What has to happen to move forward next year

Throw a big (not a max) number at Kuzma.
I'm ok with Kuzma, he is also a guy Monte has wanted before. He gets a bad rap. His defense may not be great right now, but he has good size, speed, and plays the PF. People thought Fox doesn't play defense, but with the right coach and motivation he is a pretty good defender. Kuzma is a good spot up shooter, and maybe not quite elite playmaking but he is pretty good at it. His playmaking is similar to Monk, he will make you say wow a lot but then also leave you scratching your head at times.

I'd also be ok with Christian Wood. He gets a lot of hate as well for no reason. But he is a very efficient scorer, grabs 10 boards/36 , and blocks 1.5 shots/36. He would be a good fit next to Sabonis.

We have seen what Mike Brown can do, and has done to players that were thought to be bad defenders. Both of these guys have more than enough athleticism to be good defenders, but probably need the right motivation and environment.

how much are we losing from a guy who only was able to get 15mpg in must win games we’ll be overpaying for mediocre play just unreasonable
Yeah this.

Season on the line in 2 of the biggest games in Kings history (honestly. Or at least in the last 20 years), coach showed us that HB wasn't the guy to take this home. He kept with Huerter who struggled just as bad (if not moreso) than HB in the final 2 games. HB is the consummate team guy, but I do feel like that's hard to just go back to normal when your coach basically benches you in 2 must-win games.

I'd bet he's gone at this point. Outside the age core, likely only to get worse rather than better on the other side of 30, the only spot in the starting 5 that makes logical sense to upgrade and you have Keegan who can hopefully step into his role as a better and more consistent #3 option next season.

I think we probably need 2 players: a post-defender and rebounder who can also give us an interior target to throw the ball to when the outside shots aren't falling and a 3 and D wing who can match up against taller players that just isolate and shoot over our guards but are too quick for Murray to stay in front of. I like Onyeka Okongwu for the first role if we can sign him out of Atlanta and Matisse Thybulle for the second role and we hope that his improved outside shooting this season continues.
the kid is taking over for capela

I'm ok with Kuzma, he is also a guy Monte has wanted before. He gets a bad rap. His defense may not be great right now, but he has good size, speed, and plays the PF. People thought Fox doesn't play defense, but with the right coach and motivation he is a pretty good defender. Kuzma is a good spot up shooter, and maybe not quite elite playmaking but he is pretty good at it. His playmaking is similar to Monk, he will make you say wow a lot but then also leave you scratching your head at times.

I'd also be ok with Christian Wood. He gets a lot of hate as well for no reason. But he is a very efficient scorer, grabs 10 boards/36 , and blocks 1.5 shots/36. He would be a good fit next to Sabonis.

We have seen what Mike Brown can do, and has done to players that were thought to be bad defenders. Both of these guys have more than enough athleticism to be good defenders, but probably need the right motivation and environment.
have you seen him play honest question? I have for Luka reasons, we don’t want or need that dude all we’re doing is adding a shot first and second player whose also a cone on defense and doesn’t understand his role

I think we probably need 2 players: a post-defender and rebounder who can also give us an interior target to throw the ball to when the outside shots aren't falling and a 3 and D wing who can match up against taller players that just isolate and shoot over our guards but are too quick for Murray to stay in front of. I like Onyeka Okongwu for the first role if we can sign him out of Atlanta and Matisse Thybulle for the second role and we hope that his improved outside shooting this season continues.
I think Christian Wood fits this team and it is what we needed to replace Barnes. Wood can shoot 3 and post up...and I think his post up game is more dominant than Barnes simply because Wood is bigger, taller and harder to guard. Barnes had to work hard to get foul inside the paint. Wood is effortlessly due to length and size. Also, unlike Barnes...Wood does much more such as block shots and rebound much much better due to his length. Also an alley-oop dream for Fox. Just look at this highlights....I said it's time to remove Barnes and sign Woods. He's an unrestricted free agent and Dallas does not want him back.

Last edited:
have you seen him play honest question? I have for Luka reasons, we don’t want or need that dude all we’re doing is adding a shot first and second player whose also a cone on defense and doesn’t understand his role
Yes, I've seen them play a lot. Is he bad on defense? Sure. That whole team was very bad at defense though. I also saw Kidd jerk him around the lineup, and start Powell over him, who is just as bad at defense while also being far worse on offense. He can also be a bit of a blackhole at times, but he was quite efficient at scoring. He also grabs a good amount of rebounds, an area we need help in. Maybe Mike Brown can help him with his defense like he did Wiggins, who knows, but it's worth at least talking about.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I'm a believer in the Fox/Ox duo, and Keegan will make it a big 3 sooner than later. Great complimentary core.

Monk is gonna be our perennial 6moty contender, man is an assassin and I feel like everybody raves about the good vibes he brings to the team.

I still like Heurter, I hope we keep Lyles. Len should get more time next season, because he seems to be exactly what we want (defensive/enforcer type big).

Barnes in a reduced bench role wouldn't break my heart but neither would letting him walk. Good dude, but definitely the weak link in our starting 5.

I think a lot of this team's growth will come organically. Fox continuing to improve is a given, he was about to go full superstar before the injury. Domas is still young enough to add to his game. If Davion ever get consistent from 3 it would be huge for us.

I think McNair's main job this summer is to fill in the cracks and upgrade our end of benchers. Brown and growth from our core top 8ish players are gonna be the ones driving improvement next season.

Yes, I've seen them play a lot. Is he bad on defense? Sure. That whole team was very bad at defense though. I also saw Kidd jerk him around the lineup, and start Powell over him, who is just as bad at defense while also being far worse on offense. He can also be a bit of a blackhole at times, but he was quite efficient at scoring. He also grabs a good amount of rebounds, an area we need help in. Maybe Mike Brown can help him with his defense like he did Wiggins, who knows, but it's worth at least talking about.
analytic guys like Kuzma including Vecenie who’s opinion I value. He actually is pretty decent on defense. This board thought Wiggins was trash even after he started showing promise so as you pointed out reputation is winning out here. Having said that, I do worry about a high usage guy coming in blocking Keegan as he has a chance to be a high usage guy that is efficient.

We are fresh off the loss so people’s opinions will probably change as we get further into the off-season. I still lean slightly towards a Barnes reunion coupled with the draft picks and lower level signings but I could feel differently later on.

First we would need to identify what our areas of need are, or how we could become even better at scoring. I'm currently of the opinion that experience is what the team needs most. I don't know that adding a player like Kuzma or like MPJ would move the needle.

For those wanting Kuzma, you have to ask yourself.. are you willing to shell out 30-35 mil per year for him. He's not gonna go for anything lower than 30 mil per year for sure. I would only pay that much if I'm pretty certain that he's the guy for us and I can't say that I am certain.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
the kid is taking over for capela
They traded Huerter to stay out of luxury tax territory last year then extended Bogdanovic for the exact same salary. Now they have DeJounte Murray with one year left on his contract and they're already over the cap before they re-sign him. All I'm saying is there's blood in the water as far as their contract situation is concerned. Either their owner has a complete 180 on paying luxury tax or they're losing one of those guys (Murray or Okongwu).

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I think Christian Wood fits this team and it is what we needed to replace Barnes. Wood can shoot 3 and post up...and I think his post up game is more dominant than Barnes simply because Wood is bigger, taller and harder to guard. Barnes had to work hard to get foul inside the paint. Wood is effortlessly due to length and size. Also, unlike Barnes...Wood does much more such as block shots and rebound much much better due to his length. Also an alley-oop dream for Fox. Just look at this highlights....I said it's time to remove Barnes and sign Woods. He's an unrestricted free agent and Dallas does not want him back.
I like Christian Wood. I had him as a top target last year too. I worry that we can't afford him, but I like the fit if we can.

For those wanting Kuzma, you have to ask yourself.. are you willing to shell out 30-35 mil per year for him. He's not gonna go for anything lower than 30 mil per year for sure. I would only pay that much if I'm pretty certain that he's the guy for us and I can't say that I am certain.
My answer is no. We have our top three: Fox, Domas, and Keegen. We need high quality role players, not another star. Keegan will be a borderline allstar in two years.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Yeah, not a 30 million dollar man. Wouldn’t pay that.

I would like to know Toronto's off season plans. OG would cost, but if there's a chance he'd be my best case acquisition.
Wish I was higher on Huerter. He seems like a great teamate, but I wouldn't be disappointed if he's part of a trade to improve.

One guy I think would fit the Kings seamlessly is someone like Jaden Mcdaniels of the Timberwolves. He's a good shooter with great defense and potential to be elite at that end of the floor if he isn't already. He could guard 1 through 4 depending on match ups. He's also only 22 years old with room for improvement. He will for sure come cheaper than guys like Kuzma or Jerami Grant. I doubt the Wolves will let him go easily though, but with their cap situation who knows?

Needs:

A better defender in the starting lineup to guard wings

A Domas that can sink the midrange jumper with frequency and confidence

A better shooting Davion

Perhaps another 4/5 that can defend and maybe shoot an open jumper

Can't think of much more than this

One guy I think would fit the Kings seamlessly is someone like Jaden Mcdaniels of the Timberwolves. He's a good shooter with great defense and potential to be elite at that end of the floor if he isn't already. He could guard 1 through 4 depending on match ups. He's also only 22 years old with room for improvement. He will for sure come cheaper than guys like Kuzma or Jerami Grant. I doubt the Wolves will let him go easily though, but with their cap situation who knows?
I think he's probably untouchable for the Twolves

Dallas has no talent and announced months ago he ain’t coming back he can go put up those empty stats teams get rid of him for a reason. If he passes once a game you should celebrate and he’s been bad on defense from the get go if he’s getting mono for us next year we went backwards

It's highly doubtful there will be a clear upgrade in FA from HB so I think the better idea is to bolster the role players. Naz Reid and Josh Hart are both those middle tier FA that would be massive improvements to the roster and hopefully Monte targets them. That said Keegan needs to become at 20ppg player with + defense for us to truly become title contenders. Good news is what I saw from game 4 on makes me extremely confident he can develop into that #2 scorer on the team.

It's highly doubtful there will be a clear upgrade in FA from HB so I think the better idea is to bolster the role players. Naz Reid and Josh Hart are both those middle tier FA that would be massive improvements to the roster and hopefully Monte targets them. That said Keegan needs to become at 20ppg player with + defense for us to truly become title contenders. Good news is what I saw from game 4 on makes me extremely confident he can develop into that #2 scorer on the team.
I'd be shocked if Murray becomes a 20 points per game scorer or anywhere near that next season. I think it'll take him quite a few years before he could reach that level if even. Realistically I could see him become a consistent 15 points per game guy next season. Also would like to see him up his rebound more.

I wasn't able to find many super recent defensive highlights but watching this it looks like he'd give you at the very least what Harrison can give you on offense but I think the key is on defense, I think he would be an upgrade there in terms of being able to hold his own against wings.

Maybe he's the answer here.

And I'm thinking about it, yes he's 29, but if he fills a pressing need, there's no reason why you can't swap him out for someone else 3 years down the line when we should be really good and be able to attract good free agents.

So 29 I think he should be able to give a few more years of high level basketball.

Then sign Naz Reid in the offseason as well.

Sign Harry to a lesser deal in a different role or I guess just let him walk if he wants more money

Pay 23 mil to Grant and call it a day

I wasn't able to find many super recent defensive highlights but watching this it looks like he'd give you at the very least what Harrison can give you on offense but I think the key is on defense, I think he would be an upgrade there in terms of being able to hold his own against wings.

Maybe he's the answer here.

And I'm thinking about it, yes he's 29, but if he fills a pressing need, there's no reason why you can't swap him out for someone else 3 years down the line when we should be really good and be able to attract good free agents.

So 29 I think he should be able to give a few more years of high level basketball.

Then sign Naz Reid in the offseason as well.

Sign Harry to a lesser deal in a different role or I guess just let him walk if he wants more money

Pay 23 mil to Grant and call it a day
He reportedly turned down a 28mil per year extension from the blazers. He's not going to take anything less than 30mil per year. That being said if Monte insist on paying someone 30+ mil a year I would rather have Grant over Kuzma because of his defense.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I'd be shocked if Murray becomes a 20 points per game scorer or anywhere near that next season. I think it'll take him quite a few years before he could reach that level if even. Realistically I could see him become a consistent 15 points per game guy next season. Also would like to see him up his rebound more.
Scoring all depends on how aggressive he lets himself become. Maybe he comes out of his player shell when he isn’t a rookie. Rebounding is fine. He improved as the season went along, especially after a coach lecture. I was worried for a minute about that, but he showed he has what it takes to be a solid one.

He reportedly turned down a 28mil per year extension from the blazers. He's not going to take anything less than 30mil per year. That being said if Monte insist on paying someone 30+ mil a year I would rather have Grant over Kuzma because of his defense.
Man, maybe you just do it.

We need to take a leap, and that should pay dividends in the future through being a really good team (better FA, more popularity/more revenue so like a short term long term play here)

If you cheap out and don't address a need, the team becomes not as good, and the consequences of that can be big in the future (less revenue, people wanting out, etc).

How much could Naz Reid want, 17 mil?

But also Portland sucks, maybe that could help us in this case, we could offer a role and being part of a winning culture, that could help us

I agree, year 2 is too soon for 20ppg game but I expect a big leap.