What do we think of Petrie now?

As to the topic of the thread, I still feel the same way I did before. I'm confident that as long as Petrie is GM'ing the Kings, they will never go more than a couple years without having a quality team on the floor, and that we're lucky to have a GM that can give us an entertaining team year in and year out.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
jeffjcalweb said:
really?? the spurs haven't had a PF who avg 19+ 9+ at the PF spot? Did Tim Duncan retire and I missed it? huh, would have thought that would be a little bigger news story. Guess Timmy wasn't that vital after all...
Reread my post. It was quite clear. Sorry you missed it.

Duncan hasn't played in 70 the last two years. Shaq in only 1 of the last 4. Elton Brand 1 of the last 3. Kobe has been below that number the last 2, and 4 of the last 6. Etc. Do you think any of those teams cares and goes ooh! We could have Shareef instead?

Your made up stat is correct on its face. But it has no real signifcance.

Different top GMs have different styles. Danny Ainge's downright aggressive style has turned the Celtics franchise around, and given them some depth and youth. The Spurs' GM (Popovich and Buford) have been much more patient, relying on drafting incredibly well internationally and patiently raising their own players. Joe Dumars patiently waits until pulling off a major deal that strikes gold.

And Geoff Petrie is more of a consistent threat--noticeably (but not dramatically) improving his team with each transaction.
He goes with the odds; he makes deals that help the team both financially and basketball-wise; smart, informed deals that probabilistically will help the team. He doesn't make extraordinarily high-risk, gut-reaction manuevers like Isiah Thomas or Ainge, but instead, slowly and steadily builds a team up through trades, signings, and draft picks. As a result, as long as Petrie is here, we'll always have a very solid contender, but we'll never have the incredible star power of a Heat or Laker team or the toughness and experience of a Spur or Piston team, as those require big risk-taking (and big-city allure), or incredible patience.

I think that pretty much sums it up.

Last edited:
what reality are you living in? the kings HAVE NOT HAD a player at the PF spot with the numbers and consistency since webber's first two season in sacto - over 3+ years ago. jeeezus what is so difficult to comprehend there? look at the stats - its pretty much right there. and 69 games and 66 games is pretty damn close, and with 2 seasons of 82 games, 1 season of 81 games - i'd say TImmy earned a couple nights off. damn.

Bricklayer said:
Reread my post. It was quite clear. Sorry you missed it.

Duncan hasn't played in 70 the last two years. Shaq in only 1 of the last 4. Elton Brand 1 of the last 3. Kobe has been below that number the last 2, and 4 of the last 6. Etc. Do you think any of those teams cares and goes ooh! We could have Shareef instead?

Your made up stat is correct on its face. But it has no real signifcance.
what stat did i make up brick? pretty much right off nba.com ....

Bricklayer

jeffjcalweb said:
what stat did i make up brick? pretty much right off nba.com ....
the three stats are not grouped. You artificailly created a category -- 19, 9 and 70 with no meaning that so far as I know that has never been used by anyone at anytime before. Therefore while technically accurate, it is meaningless and artifical.

thesanityannex said:
Do you really think the Kings were the only team drooling at the chance to pick him up for only the MLE?
It doesn't matter what I think or what you think, what matters is what happened. Who else made him an offer or invited him to take a tour of their facilities and city?

Bricklayer

Kev.in said:
It doesn't matter what I think or what you think, what matters is what happened. Who else made him an offer or invited him to take a tour of their facilities and city?
San Antonio was probably still in the market -- problem was, they, like Miami, wanted him to come off the bench. So it came down to title vs. minutes/scoring.

Bricklayer said:
the three stats are not grouped. You artificailly created a category -- 19, 9 and 70 with no meaning that so far as I know that has never been used by anyone at anytime before. Therefore while technically accurate, it is meaningless and artifical.
um, ok.... its pretty easy to add up. stay with me. the kings needed to upgrade their PF spot - at least that is pretty much is/was a consistent theme this offseason.

they just signed a player @ the MLE who has averaged 19 ppg, 9 rpg and avg 74games played each year of his career. so far, those numbers are all relevant to how SAR has performed in his career.

now, here's the part it might get tricky brick, so read slowly (maybe outloud?)

the kings have not had a player at the PF spot since c-webb was healthy, which was by all accounts the 01-02 season that was that consistent.

ta da. that is the point and the only point i'm making. not that SAR is a franchise player, that he will lead the kings to a title. only that SAR is right now the best option the kings have had at the PF since a healthy c-webb 3+ years ago. anything else you try to read into or from that is your own doing. i'm saying for the MLE its a steal.

Bricklayer said:
San Antonio was probably still in the market -- problem was, they, like Miami, wanted him to come off the bench. So it came down to title vs. minutes/scoring.
Call me crazy but I'd take SAR over Walker. I'm assuming that Walker is starting over Haslem.

jeffjcalweb said:
um, ok.... its pretty easy to add up. stay with me. the kings needed to upgrade their PF spot - at least that is pretty much is/was a consistent theme this offseason.

they just signed a player @ the MLE who has averaged 19 ppg, 9 rpg and avg 74games played each year of his career. so far, those numbers are all relevant to how SAR has performed in his career.

now, here's the part it might get tricky brick, so read slowly (maybe outloud?)

the kings have not had a player at the PF spot since c-webb was healthy, which was by all accounts the 01-02 season that was that consistent.

ta da. that is the point and the only point i'm making. not that SAR is a franchise player, that he will lead the kings to a title. only that SAR is right now the best option the kings have had at the PF since a healthy c-webb 3+ years ago. anything else you try to read into or from that is your own doing. i'm saying for the MLE its a steal.
The GREAT debate is not over his numers. It's really a matter of toughness and rebounding. The Kings upgraded their team with SAR, at least IMO. However, it's really a matter of matching up defensively against the other teams. SAR has been most effective at SF. Is he going to be able to match up agaisnt the other PF in the West? I think that is the issue.

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
and considering how unhappy he was when he first got to Portland and had to come off the bench behind Zach Randolph, you have to think that a team looking to sign him as a reserve never was a serious contender for his services.

G_M said:
Call me crazy but I'd take SAR over Walker. I'm assuming that Walker is starting over Haslem.
Nope, it was said Haslem is definitely starting at PF, Walker will play at SF, or come off the bench as a 6th man. He played at SF earlier in his career too. Walker said he's fine with starting or coming off the bench, he just wants to play.

I'd definitely prefer to see Posey start than Walker, he's so good and versatile, and is a favorite. :)

I would of been pretty disappointed if Walker was the starting PF for the Kings, thankfully that rumor didn't go too far with the Kings. The guys questionable 3P shooting, some inconsistency around the basket (missing), horrible FT shooting, and hustle.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

G_M said:
I'm sure they would have too -- SAR apparently got offers from TWO of the serious contenders (S.A. and Miami), maybe the two favorites even, and both were to be 6th men. But he wanted to start. May cost him a title in the end, but I guess when you've never so much as made the playoffs, just going to a winner is enough, title or no.

I assume Walker was the backup plan in Miami when SAR said no. Doubt he will start though -- they already have good baalnce amongst the starters and Haslem is a good match with Shaq. Walker could make an excellent 6th man though, and will no doubt average 30+min if he does.

Last edited:
G_M said:

Hmmm. . .for Miami I would prefer Walker. Proven winner, three point shooter, gets scrappy at times. Walker comes with a whole set of questions, but timidity and winning are not any of them. I think they're more concerned with having guys who can perform on the big stage than with stats. And Reef and Shaq operate in the same space, which has never worked out well with any of Shaq's teammates.

Bricklayer

tyrant said:
walker doesn't have the dicipline and the poise that it would take to accept and appreciate a 6th man role on a contending team.
One would think, but Riley called him in a few days before the trade to talk to him about it, and apparently liked what he heard. Guess we'll see.

Walker, who averaged 19.1 points and nine rebounds last season for Atlanta and Boston, will be a welcome addition to the Heat, said forward Udonis Haslem -- who formally signed his $30.7 million, five-year deal Tuesday.

"We're two different players and we can bring two different things to the table," Haslem said, a few hours before the trade got done. "If we put that together, we should have a pretty good tandem."
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2122976

Walker will be starting at SF. Though like I mentioned, thought I read somewhere he'd be fine with starting or being a 6th man, he "just wants to play".

I'd definitely prefer/have Posey starting though, regardless of Walker's $53 million 5-year contract. I just hope Posey gets 18-23 MPG.

Last edited:
G_M said:
The GREAT debate is not over his numers. It's really a matter of toughness and rebounding. The Kings upgraded their team with SAR, at least IMO. However, it's really a matter of matching up defensively against the other teams. SAR has been most effective at SF. Is he going to be able to match up agaisnt the other PF in the West? I think that is the issue.
hey, that i can agree with. but face it, who else was available? sure, we'd love to have a healthy c-webb, or someone who can match up against the top 3 PF's in the west - so would 12+ other teams in the west. that won't be a kings strength, they will need to find ways to make other teams play against the kings strength - which is what good coaching is about anyway.

;)

Bricklayer said:
I'm sure they would have too -- SAR apparently got offers from TWO of the serious contenders (S.A. and Miami), maybe the two favorites even, and both were to be 6th men. But he wanted to start. May cost him a title in the end, but I guess when you've never so much as made the playoffs, just going to a winner is enough, title or no.

I assume Walker was the backup plan in Miami when SAR said no. Doubt he will start though -- they already have good baalnce amongst the starters and Haslem is a good match with Shaq. Walker could make an excellent 6th man though, and will no doubt average 30+min if he does.
I think it was a risky move by Miami to shake up their team. They were right on the cusp of the Finals with an injured Shaq and an injured Wade. One of Shaq's biggest complaints was that he didn't get the ball enough, especially in game 7. Why trade away one of your valuable core players in Eddie Jones for 2 players who love to jack up countless three's (Walker and JWill)? I don't think Shaq will be too happy standing underneath the basket as those 2 guns heave up 30+ footers all night. Sure, it might appear to be ok early on as Walker and JWill blend in being good teammates but over time both of them will revert back to their old ways. They've been playing that way their whole careers, I just don't see them making radical changes and sticking to it.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I'm Shaq, I'm happy with the trade.

Not only has Shaq had problems with Eddie Jones (who seems to always fade in crunch time) stemming from their Laker days, but this trade does a few things for the team.

First, it provides them with more of a fastbreak threat. A Shaq rebound and a deep outlet could lead to a lot of easy scores with Williams, Wade, Posey or Walker and Haslem running the floor. If the transition defense is there, they wait for O'Neal to jog downcourt and dump it into him to start the halfcourt set.

Secondly, Walker can help with rebounding duties, ESPECIALLY if the Heat are serious about playing him at the three. Shaq has never been a fundamental rebounder and now, sapped of his explosiveness, his numbers are going to continue to decline. The help on the boards is needes.

Also, three point shooting is a post players best friend. As long as Williams and Walker buy into Shaq as the alpha dog, they can deter or punish double teams against O'Neal.

Finally, both are good passers and Williams has become an excellent post entry passer. Shaq will get the ball plenty, and in the right spots.

The only reason I could see Shaq being upset with this move is that it will mean he has to assume more of the defensive responsibilities. Williams has improved, but he still has too many defensive shortcomings/lapses. Then again, Damon Jones is/was a matador so that's not much of a change. Walker is a decent defender but will have trouble if asked to guard quick SFs.

Apropos of nothing, I have always had a question about Jason Williams. Why on earth doesn't that guy take it strong to the hoop on a regular basis? He can blow by almost anybody guarding him, and he is a decent finisher or passer when he attacks the rim, so I don't understand. Maybe we'll see more of that under SVG/Riley. Or maybe they'll be content to let him float around the arc on offense. It will be interesting to see how this experiment turns out.

Shaq has been complaining about not getting the ball enough for years. Having more shooters on the team will not satisfy him. No one was better at getting Shaq the ball than Kobe and since the defense rules have changed..that's a harder thing to do. I don't think Jason Williams will be better at the entry pass than Kobe. As Funky has stated...Shaq's had a major problem with Eddie Jones since their Laker days...where Shaq basically had him traded away.

As far as a fast breaking team with Shaq...I wouldn't put much faith in that. He would have to get the rebound first, which he's having trouble with lately as he has no vertical anymore. Yes, Walker should be a help on the boards.

Shaq has never liked playing defense..so asking him to pick up his defense will not make him a happy camper. Remember the quote.."If the big dog don't get fed, he won't guard the house." ?? Miami will get to deal with his unhappiness now..especially now that he's got his new contrac.

hoopsfan said:
Shaq has been complaining about not getting the ball enough for years. Having more shooters on the team will not satisfy him. No one was better at getting Shaq the ball than Kobe and since the defense rules have changed..that's a harder thing to do. I don't think Jason Williams will be better at the entry pass than Kobe. As Funky has stated...Shaq's had a major problem with Eddie Jones since their Laker days...where Shaq basically had him traded away.

As far as a fast breaking team with Shaq...I wouldn't put much faith in that. He would have to get the rebound first, which he's having trouble with lately as he has no vertical anymore. Yes, Walker should be a help on the boards.

Shaq has never liked playing defense..so asking him to pick up his defense will not make him a happy camper. Remember the quote.."If the big dog don't get fed, he won't guard the house." ?? Miami will get to deal with his unhappiness now..especially now that he's got his new contrac.
That's what I'm saying, they're messing with the chemistry of the team. It's unnecessary. They're bringing in two guys of questionable character. The Heat should've kept the team intact, they very well may have won the whole thing last year had Shaq and Wade been healthy.