What are you reading?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Book 5, Cut Off, seems to be getting some of the story lines to coalesce into clarity. The story focuses on Hawaii and the South Pacific, with a couple of the parties mentioned previously eventually joining forces to start wiping out enemies in various locations. There is more discussion on goals and what the next apocalypse was going to be, and how it was to be achieved. This book may have been the most "satisfying" so far in the series by starting to pull together some of the loose threads.
Book 6, Captives, continues to bring characters together, including bringing back a character you thought was gone from the series. It continues to focus on the LA area. My issue with this series is that at times the plot lines seem pretty provincial instead of addressing the worldwide apocalyptic issues, but we’ll see how it comes together. It may be that one of the overarching problems is more limited in scope than is readily apparent? Still, an entertaining entry in the series pulling previous loose “threads” together.

Last edited:

Warhawk

Staff member
Book 6, Captives, continues to bring characters together, including bringing back a character you thought was gone from the series. It continues to focus on the LA area. My issue with this series is that at times the plot lines seem pretty provincial instead of addressing the worldwide apocalyptic issues, but we’ll see how it comes together. It may be that one of the overarching problems is more limited in scope than is readily apparent? Still, an entertaining entry in the series pulling previous loose “threads” together.
Book 7 - Relapse - continues to bring characters from the previous books together, ties up some story lines, and again brings the focus to LA at the end. While there is a reason LA is a focus of the book (and, generally, the series), vast swaths of the planet not discussed at all or only briefly in passing (Africa, South America, Russia, Middle East, Europe, etc.). The series has only really visited the LA basin (predominantly), NY, Redding/Oregon, Hawaii, some South Pacific areas including Australia and NZ, and a few other places in the US, leaving me feeling like there should be more story told that is getting left out. However, this book primes the series for a big finish that has been hinted at and is coming to fruition.

Warhawk

Staff member
Book 7 - Relapse - continues to bring characters from the previous books together, ties up some story lines, and again brings the focus to LA at the end. While there is a reason LA is a focus of the book (and, generally, the series), vast swaths of the planet not discussed at all or only briefly in passing (Africa, South America, Russia, Middle East, Europe, etc.). The series has only really visited the LA basin (predominantly), NY, Redding/Oregon, Hawaii, some South Pacific areas including Australia and NZ, and a few other places in the US, leaving me feeling like there should be more story told that is getting left out. However, this book primes the series for a big finish that has been hinted at and is coming to fruition.
Book 8, Blackout, is possibly the best of the bunch. It does a good job of wrapping up all the storylines. It leaves open the possibility for more books in certain ways but is still a satisfactory conclusion to the series.

Warhawk

Staff member
Humble Pi by Matt Parker. A mixture of comedy and mathematical/engineering miscues both past and present. Hawk may like this one since its up his engineering alley
I just finished this one and it was an enjoyable read. The author indeed digs into "mathematical/engineering miscues both past and present" - things like bridge and building engineering blunders, getting decimal points wrong, funny things that happen when computer code isn't written correctly, etc. Thanks for this recommendation as well.