What do we think of Petrie now?

sloter said:
One of the top 5 moves since I've been following Petrie (in no particular order):
1) Drafting Stojakovic
2) Getting Divac
3) Bibby trade
4) Webber trade
5) Getting SAR
in no particular order....yet they're numbered...

:p

and the webber trade does not solidify itself as a good move unless petrie gets quality talent or expiring contracts for thomas and williamson.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
sloter said:
One of the top 5 moves since I've been following Petrie (in no particular order):
1) Drafting Stojakovic
2) Getting Divac
3) Bibby trade
4) Webber trade
5) Getting SAR
Knowing you, sloter, I shouldn't even bother to ask, but which Webber trade would you be referring to: the first one, or the second one?

Why is it that everytime ther eis a move someone has to ask "What do you thiink of Petrie now"?

I have always trusted the guy, and will continue to trust the guy. His brain + Maloof money = contenders for many years to come.

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
I agree with that; acquiring Abdur-Rahim had nothing to do with genius on Petrie's part, and pretty much everything to do with a combination of cold feet/ineptitude on the part of OMGZEXECOFTHEYEARRODTHORNOMGWTF~!!!!11!! and dumb luck.
Well I bet GP did think of this senario in advance! He got SAR to come for a visit early on. GP rolled out the red carpet, really let him know He was very high on the Kings Hit list, gave him the AAA luxury tour probably with all sorts of free Drink Tokes at the Palms. Heh these guys liked to be wined and dined. GP knew he couldnt offer much more than MLE, GP knew that even though Nets were working out a cool trade deal with blazers that would net a good contract. GP had the foresight to know something could always go south, and he knew if it did We would be on SAR's short list.

Hmmmmm yep Genius!!!!

(as the Biker man drops to his knees, waves arms up and down)

Were not Worthy!
Were not Worthy!!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Jkbiker said:
Well I bet GP did think of this senario in advance! He got SAR to come for a visit early on. GP rolled out the red carpet, really let him know He was very high on the Kings Hit list, gave him the AAA luxury tour probably with all sorts of free Drink Tokes at the Palms. Heh these guys liked to be wined and dined. GP knew he couldnt offer much more than MLE, GP knew that even though Nets were working out a cool trade deal with blazers that would net a good contract. GP had the foresight to know something could always go south, and he knew if it did We would be on SAR's short list.

Hmmmmm yep Genius!!!!

(as the Biker man drops to his knees, waves arms up and down)

Were not Worthy!
Were not Worthy!!
Riiiiight...

captain bill said:
what, we should have traded our core guys for crap and just let the team tank? and then sometime in the future decided, hey, we got some picks, lets start winning! im sorry, but that is how teams like the hawks and clippers are made. im very glad that you are not the gm. i dont care what you think of this aquisition, but intentionally draining talent to go for the lottery is just stupid. maybe if we had some big contracts in final years (we don't) and there were some big FAs we wanted to pursue next summer (there aren't) or if the next draft was particularly good (it's not), your idea would make some since. oh wait, no, it's just bad.
We wouldn't have to dump much talent to be a lottery team. Bibby, Peja and Miller without much help would be a sub-.500 squad. Let the young guys (Martin, Cisco and a re-signed Evans) get their minutes take their lumps and do a lot of learning, take that top 10 pick and move forward.

I didn't say anything about clearing cap space. Summer of '06 wouldn't be the target for that anyway, '07 would be. But we don't need cap space, we just need to add a "star" type player, one on the level of our current Big 3. He has to be a guy who rebounds and defends. Then we come back in with the young wing players, much improved after a season getting major run. Scoop up a few role players, one of the things Petrie has been consistently great at and you've got a more well-rounded team that's ready to do some damage.

Although, because you mention cap space, there could be a plan where we miss the '06 playoffs, let Peja walk, make a few deals for expiring contracts, really stink it up in '06-'07 and get the top pick, to use on Greg Oden. Pick up an All-Star via free agency and go into training camp of October 2007 with Bibby, Cisco/Martin, Miller, Oden, The FA and a bench of tough role players. That's too daring and crazy and realgm-ish to ever really be worth the effort though. But I'd respect it if Petrie went for the home run instead of the base hits to maybe start a rally.

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
Secondly, it was luck. When the guy was only a physical away from being traded to New Jersey, you can't possibly expect anyone to believe that his becoming available had anything to do whatsoever with any genius on Petrie's part. Petrie didn't trade for Abdur-Rahim; he signed as a free agent. Unless you seriously believe that Petrie tampered with the Portland/New Jersey trade (and, that stupid photoshopped picture aside, that's just silly), you can't give Petrie more than minimal credit for this one.
Yes, I can. He pulled out the red carpet on the first attempt, giving a good first impression. Shareef was reported as having three serious suiters, that first impression may have played a role the second time around. Other than that, simple luck.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
whozit said:
Yes, I can. He pulled out the red carpet on the first attempt, giving a good first impression. Shareef was reported as having three serious suiters, that first impression may have played a role the second time around. Other than that, simple luck.
Reach much?

don't hate me for lurking around the lakers forum (no worries- i only read it to read their response to SAR), but even they give a ton of respect to GP.

someone wrote:
How the hell did they get him for one year at the mLE?

someone's answer:
Simple - they have a GM that actually knows how to do his job.

Kev.in said:
by the same Geoff Petrie who picked Peja Stojakovic for the Sacramento Kings in that draft as well?
Okay, yeah, my mistake. I always forget Peja was in that draft because he didn't come over till two years after. ;)

Last edited:
Slim,

As a matter of fact, yes.

On a serious note, I do believe NJ initially thwarted the intentions of the Kings. They got cold feet and the offer was still there. The waiting game may have payed off this time ("may" is simply because I don't know it was intentional). It would have been easy to commit elsewhere and not had the ability to pursue.

I believe the passing threshold was "minimal credit," and that was easy to meet.

Last edited:
Is it one year or not? Because if it is a one-year rental I am OK with it, but if they locked him up for 5 years I will be extremely disappointed.

^^ I feel the other way about it Venom...

1 year is a waste, we could have a player with nice trade value just leave us. A 1 year deal makes no sense unless the team has an option for year 2.

Myself we don't know the details but I don't think its a 1 year deal

I have always rated Petrie extremely highly. He is a GM that knows what he is doing and he has a vision. More often that not he gets the best end of the deal. This is another one of those moves that add to his ability as a GM.

Great get Petrie!!!!!!

O

ONEZERO

i love petrie... so he has to get etan thomas or reggie evans which i think he will do in time.

Venom said:
Is it one year or not? Because if it is a one-year rental I am OK with it, but if they locked him up for 5 years I will be extremely disappointed.
Yeah, I disagree. We would have too much "lame duck-itis" going on with the team. He is still young. Think about it. When his contract ends, he will be as old as Webber is now. Not only that, but his contract is FAR from crippling. Wow, I think its safe to say we have been rebuilt. Man, that was quick!

Bonzi AND Shareef. If someone would have told me we would get one I would have been ecstatic, but BOTH!!! No way. I can't believe it. :cool:

sactown, nice persepctive on SAR and his age/contract status. really, no matter how you look at it the numbers are there: 19 ptts, 9 rbs and 74 games played a year.... when is the last time Sacto had a PF with that consistency. is he the most talented PF or a franchise player? of course not, but he fills a void and makes the kings a better team then they were yesterday.

jeffjcalweb said:
19 ptts, 9 rbs and 74 games played a year.... when is the last time Sacto had a PF with that consistency.
his name is chris webber, and he was an all star power forward putting up much better numbers than that not more than 3 years ago.

Webber had a great comeback till he was traded to Philly. The move was for long-term reasons, and not just involving two or all of the philly three being moved...