Welcome Isaac Jones

I’m curious if this guy has a path to a rotation player. On the surface the answer seems to be no. He didn’t shoot at the college level, isn’t a plus rebounder or defender, not much of a face up game and is geriatric in the world of prospects. On the other hand he seems to do the little things and shows flashes in some of the areas that he on the surface isn’t strong. Hoping to see a lot more in Vegas

I’m curious if this guy has a path to a rotation player. On the surface the answer seems to be no. He didn’t shoot at the college level, isn’t a plus rebounder or defender, not much of a face up game and is geriatric in the world of prospects. On the other hand he seems to do the little things and shows flashes in some of the areas that he on the surface isn’t strong. Hoping to see a lot more in Vegas
If there is a team where he has a shot, it is us. With Sabonis, Len, Lyles, DDR, and Keegan, we have 5 rotation front court players for 144 minutes (not including Jalen till he proves himself). Unless roster some other significant change, this is a pretty thin spread for a long season. Given our glut of guards, I expect to see significant minutes for three guard rotations. However, we will need help any time we play teams with big wings.

Doug was raving about IJ in the post game the other day. Says he is for sure an NBA player. Jones said himself the first couple of games he was adjusting to a role he wasn’t used to and then things really clicked for him.

I’m not going to get my hopes up yet but would he awesome if he was a mid year call up after killing it in Stockton.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doug was raving about IJ in the post game the other day. Says he is for sure an NBA player. Jones said himself the first couple of games he was adjusting to a role he wasn’t used to and then things really clicked for him.

I’m not going to get my hopes up yet but would he awesome if he was a mid year call up after killing it in Stockton.
The Kings currently have 13 players on traditional contracts. Because they have to stay under the first apron, they are limited to signing guys at the veteran minimum. McNair in the past has shown a willingness to leave a roster spot open for the sake of flexibility, but I can't see him leaving two open roster spots.

Right now the team has:

C Sabonis/Len
PF Murray/Lyles
SF DeRozan/Huerter/McDaniels
SG Ellis/Jones/Carter
PG Fox/Monk/McLaughlin

I have to imagine they sign a big, likely a third center or ideally a guy who can swing between the 4 & 5. But that would still leave a roster spot. I definitely wouldn't mind if one of the guys on a two way deal were signed to a traditional contract, and while Mason Jones is a likely candidate, Isaac Jones makes more sense. Either way, that would open up a two-way deal for Boogie Ellis.

I have to imagine they sign a big, likely a third center or ideally a guy who can swing between the 4 & 5. But that would still leave a roster spot. I definitely wouldn't mind if one of the guys on a two way deal were signed to a traditional contract, and while Mason Jones is a likely candidate, Isaac Jones makes more sense. Either way, that would open up a two-way deal for Boogie Ellis.
This is the same as my takeaway from watching all the Kings summer league games. I thought Isaiah Crawford was still really raw, I would do the above scenario as well and elect to keep Isaac Jones, Mason Jones, and Boogie Ellis out of everybody in the summer league roster.

Unless my math is wrong and we can only keep 2 of those 3. IJ and IC are currently our two-way guys and Mason is a RFA right?

This is the same as my takeaway from watching all the Kings summer league games. I thought Isaiah Crawford was still really raw, I would do the above scenario as well and elect to keep Isaac Jones, Mason Jones, and Boogie Ellis out of everybody in the summer league roster.

Unless my math is wrong and we can only keep 2 of those 3. IJ and IC are currently our two-way guys and Mason is a RFA right?
Mason is on a 2 ways, Teams get 3.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mason is on a 2 ways, Teams get 3.
Correct.

We can keep three, but as Section 101 noted, we already have three guys signed to two-way deals: Isaac Jones, Crawford, and Mason Jones.

I'm not sure if a team can just revoke a two way contract or not. I wouldn't think so. But they definitely can sign a guy on a two-way deal to a traditional contract which would then free up a two-way slot for someone else.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
We can keep three, but as Section 101 noted, we already have three guys signed to two-way deals: Isaac Jones, Crawford, and Mason Jones.

I'm not sure if a team can just revoke a two way contract or not. I wouldn't think so. But they definitely can sign a guy on a two-way deal to a traditional contract which would then free up a two-way slot for someone else.
I'm pretty sure you can straight up cut a guy on a two-way, can't imagine why not.

But they probably try to sign Ellis to an Exhibit 10 contract and have everybody fight it out in camp.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure you can straight up cut a guy on a two-way, can't imagine why not.

But they probably try to sign Ellis to an Exhibit 10 contract and have everybody fight it out in camp.
I don't know either. It's kind of a raw deal if the two way binds the player but not the team, but you may be right.

We'll see if another team offers Ellis a two way deal before camp. It doesn't look like there are many of them left around the league so the Kings may end up holding on to him.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I don't know either. It's kind of a raw deal if the two way binds the player but not the team, but you may be right.
Well, I would assume - not having looked super close into all the two-way stuff - that if you cut them they'd still get the guaranteed portion of the deal. I don't imagine it would work different than other deals.

Now, I suppose it's technically possible that Crawford or the Joneses are on Exhibit 10 contracts, but I think those were all reported as full two-ways.

"Unlike in the NHL, two-way contracts are not offered to every aspiring NBA player, but are intended for players whom a team would like to keep "on retainer" without having to sign to a full-time contract. However, some players drafted during the second-round of an NBA draft can be retained by teams under a two-way contract as an alternative signing method for them. Two-way players are typically considered to be the "16th and 17th men" (and presumably "18th") on a roster.

The two-way contract system benefits young undrafted players who do not want to play professional basketball overseas and want to play in the NBA, as well as those who believe an organizational investment in them is beneficial toward their development. Some player agents have been concerned about this system, because in exchange for guaranteed employment at a higher salary than a typical G League player, two-way players give up the freedom to be called up from the G League by any NBA team, possibly one with intent to sign the player to a 10-day contract, which could eventually lead to a full-time NBA roster spot sooner than with a two-way contract."

Meanwhile...

"An Exhibit 10 contract is a one-year, minimum salary agreement that isn't guaranteed. It can also include an optional bonus of up to $75,000 that will be rewarded if a player, after he's waived, spends at least 60 days with a team's G League affiliate.

This makes the Exhibit 10 contract a helpful tool to bring in players to compete during Summer League for a roster spot on an NBA team or its G League affiliate. Each team can have up to six Exhibit 10 contracts at a time.

An Exhibit 10 contract can then be converted into a two-way contract, which would also make the bonus money guaranteed. Each team can have a maximum of three two-way contracts, and this conversion must be done prior to the start of the regular season.

If a player on an Exhibit 10 contract is kept on the 15-man roster past the start of the regular season, his contract becomes a standard minimum deal. This is the only time it'll have an impact on the team's salary cap, since Exhibit 10 and two-way contracts don't count."