What are you reading?

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Just finished book 4 of The Expanse, Cibola Burn. I find myself enjoying the books after watching the shows because the books add a lot of detail that the shows gloss over (or I just missed?). Good stuff.
Just got back from vacation - before I left and while gone for 3 weeks I read the rest of the books in this series:

• Nemesis Games
  • Babylon's Ashes
  • Persepolis Rising
  • Tiamat's Wrath
  • Leviathan Falls
Also:
  • Memory's Legion (a collection of interesting short stories in The Expanse universe that tie into the books)

I just have to say that they are excellent and well worth reading the entire series. Highly recommended.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I forgot to note when I finished Wheel of Time, book 4, Shadow Rising.

I just finished book 5, Fires of Heaven - and these two are the longest books in the series so far (looks like the next one is indeed the longest of all 15). Again, good stories, a few more characters to keep track of than I'd care for, and the books are long. I find myself skimming some paragraphs that are mostly descriptive just because of the length of the books. But still recommended!

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I forgot to note when I finished Wheel of Time, book 4, Shadow Rising.

I just finished book 5, Fires of Heaven - and these two are the longest books in the series so far (looks like the next one is indeed the longest of all 15). Again, good stories, a few more characters to keep track of than I'd care for, and the books are long. I find myself skimming some paragraphs that are mostly descriptive just because of the length of the books. But still recommended!
Just finished book 6, Lord of Chaos - and the refrain gets a bit stronger. Good story, but the first half of the book should be trimmed significantly to get the story moving quicker. Just so many paragraphs that don't actually advance the story. The second half of the book moves much more quickly, thank goodness. Glad to be done with the longest book of the series - feels like I'm on the downhill side! :)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Just finished book 6, Lord of Chaos - and the refrain gets a bit stronger. Good story, but the first half of the book should be trimmed significantly to get the story moving quicker. Just so many paragraphs that don't actually advance the story. The second half of the book moves much more quickly, thank goodness. Glad to be done with the longest book of the series - feels like I'm on the downhill side! :)
You're about to hit the infamous slog so you might want to hold off on the celebration. It took me months to grind through books 8 and 9

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Decided to delay delivery of the next couple Wheel of Time books by a couple weeks to switch things up a bit (catch up on some TV, etc.), but did just polish off the new Lincoln Child novel, Chrysalis. Quite a change from WoT - finished it off in just about 4 hours. :)

An easy read, the action keeps moving and there are a couple of plot twists here and there. But as I've said before, he and his writing partner (Douglas Preston, who he collaborates with frequently) have seemed to move more towards less complex or involved storylines towards easy reads that might be easier to make into movies, for example. Sometimes I wish they would get back to the writing they displayed in Relic.

But it was an enjoyable read overall and definitely was something I was needing before the next couple of WoT books are available on the Libby app.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I keep forgetting that I have numerous books sitting in my Kindle app on the iPad - with Amazon Prime you get to select a free book every month from a selection they provide. While most they offer each month don't interest me, I pick up one every other month or so but with the deadlines for reading the books on Libby, I tend to leave the Kindle books sitting there for "whenever I get around to them". I decided to read one of them - City Dark by Roger Canaff. A decent little murder mystery thriller that keeps moving and has some interesting characters. The bad guy is a bit too omnipotent, for lack of a better word, but overall it was an enjoyable and fairly quick read. Nothing earth-shattering, with a twist introduced in the last 1/5 of the book I didn't see coming.