Webber in "Glas Javnost"

piksi

Hall of Famer
http://www.glas-javnosti.co.yu/danas/srpski/S04101207.shtml

I found this article and it was also quoted in several other Serbian webseits. Originally for "sportskacentrala.com" This is MY translation of it. Take it any way You want.

"I miss Vlade"

His trading cards are almost worthless in Serbia. kids trade them for the cards of any other NBA player. They do not like him anymore because of Vlade and Pedja with whome Kings PF "spoiled" (could not think of a better word) his relationship.

Vlade was like "our father"

Webber missed the first preseason game against GS. He also missed 2 practices because of the swelling on the operated knie which started the discussion about his ability to fulfill all the expectation of the management and the fans (outside Serbia)

" I feel very good and hope that "god will help me" to stay healthy this season. I spent most of the summer in DET with my family working hard to raise my level of physical readyness. I did not go on vacation and worked every day hoping that that is the formula for the succes for this season."

Webber used heavy words for several teammates after the eliminations in the PO against MIN. Eventhough he did not name names most of the people recognized Vlade and some of them Pedja in those words mostly because Pedjas desire to leave Kings. Not long ago Webber clarified that he did not mean Peja but he did not mention Vlade.

up till now, untill he was asked about Kings chances of winning the title.

"You know what - I miss Vlade a lot. The whole team misses him. Still I think we have a good team this season. Looks like I will be ready to play on the high level from the beginning of the season so I think we have a chance of winning the title this year."

Is Vlade's absence going to influence Kings in any way?"

He was a leader of this team. He was like father to us, great in the lokerroom and excelent on the floor. His presence will be extremly missed and I hope that we can still stay a great team without him."

Can Ostertag fill in in his shues?

"He will definitely be able to replace Vlade on the floor. but nobody can replace his personality and his presence."

Do You believe that Kings could have done more to keep Vlade?

"I wished we kept him but these things are not under my influence. We could have paid the same money LA did but at least he has gotten good money for the next 2 seasons which he deserves."

Is it going to be strange playing agains him at least 4 times a year ?

"Of course it will as is always is when You play agains Your formet teammate.In those games I will use many tricks that he tought me all these years.I also know that he has many more up his sleaves which he will use agains us. Yeah, those games are really going to be strange."

Can You play together with Pedja ?

I hope that he has even better season than the last one. If he plays well opponent's defense will leave me more room to operate. Same goes other way around. I think that time has come for us to show that we can be great as a pair on the floor so we can get more open shots and easy baskets. I think we will be great this season - said Webber and "stayed alive" "

NOTE: last phrase is a Serbian proverb that questions somebodies sincerety - only meant for the last paragraph.

Again this is my translation of the interwiev for sportskacentral.com Take it any way You want.

I saw someone elses translation of this interview (which pretty much parrallels yours) except theirs had one final question

q: Do you think you can really return to the same level of playing as you had two years before the injury in Dallas, and what kind of optimism you have at the start of the season?
a:I think I can, but in order to show that those are not just empty words, I have to prove it only with my game. If I say I'll be good doesn't mean much. I have to prove it playing against tough teams, and to show again to everybody what kind of player I really am. I believe in myself and I'm ready for new challenges. My injury is tough one and for the player of my level it's not easy to come back. I just hope I'll do it and my recovery will be 100%.
The interview is, I think, from the same site?
Thanks for translating, BTW:D

piksi

Hall of Famer
Kingsgurl said:
I saw someone elses translation of this interview (which pretty much parrallels yours) except theirs had one final question

The interview is, I think, from the same site?
Thanks for translating, BTW:D
Well that question is not in this article.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Kingsgurl said:
oh, I see. Different articles, some of the same questions/answers. Confused me;)

http://www2.serbiancafe.com/cir/diskusije/mesg/55/004618141.html?1
No - exactly the same questions and answers except "glas-javnosti" leaving out the last question. Obviously they were more interested in focusing on Webber vs. Vlade/Peja issue than in Webber itself. Very poor journalism on their part but not surprising considering that they "protect" their player no matter what.