We need Athletic Players Top to bottom

Alright first post...so be gentle.

Have any of you guys thought about how unathletic our core guys are? Bibby, Peja, and Miller - all kind of slow and unathletic (relatively speaking). I think we need to improve our athleticism top to bottom.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
EazyE said:
Alright first post...so be gentle.

Have any of you guys thought about how unathletic our core guys are? Bibby, Peja, and Miller - all kind of slow and unathletic (relatively speaking). I think we need to improve our athleticism top to bottom.
1st of all...Welcome to KingsFans.com. Glad to have you.

Yes, we need athleticism, but I wouldn't get rid of everyone that is not athletic. I don't think you dismantle your core any more than it has been. Well, not much more anyway. But, got to bring in athletic role players to fill out the squad. No doubt!

Welcome!!

I totally agree with what your saying.

But first of all it would be to tough to get a whole new athletic core. If we did it would change our style of play. I actually don't think that we even need to change our core at all. We mainly need to focus on the 2 and 4. If we were to get a very very solid star at one of those then I wouldn't mind giving up our "core."

Last edited:
Is your sig. the all-star team?

Oh it's just the Kings starting 5.

Wowwww I would do anything for those guys to be in Kings jerseys.

How do you plan to get them?

:p :D :) :rolleyes:

I agree with Peja.. Not all 5 need to be super athletic. We just need 1 or 2 athletic starters that can ball. Don't know if I can say it easier then that.

The Kings need 1 strong/athletic big man and 1 strong/athletic guard. That just goes back to the trade threads talking about getting a center/pf and a shooting guard. All 5 starters don't have to be athletic. I think it would be sufficient to have two of them.

PejaHoops16 said:
Is your sig. the all-star team?

Oh it's just the Kings starting 5.

Wowwww I would do anything for those guys to be in Kings jerseys.

How do you plan to get them?
O-tag for KG
oops....the salaries don't work:p

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Mentioned before that I think even our core three players may by themselves be too much unathleticism -- there are 240 minutes to be distributed in a game and those three guys alone are going to play nearly half of those minutes (if each goes 36-40 min apiece). So 50% of your minutes are already taken up by bad atheltes/soft players. But we might just be able to survive if that was pretty much it, and basically EVERYONE else was a strong atheltic player.

BTW, its not just being bad athletes. Its being soft as well. The 80's Celtics were bad atheltes. But they were tough, clutch, and more than a little mean. If you told them they were bad athletes they would probably clothesline you, pound you to dust in the post, and then have Larry jam a dagger three right through your heart when it came time to finish you off. Our guys unfortunately combine TWO undesirable traits (lack of athleticism and softness) and there is a real question whether skill alone is capable of overcoming that, and as a fan whether you'd even want us to try to make it.

Since all we can really do right now is speculate about draft picks, FA signings, trades, and coaching changes, I say that Bibby, Peja, and Miller all work hard this summer and come back as hard nosed, hard core athletes!!!! I CAN DREAM, RIGHT?!:rolleyes: In reality, I hope we keep those three and bring in a SOLID, ATHLETIC PF who only cares about rebounds and knocking people around and an ATHLETIC SG who is a tough perimeter defender. I think I am still dreaming since I can't see to find a scenerio where that works!

No we shouldn't change the core players to make the team more athletic. What i mean was to make the REST of the team athletic from top to bottom since we already have an unathletic core. It's to make up for our lack of athleticism in the core players. Guys like Evans and other athletic front court players would help a lot. We have enough skill already in our three core players.

Bricklayer said:
yes, but he's also probably just about an untouchable player on the roster of a championship contender.
You don't think Detroit would trade Prince for Peja straight up? This year he averaged 14.7 pts and 5.3 boards. His career high in boards is 11. He's a nice player and they might or might not make the trade but let's not think Peja's out of his league or anything. Peja was 2nd in the NBA in scoring last year.

And about athletic players....sometimes we have exactly what everyone says we need, but Rick doesn't play them. They don't come more athletic than Mo Evans. And I've already said my opinion Ostertag many times.

Bartking said:
And about athletic players....sometimes we have exactly what everyone says we need, but Rick doesn't play them. They don't come more athletic than Mo Evans. And I've already said my opinion Ostertag many times.
Umm... Did you just say that O-Tag is an athletic Player?:eek:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Bartking said:
You don't think Detroit would trade Prince for Peja straight up? This year he averaged 14.7 pts and 5.3 boards. His career high in boards is 11. He's a nice player and they might or might not make the trade but let's not think Peja's out of his league or anything. Peja was 2nd in the NBA in scoring last year.
No I don't think they would.

Prince is considerably more valuable to them than Peja would be -- I think you might even be able to argue he was their MVP this season. And he's the absolutely perfect SF for what they want to do -- 2nd Team All Defense and really picked up his offensive game this year as well. And has picked it up even further in the playoffs (going 17.0pts 6.7rebs 4.4ast on .495 shooting so far). He's in that Kirilenko class of invaluable guys who can do it both ways.

Detroit is a team that prides itself on toughness and clutchness...not sure what it is but Wallace, Wallace...Stojakovic just seems wrong somehow. ;)

Last edited: