What is Webber saying?

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12451944p-13308093c.html

What is Webber saying? He insists trade isn't 'about me and Peja'

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Friday, February 25, 2005

DALLAS - Chris Webber said his emotional goodbyes to Kings coach Rick Adelman and several players after learning of his trade to Philadelphia late Wednesday.

Emotional, he said, because he has grown to admire his teammates as well as his adopted city.

"It's funny," Webber said Thursday from one of his two Granite Bay homes after flying home, "just as much as I didn't want to come (to Sacramento), I didn't want to leave."

Webber said he had no problem with Peja Stojakovic, that he had wanted to win an NBA championship with the Kings and that he had wanted to retire with the team.

But Webber, the Kings' leading scorer and rebounder, also said he decided not to block the trade.

Webber had to waive a clause in his contract that would have been triggered when he was dealt. That clause, however, would have lifted his salary above the maximum level allowed in the collective bargaining agreement.

"I got off the bus (at the hotel in Dallas), and (Adelman) asked me to come to his room because he and (Kings president of basketball operations) Geoff (Petrie) needed to talk to me," Webber said. "Geoff told me there might be a trade. I told him I didn't want to leave. I wanted to win a championship here with these guys.

"But I knew that if I didn't have that clause in my contract, I probably already would have been traded, so I wouldn't stand in the way."

Webber said he met with Adelman after the deal had been consummated, and both called their conversation emotional.

"He said some very nice things to me," the coach said of Webber.

Said Webber: "People can criticize me all they want, but I know coach Adelman opened up my style of play through all types of injuries. He trusted me and allowed me to expand my game.

"Before I came to the Kings, I played in the post quite a bit and not out on the floor. But because of the system we used in Sacramento, that was not the way I played here. So I wanted to thank coach Adelman and coach (Pete) Carril and coach (John) Wetzel and E.T. (Elston Turner), because I think it's not likely that I'm going to get to work with a group like that again.

"Not in business or basketball or anywhere else, I'm guessing."

Webber also spent time in his room with Bobby Jackson, Mike Bibby, Maurice Evans and Kevin Martin that he said also helped soothe the pain of the business of pro basketball, in which players sometimes are sent away from where they want to be.

A day and a plane trip back to Sacramento later, the effects of the deal still hadn't truly hit Webber.

"I'm purely shocked," he said. "I didn't expect this."

Webber said he hoped people would not believe reports that he had problems with Stojakovic.

"I had no problem with Peja and told him numerous times how much I wanted him to stay (in Sacramento)," Webber said.

"Even in the summer," when Webber was quoted as saying his team had been soft in the playoffs, "there was never anything directed at Peja, because I wouldn't do that to him. My comments were directed to us as a team, no matter how people want to take them. It was about us getting it together as a team. People shouldn't make this about me and Peja."

Soon Webber will board a plane for Philadelphia to begin one more phase of a star-crossed career. But he won't be alone. He was traded with Matt Barnes and Michael Bradley.

Barnes, a former Del Campo High School star, was unavailable for comment.

Webber said he initially had concerns about Philadelphia's demanding fans. "I really worried about how the city of Philly was going to accept me," he said, "but then about five minutes after the trade, (Allen Iverson) was on the phone with me, and that made me feel better."

^^ what is this clause in his contract? did he have a no-trade clause?

so he could've opted to stay and the kings couldn't do anything about it? if so, wow. that was an unselfish move by cwebb. he put the team's interest first. he obviously didn't want to leave sacramento, but maybe geoff convinced him that it would be for the good of the team. right now (since i still can't believe he's gone) i hope he didn't waive the clause. :(

after reading this article - it makes me wonder how unlucky Webber really was to have the media rag on him the way they did...I have never believed in any of this Webber vs. Peja stuff....both of them became great players together - evolved their games together...it is sad that most people still cite their "discord" as a reason for Webber leaving Sacramento

LMM said:
^^ what is this clause in his contract? did he have a no-trade clause?

so he could've opted to stay and the kings couldn't do anything about it? if so, wow. that was an unselfish move by cwebb. he put the team's interest first. he obviously didn't want to leave sacramento, but maybe geoff convinced him that it would be for the good of the team. right now (since i still can't believe he's gone) i hope he didn't waive the clause. :(
I believe he had a clause that would kick up the money owed to him if he was traded. He probably thought that there was no sense in exercising it if they didn't want him here.

Zyphen said:
I believe he had a clause that would kick up the money owed to him if he was traded. He probably thought that there was no sense in exercising it if they didn't want him here.
Exactly. Team has been exploring an option, they know you have a no-trade clause, but they go down the road of basically working out a deal before asking you whether you will waive your no trade clause? There's not really an "option" there at that point. It *may* have been a little different had Petrie/Adelman mentioned this to him before lining up the offer from Philly --- that might indicate that they were receiving offers, but they didn't really want to get into things without knowing what CWebb would say.

The timeline is all speculation on my part, of course.

Zyphen said:
so basically he could have earnd even more money and stayed with a title contender...I personally see it as a disgrace that he is treated so poorly...if you look at all the other stars, they were traded this season beacuse either they forced a trade or demanded more money (see Shaq, Nash, Carter, T-Mac)....webber though clearly wanted to stay with the Kings but was forced to leave through a trade that doesnt even improve the Kings hopes this year, IMO. Worse yet is that despite the fact that he turned this franchise around, he has to leave knowing he wasnt wanted.

reading that made me sad all over again. Webb really believed that they had a shot at a championship, and however farfetched, his passion made me believe we had a chance. This team will be different without him, and I already miss him. I think he showed a lot of class by not exercising the no trade clause (and it also cleared that up for me, because I THOUGHT he had one). He has too much pride to stay where he isn't wanted. The 76ers know that he will play his heart out and make their team better, and they are lucky to have him.

4cwebb said:
Exactly. Team has been exploring an option, they know you have a no-trade clause, but they go down the road of basically working out a deal before asking you whether you will waive your no trade clause? There's not really an "option" there at that point. It *may* have been a little different had Petrie/Adelman mentioned this to him before lining up the offer from Philly --- that might indicate that they were receiving offers, but they didn't really want to get into things without knowing what CWebb would say.

The timeline is all speculation on my part, of course.
i dont think Webb had a "no trade clause" i think he had a "trade kicker" clause. Kenny Thomas had one as well- he did not wave his trade clause and his salary is jumping 15% a year.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I ahve never thought that Webb ahd any problem with Peja or wanted him out of town. Quite the opposite in fact -- he has been steadfast in supporting him for years now. If there was ever any resentment there, it was one way only. And if there was, Webb's conduct through this should give more than a little pause to the resenters.

WalMatt23 said:
i dont think Webb had a "no trade clause" i think he had a "trade kicker" clause. Kenny Thomas had one as well- he did not wave his trade clause and his salary is jumping 15% a year.
Webb's clause would have effectively made this a no trade because if it wasn't waived, the trade wouldn't have worked money-wise.

Thomas is just a freeloader. He knows this is as good as it gets for him and he's milking his contract for all its worth.

Webber is a class act. He gave up millions of dollars. The whole point of the kicker clause was to give him job security here. He's got too much self-respect to stay where he's not wanted. And he's obviously not wanted given the crap that was exchanged for him. I just can't believe that's the best we could do. Some people in the organization must really want him gone to not even wait till the offseason.

I thought those were some nice comments Webb made. Nice to see him leave in style.

He really brought some great things to the Kings and has given us a lot of great memories.

I cannot wait to see the Philly game here, hopefully he gets a 20 min standing O... A half time tribute would be nice also. That would be a good time retire his Jersey.

^the fans now have to deal with CWebb coming back to Sacramento and DC coming back...i dunno if they can take it?

if i were there i wouldn't even be able to stand up and clap...id be sobbing in my seat

Zyphen said:
Webb's clause would have effectively made this a no trade because if it wasn't waived, the trade wouldn't have worked money-wise.

Thomas is just a freeloader. He knows this is as good as it gets for him and he's milking his contract for all its worth.

Webber is a class act. He gave up millions of dollars. The whole point of the kicker clause was to give him job security here. He's got too much self-respect to stay where he's not wanted. And he's obviously not wanted given the crap that was exchanged for him. I just can't believe that's the best we could do. Some people in the organization must really want him gone to not even wait till the offseason.
First of all Webber is a Class Act. After reading the article it shows that he has respect for his former teamates and the Kings Organization.

Secondly I do not think that the Kings could have waited till the offseason to trade him. The reason that the Sixers took this deal is because AI was not happy with his supporting cast. He wants to win a Championship and he needed other big time players on the team to make that happen. Although Webbs injuries are a risk I think that was their best oppertunity for a chance at a title this year. I do not think any other team would have traded a SuperStar for what they could get in return from the Sixers. With that being said I think that the Kings have been looking for a way to trade Webb but the offers were not coming in, and the Sixers were the only team that were willing to take the risk at this time.

I don't think we ever would have won it all with Webb, but it's really difficult to see such a class act like that go. He's really been the consummate professional and no one in Sacramento will ever forget him.

We were 1 free throw or 1 point made in game 7 against the Lakers in regulation away from a title. I guess if that isn't close I don't know what is. You act like the Nets were going to be some road block in our way. We were 1 point away in regulation from a title. Just like the Blazers were 1 quarter a way. Maybe if Peja was healthy in 2002 it would have made a difference, how bout Chris in 2003, or Chris and Bobby in 2004. We have NEVER been fully healthy in the playoffs during any of these 3 runs. NEVER.

It made me very emotional to read Chris' comments.
He is holding up but you can tell this is not something he wanted to do. Too bad this had to happen, but it is all business after all.

Good luck Chris!

p.s. .... and maybe, just MAYBE, one of these days people will finally be able to put the whole Webber vs. Pedja thing behind them, and not talk about it. I think everything (referring to their friendship) was blown out of proportion and I am shocked by the number of people who are actually making this whole trade to be Pedja's fault.

Nice Article Mr. McNeal

Puts a whole different perspective on things .... also brings to light some of the decision-making on style of King's basketball.

TheSerbianQueen said:
It made me very emotional to read Chris' comments.
He is holding up but you can tell this is not something he wanted to do. Too bad this had to happen, but it is all business after all.

Good luck Chris!

p.s. .... and maybe, just MAYBE, one of these days people will finally be able to put the whole Webber vs. Pedja thing behind them, and not talk about it. I think everything (referring to their friendship) was blown out of proportion and I am shocked by the number of people who are actually making this whole trade to be Pedja's fault.
^I agree with this post. I also got emotional reading what Webb have to say. He's a great guy. I knew that Webb didn't want to leave Sac. He's been saying so many good stuff about his teammates.

And Barnes...defintely didn't want to leave too. He wasn't available for comments? I bet that guy probably cried when he found out he got traded to the East. :( Poor Barnes...tried so hard to stay with his favorite NBA and hometown team. Even tried out for the Kings while other teams offer him more money to go there. I really love Barnes for trying so hard like that. It's always great seeing players wanting to play for your team. I will also miss all of Barnes hustle and heart plays. Cannot ask for more.

Chris is one classy guy concerning this. I am also going to miss Matt Barnes. My HS alma mater, and this was his dream come true playing in his hometown. Poor guy.

gangdogu said:
I don't know if the link was posted before but still I'd rather double post than don't do anything.

http://www.kxtv.com/storyfull1.asp?id=9422

It's an article with a video attached to it. ::tear:: :'(
how can anyone not cry after seeing that? :(

"I loved my time here. I'm going to miss everybody. It was a wonderful ride here. It was something you get to experience once in a lifetime." and "sacramento will always be in my heart.." --chris

Wish he never got injured or we would never see him leave. This is sad. Always pissed at the Mavs about that since playing them injured him twice, the last time being the serious one. :\