if the Maloofs really want to stay here. There's been NO word on the Arena situation at all.

The Reggie Theus hiring was a total surprise and shock. They didn't even want to give Terry Porter an interview.

I was all for Joakim Noah coming to the Kings, but when I heard Chicago call his name, I thought, "Ok, the Kings don't want Spencer". There's a couple of players still out there such as Al Thornton, Acie Law or Julian Wright.

But then I heard Spencer's name. Yes, he may have an offensive type game, but what about defensively? He average 6.4 rebounds for a 7'1" center. Is the Kings going to be able to use this guy right away? Might as well stick with Brad Miller.

Right now, every team in the WEST is either making trades or trying to. NO WORD at all from the Kings organization. I've been reading from members here that we need to be patient....FOR WHAT? Every team is doing something NOW.

Please, someone, give me some light at the end of the tunnel, because right now I'm disgusted with what has been happening so far.

I think the Hawes was a pragmatic pick at that spot. Not a franchise anchor but a sklled 19 year old who has room for improvement. I'm still hoping that Hawes can be a Divac/Kaman style player who makes people around him better. By all accounts the Kings tried to make some moves on draft night. The sad reality is that the team does not have the assets at this point to make quality moves.

I'm reserving judgement till the start of camp. As a long time fan I want to see a clear direction for the team. I don't see a scenario where it serves the Maloofs for the team to suck. If the team is rebuilding then freeakin rebuild! Rebuild mode Hawes makes sense. Not sexy, but sensible given abvailable assets and personnel.

Right now, every team in the WEST is either making trades or trying to. NO WORD at all from the Kings organization.
The Bee quoted Petrie as saying he was working hard yesterday to make a deal. Not sure you're going to get any more detail from him than that.

I think it's clear they are working to blow this thing up, and have dropped the "re-build on the fly" mentality (contrary to Maloof comments of 40 win potential, etc.) I'm all there with you if we go into training camp with the team as is, but right now we just need to be patient. In reality, a blow-up of this team is going to require at least a 2 year plan because we don't have that one star (aka a garnett say) that will bring many pieces to the table. In reality, we're probably looking at getting enders, young kids with some potential but big question marks, and maybe future mid-1st round picks for our most tradeable pieces (bibby/artest.)

I think we can all complain about how we got to this current state, but we need to be patient with the rebuild.

Also, Spencer struggled against stronger opponents in college. Well, how do you think he's going to play in the NBA?

Rebounding was one of Sacramento's biggest needs after finishing last in the NBA last season in that category, getting outrebounded by 4.5 per game. Spencer average 6.4 rebounds. I just don't get it. Do the Kings not want to improve in the rebounding department?

Yes, they were saying on 1140 yesterday that Petrie was trying very hard all day yesterday to get another pick, but couldn't get anything to work out with any other teams.

The Maloofs want our team to suck, so when people stop going to the games, it makes it easier for them to move the team and not look like the bad guys...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
At the risk of appearing behind even larger purple-tinted glasses than usual, I have to say some of this stuff is really premature.

Petrie TRIED to get more picks. It didn't work out. INDIANA tried, from most reports, to get anything in the draft and it didn't work out. Sometimes real life is a lot tougher than NBA LIVE 2008 or whatever game is in right now.

The Maloofs do not want the Kings to suck. It makes no sense whatsoever. And they don't want to move the team. Owners don't move teams from successful situations and, aside from the arena stuff, the Kings ARE successful. And, on the other hand, if they did want to move the team they would petition the league to do so. It's not about them looking like the bad guys.

Petrie drafts the logical choice at #10 and people question the Maloof's motives? I honestly think there's way too much intrigue being assumed here. If you look at Petrie's comments in the Bee article today, I think he addressed the question of why he chose Hawes. And people need to remember that the Kings staff watched all the players work out. They talked and selected the player that would, in their opinion, be the best choice for the Kings.

Will Hawes work out? We don't know but I do know that I'm not going to question the Maloof's motives over this...

And if that makes me a blind homer, so be it.

Did anyone ask Petrie in the interview why he made this pick if our most glaring needs are this picks most glaring weaknesses?

Someoen really needs to grill Petrie and see what he has to say about this, because seriously I bet 99% of Kings fans would have done better on draft day than what Petrie has done.

if they keep this up, i won't be watching them this season :rolleyes:

I hardly watched them last year.

"Kings game on tonight?! So what! Turn the channel to WWE. At least that is entertaining!"

Ok so maybe I don't watch WWE, but I didn't watch much basketball last year when the Kings were the attraction, and this draft pick really doesn't make me want to watch this year much either.

Don't let the door hit me on the way out either? Nahh.. that's just a dumb comment made by an ignorant person. Just because I am not excited about watching, doesn't mean I am not a fan still. The GM/Owners need to give me somethgin to watch, and they have done a CRAPPY job in doing that. The Kings suck, and will continue to suck when they make these bonehead moves.

Did anyone ask Petrie in the interview why he made this pick if our most glaring needs are this picks most glaring weaknesses?
If you truly want a re-building situation, then the current team's needs are really irrelevant. I would assume, and hope, that this pick was made with the future in mind (which, if you step back is what most people on this board have been wanting).

Of course, if you just hate the pick, then you just hate the pick. But don't worry about how this fits in with last year's team.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Nah haven't had a chance to yet, but I was hoping someone on the radio or something interviewed him and asked the tough question.
You really need to read the article, then, because he pretty much answered your question.

As far as "don't let the door hit you" type comments, I don't think they're anymore out of line than the "I'm not gonna watch the Kings any more."

Hey, if people want to stop watching the Kings, fine. Stop watching. But don't expect those of us who - either happily or unhappily - are still going to watch to stand up and applaud.

Lately this board has been so segmented that, at times, it's hard to remember it's actually a Kings fan board and not a meeting of the debate club. Argument and discourse is what a message board is all about but sometimes the anger and hatred of everything about the Kings just gets to be a bit much.

I'm speaking only for myself here, but I love the Kings. I haven't been really happy with some of the things that have happened, but I still care about the team. When and if the day comes that I no longer care, I cannot imagine coming here and continuing to vent my spleen. It would just seem like a waste of time to me. A few posters - especially last night - not only vented to the point of it being ridiculous but seemingly wanted everyone else to be as angry as they were. That's just silly IMHO.

Anyway, I digress. My point was that you really need to read the article with the comments by Petrie.

People are putting to much into what Petrie said in the paper...he's blowing smoke and giving standardized cliches. ANYONE who has watched the NBA for any length of time has heard the same BS for years from other GM's...it's simply the Kings crest and lances that is blinding y'all.

The Aloof's are running the game, and they have NO idea what their doing, and Geoff is simply being a talking head to the media as they sign his checks.

The GM/Owners need to give me somethgin to watch, and they have done a CRAPPY job in doing that.
You just hit a key statement....they need to give me something to watch, or should I say pay for. I paid for my season tickets and don't have the luxury of wasting thousands and thousands of dollars. The Kings will not win as many as games as they did last year and it will be difficult in selling my tickets for next season. In my opinion, the WEST is getting stronger and the Kings are getting weaker.

The Aloof's are running the game, and they have NO idea what their doing, and Geoff is simply being a talking head to the media as they sign his checks.
Yeah, I bet this pick was all about the maloofs. They are usually into really "sexy" players like Hawes. :rolleyes:

Come on. This pick has Petrie written all over it. From the Bee article, it sounds like he was conflicted over the pick. Hawes is not really the safe pick and i'm sure he knew many would not like it. I would venture to believe he likes him as a player. Whether that judgement is correct is up for debate, but to insinuate the Maloofs are behind this somehow is far-reaching.

Oh I'm sorry, I can't remember when the last time a "sexy" player was brought in? Care to refresh my memory?
Exactly my point. I don't think they generally meddle too much in personel decisions....unless you count Artest which I would characterize as a fairly "sexy" pickup at the time.

To answer the question about not hearing about the arena: Mr. Stern told us months ago that we would get the answers to the arena situation about the time the season started and I think the NBA rep that has been out here said the same thing. I really don't think we will hear anything before that.

No one knows what Geoff Petrie is working on so I can't see how so many write "what he is doing, thinking, not thinking, etc." When have you ever heard of a deal he was involved in out before he makes the announcement? I can't think of one time.

I had to tune out last night--the angry bitter postings weren't helpful at all. The rational opinions, either way, were interesting and I think what this board should be all about. It is a discussion, should be member friendly and enjoyable.

Although Hawes wasn't my first choice, I am okay with the pick and am looking forward to the season starting. Until then, patience is needed--good grief---we don't even know who will be on our team! Annie.

I agree

The initial post questioned the Maloof's motives and I agree. They let Adelman go, hire Mussleman, can't get a new arena, don't make trades while the rest Western Conf. is making deals right and left and now they draft this guy.
The Sacramento Kings will end up in Anaheim or Las Vegas in two years.

It is definetely looking bleak for the Kings at this point. The west will be a living nightmare next season now with the Blazers, Sonics, Spurs, Suns, Jazz, Rockets, Warriors, Nuggets, Clippers, Lakers(if they make some moves), Dallas, and the Hornets. Every single one of those teams are better than us right now. 40 wins? more like 20, unless Geoff makes some damn good trades, which i believe he will succeed in doing (or maybe im just doing some wishful hoping)

No offense, but this is a message board. When has any member forum being friendly and enjoyable? There's too many different personalities for it to become friendly and enjoyable all the time.
I agree, although I seem bitter, I am. This pick left most Kings fans holding their jock, the ones that feel they aren't, IMO, are blinded by 'rah-rah' support...that's fine, to each their own, but this is NOT a friendly conversation, there's a lot more fans like me out there. You read their stuff and it's VERY valid points.

I like this site, but if I have to be friendly and cordial about sports talk, and it's enforced, maybe this isn't the right site for me...

Last edited by a moderator:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I
Don't let the door hit me on the way out either? Nahh.. that's just a dumb comment made by an ignorant person.
Hey, thanks. I'm glad you feel qualified to make that determination. :rolleyes: Maybe it's just an opinion? Maybe you need to re-read the posting rules? Rule #1 applies here, I think. I can provide the link, if you want....

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
No offense, but this is a message board. When has any member forum being friendly and enjoyable? There's too many different personalities for it to become friendly and enjoyable all the time.
This one is most of the time. Respectful, if nothing else. Seems to have lost that this past week or so. I wonder why....

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Mixed Signals

I'm really beginning to wonder if the Maloofs really want to stay here. There's been NO word on the Arena situation at all.

The Reggie Theus hiring was a total surprise and shock. They didn't even want to give Terry Porter an interview.

I was all for Joakim Noah coming to the Kings, but when I heard Chicago call his name, I thought, "Ok, the Kings don't want Spencer". There's a couple of players still out there such as Al Thornton, Acie Law or Julian Wright.

But then I heard Spencer's name. Yes, he may have an offensive type game, but what about defensively? He average 6.4 rebounds for a 7'1" center. Is the Kings going to be able to use this guy right away? Might as well stick with Brad Miller.

Right now, every team in the WEST is either making trades or trying to. NO WORD at all from the Kings organization. I've been reading from members here that we need to be patient....FOR WHAT? Every team is doing something NOW.

Please, someone, give me some light at the end of the tunnel, because right now I'm disgusted with what has been happening so far.
As I've said (and we discussed) before, everything is a mixed signal:

Napier: We'll never trade for Artest; that's what he hears from management.

Napier: The Kings are trading Peja for Artest

Maloofs: We want to rebuild

Maloofs: We think Reggie would be good for coaching Bibby and Artest

Theus: It's "their" team (referring to Bibby and Artest)

Napier: Artest is definitely on the trading block; they want to trade him

Napier: Petrie is the guy who controls player personnel.

Napier: Wonders if Theus is going to have an impact on personnel and whether Artest and Bibby stays or not.

Petrie: We've got to get better defensively (referring to the defensive talent on this team).

Theus: I want to run

Petrie: Drafts Hawes

There are probably many other non sequiters that I've forgotten; those are just a few.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Also, Spencer struggled against stronger opponents in college. Well, how do you think he's going to play in the NBA?

Rebounding was one of Sacramento's biggest needs after finishing last in the NBA last season in that category, getting outrebounded by 4.5 per game. Spencer average 6.4 rebounds. I just don't get it. Do the Kings not want to improve in the rebounding department?
I wouldn't worry about the strength issue. That has more to do with a virus he had. He's about 240 lbs now and has the frame for an easy 15-20 from weight training.

You really need to read the article, then, because he pretty much answered your question.

As far as "don't let the door hit you" type comments, I don't think they're anymore out of line than the "I'm not gonna watch the Kings any more."

Hey, if people want to stop watching the Kings, fine. Stop watching. But don't expect those of us who - either happily or unhappily - are still going to watch to stand up and applaud.

Lately this board has been so segmented that, at times, it's hard to remember it's actually a Kings fan board and not a meeting of the debate club. Argument and discourse is what a message board is all about but sometimes the anger and hatred of everything about the Kings just gets to be a bit much.

I'm speaking only for myself here, but I love the Kings. I haven't been really happy with some of the things that have happened, but I still care about the team. When and if the day comes that I no longer care, I cannot imagine coming here and continuing to vent my spleen. It would just seem like a waste of time to me. A few posters - especially last night - not only vented to the point of it being ridiculous but seemingly wanted everyone else to be as angry as they were. That's just silly IMHO.

Anyway, I digress. My point was that you really need to read the article with the comments by Petrie.

Yah, it wouldn't be a fan board if we didn't have passionate fans arguing w/ each other about a #10 pick right?

All that being said I still hate the pick, and an kinda perplexed on what the Kings are trying to do with the team.

At the end of the day though it's not like I want to fight w/ everyone who disagrees ith me or anything. They have a right to their opinion no matter how wrong it is ;) heh j/k. But seriously Nobody has really given me a good answer on what I am about to write below. Anyone have any insight? I would love to love this pick, but I just cant...

Ok now for the points I would love some insight on;

1. We complained (myself for one) about the lack of athleticism out on the floor.

2. We complained last year at the lack of rebounding out on the floor.

3. We complained about the lack of defense out on the floor.

With this pick how did we address this? I can live with the decision that we are in a TOTAL rebuild where basically we are waiting for Artest, Bibby, and Miller to come off the books before we are a total team. Basically it's Martin, Garcia, Douby, and Hawes that are here. I guess we have to look at it that way. Can Hawes become a top ten center? Sure, why not.... Will Hawes ever be a dominant rebounder? Probally not... As long as he can run the floor and hit open shots, and grab about 8 boards a game while scoring 16-17 and 3 or so assists than I think I will be happy.