Webber feels he's a scapegoat

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/15035927.htm

Webber still feels unappreciated over flap at final home game

By PHIL JASNER
jasnerp@phillynews.com

Nearly 3 months after the fact, it turns out that Chris Webber appreciated the 76ers' Fan Appreciation Night even less than the fans did.

That was the night of the Sixers' final regular-season home game. Webber and Allen Iverson arrived at the Wachovia Center just as the ball was going up against the New Jersey Nets. Neither Webber nor Iverson made an appearance, either to sit on the bench or acknowledge the crowd.

They didn't play the following night in Charlotte, either, in the last game of the season.

"It's over, but if you want the truth, I was made to be a scapegoat," Webber said in an interview on Comcast SportsNet's "Daily News Live."

Webber was speaking from Lake Tahoe, Nev., and will be in Las Vegas from July 28-30 for his "Bada Bling" charity event, designed to raise funds for his foundation.

"I was there the whole game," Webber said. "If you wanted me to come out, I could've come out. I'm a professional if anything, and No. 1, I appreciate my fans more than anything... If I was there the whole game and if I was asked to do something, I very well could have done it.

"The last 5 years, I've probably been hurt two Fan Appreciation Nights, and in Sacramento there's never been a problem. To make it look like I didn't do that for the fans, that ticked me off."

Reached last night, Sixers president and general manager Billy King said in an e-mail response: "Chris was not made a scapegoat. It is unfortunate he feels that way. As an organization, we all have a responsibility to our fans."

Webber said the Sixers knew that neither he nor Iverson would play the final two games, because the team had already been eliminated from qualifying for the playoffs.

Webber, saying he wasn't up to date on the swirling Iverson trade rumors and what the organization was attempting to do, said, as a generalization, "When I was in that situation, that I felt that I had given everything above and beyond what I was called to do [for] an organization... when you hear rumors, any player, you really don't like that.

"So I can just imagine, being all that [Iverson] has done for the city of Philadelphia and the organization, for him to hear the rumors, I'm sure, feels like a slight."

Iverson has scheduled a 4 p.m. news conference today in Washington to promote his charity weekend in that area, including a celebrity softball game tomorrow night, but has indicated he also will address issues with the Sixers.

Webber said Iverson is the reason he agreed to be traded to the Sixers from the Kings a season-and-a-half ago.

"He's the one that called," Webber said. "He's the one that made the trade. I had a [no-]trade clause. I had to accept the trade; people really have to remember that. If I would have said no, the trade wouldn't have happened. He called me later and said his mother was going to cook for me...
"It was because of him, and him only. I'm loyal to a fault, as my mother would say. He's a great player; he brought me there, and hopefully he doesn't have to go."

Whatever might come next, Webber, 33, said: "I plan on playing 4 more years, and I don't have time to rebuild, I don't want to rebuild, I don't want to teach anybody, I don't want to bring anybody up. I want to win a championship. That's what I want to do. I want to win a championship."

Last edited:
I know some people on this board might think I'm a Webber-hater because I frequently defend the Webber trade and don't think he's the player he used to be. It's not true -- I like the guy and consider pre-injury Webber to be one of the greatest and most entertaining players of all time.

But seriously, when did he become such a whiner?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Chris Webber is not a whiner. What he is, however, is WAY too open with the media. And sometimes that comes back to smack him in the face.

If you think he was whining, that's your choice to make. I have to wonder what you were attempting to accomplish with the question, however.

Have a nice day.

G

Groundation

So he says he was at the game so............................why didn't he just step out on the court for a few minutes so the fans could see him?

Chris Webber is not a whiner. What he is, however, is WAY too open with the media. And sometimes that comes back to smack him in the face.

If you think he was whining, that's your choice to make. I have to wonder what you were attempting to accomplish with the question, however.

Have a nice day.
I'm sorry, but complaining that you're unappreciated because you took some well-deserved lumps for not showing up on fan appreciation day sounds like good old-fashioned whining to me. Add this to his whole comments about the coaching after last offseason and about how he doesn't get the ball enough, and I think he has a woe-is-me thing going.

What was I trying to accomplish with the question? I was just sitting here wondering why no one had wished me a nice day. So, mission accomplished!!

So he says he was at the game so............................why didn't he just step out on the court for a few minutes so the fans could see him?
Chris and AI both said afterwards that there was a lack of communication between them, Mo and King. They thought it was better just to stay in the locker room.

everybody knows how much of a webber supporter i am, but there was no excuse for what they did. if they were there, what were they doing instead of watching the game?

E

e'tinas

everybody knows how much of a webber supporter i am, but there was no excuse for what they did. if they were there, what were they doing instead of watching the game?
I am also a huge Webber fan, but what he did seems rather selfish. How much effort does it take to step out on to the court and give a simple wave and smile to all the paying customers.

Speaking of Webber, he's playing with Chuck in the celeb. golf tournament in Tahoe. They have another bet going, supposedly double last year. It's on the golf channel and they're definitely having fun
http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/100-07142006-683532.html
Webber, Barkley bet who is worst Tahoe celebrity golfer

By SCOTT SONNER
The Associated Press
STATELINE, Nev. - The battle is on again at the American Century Celebrity Golf Championship to determine the worst golfer in the field of 81 sports and entertainment stars competing this weekend at Lake Tahoe.
Chris Webber said he and Charles Barkley are going double-or-nothing starting Friday on the $50,000 wager the Philadelphia 76ers center won last year for finishing third-to-last, compared to Barkley's second-to-last in the 54-hole tournament at Edgewood Tahoe Golf Course.
"I'm throwing a big foundation gala this month and I need some of that money Charles owes me for my foundation," Webber said before Thursday's practice round.
"It would be good to double up on that, like in Vegas. It's good to double down, just like blackjack," he said.
Webber shot a tournament-record worst 58-over par in his debut in 2004. But he said he beat his father in a round earlier this year for the first time in his life and is looking forward to making a run at a share of the three-day tournament's $500,000 purse.
"The jinxes, black clouds over me, finding my ball three fairways over to the left and in the creek - all that stuff, all that's gone because I beat my father, so I got that bad luck off me," he said.
Webber said he didn't know what he was getting into the first time he played in the tourney.
"Truthfully, I got tricked into coming," Webber said.
"Someone told me that this tournament was for charity and come have a good time," he said. "And it is for charity, that's the one thing they said that was true. But you don't have a good time because you've got all these sharks out on the golf course talking to you.
"After I broke the course record for being terrible, I wanted to come back and be pretty good."
The two agreed to the bet last year, with the money to go to charities of the winner's choice. Webber said Thursday that Barkley had yet to pay up on last year's bet and Barkley confirmed that.
"I'll get it paid before the end of the week," he said. "You can't really do double or nothing because I've got to pay him first."
Barkley said he looked forward to the challenge.
"C. Web ain't going to beat me," he said. "I'm trying to get my game to peak tomorrow. My only goal at these tournaments is not to come in dead last."
Harrah's/Harveys Lake Tahoe sports book has made Barkley the longest shot in the field to win at 500-1. Webber is 300-1. Last year's last-place finisher, comedic actor Brad Garrett, is not entered.
The favorite to win the $100,000 first-place check is former NHL center Dan Quinn, who is 6-5 in his bid for a fifth celebrity title.
The defending champion is former NFL quarterback Billy Joe Tolliver. Others in the field include former NFL kicker Al Del Greco, NHL great Mario Lemieux, Jerry Rice, John Elway, LaDainian Tomlinson, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Theismann, Marcus Allen, Kordell Stewart, Drew Brees, Mike Shanahan, Lou Holtz, Ivan Lendl, Mike Schmidt, Dan Patrick, Donald Trump, Ray Romano, Cheech Marin and Dan Quayle.

July 14, 2006 12:50 AM

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Webb as a person and loved him as a player, but he is coming off as a complete whiner here. Yes, he is too open with the media at times, but that is exactly what makes him a whiner. I'm sure that every player has had feelings like his at times, but just having those feelings doesn't make you a whiner...voicing them is what does and in light of his words as to his former coach and other things he appears to be crying too much.

I don't know about the rest of you people, but I complain about my job at least 10 times more than any NBA player does about his. What I'd give for the absolute contentment everyone else seems to have with their jobs. Well, either that or people in glass houses...

I don't know about the rest of you people, but I complain about my job at least 10 times more than any NBA player does about his. What I'd give for the absolute contentment everyone else seems to have with their jobs. Well, either that or people in glass houses...
i dont think the slogan for your job is "i love this job".

Sad to see Webber decline, be in a bad situation, and get press like this.

I'm hoping he'll sign with a contender in two years and at least get a shot to be part of something positive again. That Philly situation is just a mess and he can't do anything about it until that contract is over...his skills are just so far below 20mil/year now.

He should just pull an Alonzo: underperform for a season, get traded, fail to report necessitating the team release him (while still paying him), then sign with a title contender. Then he can ride someone else's coattails, and everyone can gush about how heroically he plays. I think the Cavs would be perfect. Oh, he might have to mix in an organ transplant though, because otherwise his actions would probably be completely transparent.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
If any player knows what being a scapegoat is all about it's Webber. Has he done dumb things? Yup. Does he deserve criticisim... Heck Yeah. but I have allways felt the amout of crap he got was WAY disproportinate to what he did. Im prety sure that if the entire 76er squad walked out of a resturant with out payiing the next day the Headlines would read "Webber Skips Out ON $2,000 Bill!"

Webber said the Sixers knew that neither he nor Iverson would play the final two games, because the team had already been eliminated from qualifying for the playoffs.
If I was a Philly fan, I would be kind of upset about that. They pay to go to the game still no matter that they've already been eliminated. I'm sure most people wanted to see Webber and AI play whether they're in the playoffs or not.

If I was a Philly fan, I would be kind of upset about that. They pay to go to the game still no matter that they've already been eliminated. I'm sure most people wanted to see Webber and AI play whether they're in the playoffs or not.
It wasn't just that they were eliminated. Both Webb and AI were playing injured trying to get into the POs. Once they were eliminated, there wasn't a good reason to risk further injury from playing injured.

It wasn't just that they were eliminated. Both Webb and AI were playing injured trying to get into the POs. Once they were eliminated, there wasn't a good reason to risk further injury from playing injured.

I was just going by what the article said since I didn't really follow the Sixers.:)

If any player knows what being a scapegoat is all about it's Webber.
No doubt- some Warriors fans still hold him resonsible for their mess.

I am mixed though, he is whining. He seems kind of spoiled to feel he deserves a championship without having to still put in 100%. It is not like there are not great players who never had a championship.

And the front office should've backed them up. It's just simple logic. They're not playing for anything, so why risk injury to your big contract players. The way I see it, why would you even put your players in this kind of circumstance, where they have to defend themselves. These are the guys who'll sell tickets, so why put them in a situation where there's beef with the fans/customer. Even if Webber and AI flat out said we're not playing at all, you make up an excuse and hide their attitude. It's dumb from a business POV, unless you're trying to trade them. But I doubt Sixers fans would cry foul if either is traded, whether they skipped fan appreciation night or not.

The event should've been planned better, imo. I doubt any ball player, AI or Webber, would've refused to participate or make an appearance for such an event.

The way this was handled says more about how the Sixers are run. Whether you like it or not, these guys are part of your organization, and negative attention is never good.

Webb definitely has always been very candid with the media. He's made the All-Interview team quite a few times, and we definitely now how open he can be about his feelings. It's both good and bad... clearly he is someone who cares a lot (and probably too much in this industry) what others opinion of him is.

At this point in his career it's probably too late to try and change his character that drastically so he'll just have to live with the consequences.

There's always that fat paycheck waiting when he gets home though. ;)

He should just pull an Alonzo: underperform for a season, get traded, fail to report necessitating the team release him (while still paying him), then sign with a title contender. Then he can ride someone else's coattails, and everyone can gush about how heroically he plays. I think the Cavs would be perfect. Oh, he might have to mix in an organ transplant though, because otherwise his actions would probably be completely transparent.
yes, yes, YES! this perfectly sums up exactly how i feel about mourning. man, i hate that tool.

Have a nice day.

well said

Speaking of Webber again, he's going to be on BDSS tonite, talking about his restaurant, Bada Bling and NBA in general. I saw a preview of it and he talks about things he used to do with J-Rose when they were growing up together.