What could the future (rest of this season) hold for the Kings?

Look at the loss column. It's not going to take 41 games this year.

Griz 28-28 with JJJ out now.
Blazers 32
Spurs 32
Pels 32
Kings 33

Griz have Clips and Rockets on the road before the Kings game on Friday and the Lakers on 2/29.
Kings have Warriors and Thunder on the road. If they can pull off 2 wins and Griz lose all the games the Kings can be 1 back in the loss column going into March.

March 1st will show where the Kings chances stand.
The Grizzlies are just 1 of the teams. You also have to put the Suns in the conversation if you're putting the Kings in. Last year the Kings were in a much better position and couldn't get it done, granted this team seems to have righted the offense lately. They've had 3 losing streaks of 5 or more games. Realistically they'd need three 5+game winning streaks, and they have not showed that kind of consistency over more games the whole season. I think 36 wins is reasonable with at least 2 maybe 3 of the other teams finishing ahead. Espn recently had a percentage calculation for making the playoffs - Kings were at 2.9%. Highly unlikely. You can chop up the needed wins as much as you like, but the Kings are already in too deep a hole. The other teams ahead of them can afford more losses too.

Last edited:
But that's not the question. The question is IF the Kings somehow make it into the playoffs, would that be enough for you to support keeping Vlade and the coaching staff as is.
The answer is a resounding NO.

We are not a good team, and have little room for improvement. We don't have a generational talent like, say, Luka (thank you Vlade), we are likely to lose Harry (thank you Vlade), we are bound to overpay for Bogi and may have to deal with a disgruntled and expensive bench player in Buddy (thanks Luke and Vlade) and this team still does not have a clear identity, both offensively and defensively. Instead of developing a clear system, how we play is depending too much on who is healthy and who is hot (thank you again, Luke and Vlade).

On top of that, and that is a matter that has been overlooked by many, Vlade's "best" deal this offseason (signing Holmes) is nothing but a two year rental, because he will be a UFA and we won't have his Bird rights.

Oh, and next year there will be a lot of pressure to put the ball in Bagley's left hand (and take it out of Fox's hands), so we can finally see what we have there and if we have to take up his option.

Next season, likely the Warriors will be healthy with a high pick added, the young Grizzlies will take another step, NO may have a full season of Zion and some added pieces and with Nurkic and Collisn back, Portland will likely be better than us again. But who knows, we may leave the Spurs and Suns behind us.

So, no, I really don't want to see Vlade at the helm this off-season and I don't care much for Walton either, no matter what a late season push may bring.

Griz got smoked by the Clips, but the Suns go to Utah and beat the Jazz by 20!

Tomorrows score watching.

Kings at Warriors
Celtics at Blazers
Pels at Lakers

Kings 4 back in the loss column from the 8th seed.

Well ... yes but I would still call for an overhaul of the scouting/drafting folks - including Vlade's say in it.
I’m with Mac here. You can’t not reward coaching and even management for that kind of late season push. It shows that players are receptive to the system and stability is important. However, management needs to acknowledge that they have been less than mediocre in the drafting process and make necessary changes.
Vlade has always been a good bloke in my book, he just has to step aside from that which he lacks aptitude for.

Last edited:
The question is IF the Kings somehow make it into the playoffs, would that be enough for you to support keeping Vlade and the coaching staff as is.
Hard pass. Vlade has had enough time. His drafting and overall strategy has been horrible. Wether we luck out this year (somehow getting the 8th seed and getting swept in the 1st round) or not, this team hasnt been led well. Theres been way too much incompetence to justify keeping this decision making group together. That group is the reason why we wont be a serious contender for many years

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
We need Memphis to spiral or New Orleans/SA/Portland won't matter
They're down 3/4 of their big man rotation with Clarke and JJJ out and Crowder in Miami. I don't want to keep drawing parallels to us last season but trading the team's emotional leader/ veteran presence in the name of "acquiring more talent" is almost always a short-term disaster. Shump is out of the league now but he was probably the second most important person on the Kings last season behind De'Aaron Fox last year when we were making our run.
Their makeshift SF rotation of Jae/Kyle Anderson/Josh Jackson is now essentially down to Kyle Anderson and more Josh Jackson than is probably healthy for a team making a playoff run.

Without JJJ, Clarke, or even Crowder, I'm not sure the Grizzlies have enough firepower to stay on top of this race barring Ja taking another step and taking that ROY award by force or Dillon Brooks turning into CJ McCollum.

What ever happens these next two games may make or break our chances of making a final push.
If we win both Thursday and Friday I believe we have a good chance to be there at the end.

But whatever we do the next game against the grizzlies will be a must win not only for the kings and others behind them but what it could do to help the near collapse of grizzlies as their season is on the breaking point.

They're down 3/4 of their big man rotation with Clarke and JJJ out and Crowder in Miami. I don't want to keep drawing parallels to us last season but trading the team's emotional leader/ veteran presence in the name of "acquiring more talent" is almost always a short-term disaster. Shump is out of the league now but he was probably the second most important person on the Kings last season behind De'Aaron Fox last year when we were making our run.
Their makeshift SF rotation of Jae/Kyle Anderson/Josh Jackson is now essentially down to Kyle Anderson and more Josh Jackson than is probably healthy for a team making a playoff run.

Without JJJ, Clarke, or even Crowder, I'm not sure the Grizzlies have enough firepower to stay on top of this race barring Ja taking another step and taking that ROY award by force or Dillon Brooks turning into CJ McCollum.
And they have the toughest strength of schedule.

What ever happens these next two games may make or break our chances of making a final push.
If we win both Thursday and Friday I believe we have a good chance to be there at the end.

But whatever we do the next game against the grizzlies will be a must win not only for the kings and others behind them but what it could do to help the near collapse of grizzlies as their season is on the breaking point.
I thought winning 2/3 against gs, okc, and Memphis would have been good, but agree that Memphis is a must win.

Oubre getting a second opinion, but likely out for the season with a torn meniscus. That might help keep Phoenix from leaping us, although Ayton has been beaaasty lately

It’s interesting that when other teams miss players it is an opportunity and then a win is a win but when we miss players it is a valid excuse and a loss gets an asterisk.

Fox doubtful.

It’s interesting that when other teams miss players it is an opportunity and then a win is a win but when we miss players it is a valid excuse and a loss gets an asterisk.

Fox doubtful.
Honestly, I'd be fine with him missing this game if it gives him a little more rest for Friday vs the Grizzlies, by far the most important game of the season. We can afford to lose this one; the 3 games after are a much different story.