Voisin: York shouldn't let rejection deter him

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/11953703p-12837972c.html

Ailene Voisin: York shouldn't let rejection deter him

By Ailene Voisin -- Bee Columnist
Published 2:15 am PST Friday, January 7, 2005

This is no time for subtlety or slick maneuvers. This is the time to beg. The man who systematically drove the 49ers into the ground - and that would be the guy at the top, John York - suddenly has a clue. A clue, but probably no chance.
Pete Carroll is too smart for this. Too smart. Too happy. Too comfortably situated.

Too bad.

After coaching USC to consecutive national college football championships, Carroll has enough standing to sit on his accomplishments for a while, to screw up the next few seasons and still be afforded an enviable opportunity to coach in the NFL. And he will coach again in the pros; just not in San Francisco, at least not in the immediate future.

"I have not been contacted, I don't expect to be contacted, and I'm not interested," Carroll told the Associated Press on Thursday when pressed about the 49ers vacancy.

York nonetheless should press on. Coaches routinely deny interest before a romance blooms. They want to be wined and dined. They want to be chased and cultivated. Competitive creatures that they are, they live for the challenge, including the chance to prove their former employers wrong.

And somewhere in the deep recesses of his mind, in the midst of the parades and the parties, Carroll surely is anticipating a day when he encounters the New York Jets and the New England Patriots, the two organizations that previously hired and fired him. The difference is that he can selectively choose his supporting cast.

Ten Years After - oh, wait, he's a Deadhead - the Bay Area native travels with a portfolio that lists two seasons as defensive coordinator of these same 49ers, one season occupied with reflection and philosophical musings about his chosen profession, and four more as the Trojans' general who revived a dormant program, capturing two titles in four years.

No, don't stop now. Try bended knee. Carroll, 53, would be an ideal fit for the 49ers. This is a San Francisco union that would figure to last at least as long as Newsom-Guilfoyle, provided York cuts the deal, signs the papers and then distances himself from football developments.

Carroll has the warmth to charm the community, the interpersonal skills to relate to pros, and the charisma and tactical acumen necessary for any undertaking of this magnitude. If he can do it at USC, why not here? The guy is good.

"You know, I'm not coaching any different now," he said during a news conference last week. "(But) I'm better at it. The signal and the message are more clear. I'm much more settled from the point of how I'm going to do things ... and coach and lead and mentor, and all those things."

All those things the 49ers so desperately crave. Shrewd personnel decisions. Creative offensive strategies. Innovative, but sound defensive tactics. The intangible elements that define leadership.

In so many respects, York's pursuit of Carroll makes tremendous sense. This is a no-brainer, if ultimately a non-starter. York's is a franchise on its knees, the 49ers having recently matched their worst record in history (2-14). The empty seats are sounding a call for the dark curtains, for their first television blackouts since the 1970s. For the first time in what seems forever, the 49ers are threatening to become both irrelevant and invisible.

They desperately need a powerful voice, a sense of direction, a reason for hope. So while the personnel problems are daunting and the notion of hiring a coach before installing a new general manager more than a little weird, an aggressive pursuit of the hottest commodity in coaching is worth the risk.

York has looked foolish before. What's one more time? At this point, inertia trumps lunacy. But he has to be deadly serious about this, or he loses whatever credibility remains. He also has to commit to doing two things: (1) offering Carroll one of the most lucrative packages in the NFL; and (2) giving him significant input on personnel matters - the lack of which Carroll says contributed mightily to his demise in New York and New England.

By contrast, at USC, the engaging, boyish-looking Carroll has everything, including total autonomy and a recruiting machine that is shifting into high gear. Anyone still wonder why Rick Majerus ran off? Or why the UCLA Bruins remain so unduly angst-ridden about their basketball program? They became realists, conceded football decades ago. They would love for Carroll to just go away.

Based on talk show buzz and York's own comments, those associated with the 49ers would also love for Carroll to go away ... and right back to his hometown.

These big-strike opportunities are presented rarely. At the very least, there is no shame in giving it a shot. The 49ers have little left to lose.

Reach Ailene Voisin at (916) 321-1208 or avoisin@sacbee.com.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You might want to do your homework before dismissing him as "just another college coach," because he's all that AND a winning NFL coach.

Carroll might be exactly what the 49ers need; IF York could get him to come to the 49ers.

http://usctrojans.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/carroll_pete00.html

It took energetic and charismatic USC head football coach Pete Carroll only 3 years to restore the glory of the Trojan football program and return Troy to national prominence.

He is 29-9 (76.3%) as a college head coach (all at USC). His losses were by a total of 42 points (4.7 average) and only 1 was by more than a touchdown (it was by 11 points). After starting off his Trojan career 2-5, he has gone 27-4 (87.1%). He is 10-0 in November. His teams already have posted 4 shutouts. He also serves as USC's defensive coordinator.

The 2003 season-his third at Troy-was one of the best in USC history. The Trojans won the AP national championship (USC's first national crown since 1978) and entered the Rose Bowl also ranked No. 1 in the USA Today/ESPN poll but weren't allowed to keep the top spot after winning that bowl because of a contractual agreement which required the coaches to vote the Sugar Bowl winner as their poll's champion (USC ended up second). USC was 12-1 overall (the only loss was by 3 points at California in triple overtime) and, at 7-1 in the Pac-10, Troy won its second consecutive league title for the first time since 1988-89 (and its first outright crown since 1989). His Trojans won their last 9 games (and 20 of the last 21) and posted back-to-back seasons of double digit wins for the first time since 1978 and 1979. For just the second time in history (the other time also was 1978 and 1979), USC swept traditional rivals UCLA and Notre Dame in consecutive years. His 2003 squad featured a potent offense, a stingy defense and productive special teams. USC, which scored at least 20 points in its last 26 games (a school record), had a stretch of 11 consecutive 30-point games (also a school mark) and 7 straight 40-point contests (a Pac-10 record). USC's 534 points was a Pac-10 record. The defense led the nation in rushing defense and was second in turnover margin, forced 42 turnovers and scored 8 touchdowns. And the Trojans topped the nation in net punting. Five TrojansÂ-wide receiver Mike Williams, offensive tackle Jacob Rogers, defensive end Kenechi Udeze, punter Tom Malone and quarterback Matt LeinartÂ-were first team All-Americans (Leinart and Williams finished sixth and eighth, respectively, in the Heisman Trophy voting).

For all this, Carroll was named the 2003 American Football Coaches Association Division I-A Coach of the Year, Home Depot National Coach of the Year, Maxwell Club College Coach of the Year, ESPN.com National Coach of the Year, Pigskin Club of Washington D.C. Coach of the Year and All-American Football Foundation Frank Leahy Co-Coach of the Year. He also was the Pac-10 Co-Coach of the Year (USC's first honoree since Larry Smith in 1988), a finalist for the Paul "Bear" Bryant Coach of the Year, 1 of 6 semifinalists for the Eddie Robinson/Football Writers Association of America Coach of the Year and American Football Coaches Association Division I-A Region 5 Coach of the Year. In early 2004, he received the Chuck Benedict Founders Award (for special achievement) from the Southern California Sports Broadcasters Association, the Orange County Youth Sports Foundation Sportsman of the Year Award, the Spirit of Los Angeles Award from the Los Angeles Headquarters Association and the Vincent T. Lombardi Hall of Fame Award from the Boy Scouts of America San Gabriel Valley Council.

In 2002, just his second season at USC, his Trojans thrived despite playing what was ranked by the NCAA, Sagarin and the BCS as the nation's most difficult schedule (facing 9 AP-ranked teams and 11 bowl squads). USCÂ--which beat Iowa in the Orange BowlÂ--posted an 11-2 overall record and a No. 4 ranking in the final polls, and won the Pac-10 championship while going 7-1. The Trojans also won their last 9 home games. It was USC's first 11-win season since 1979 and its highest ranking since 1988. Troy won its final 8 games (scoring at least 30 points in each), including blowouts of traditional rivals UCLA and Notre Dame (the first time USC beat both in the same season since 1981 and the first time in back-to-back games since 1978). USC led the Pac-10 in total offense (449.3) and total defense (284.9), as well as scoring offense (35.8) and scoring defense (18.5), and was in the NCAA's Top 25 in nearly every team statistical category on both sides of the ball. Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Carson Palmer and safety Troy Polamalu were first team All-Americans. Carroll was 1 of 8 finalists for the 2002 Paul "Bear" Bryant Coach of the Year Award and was 1 of 4 runners-up for the 2002 American Football Monthly Schutt Sports Division I-A Coach of the Year Award.

Carroll brought big doses of experience, enthusiasm and leadership in his quest to revive the USC football program when he was named the Trojans' head football coach on Dec. 15, 2000 (he signed a 5-year contract). After USC started off his opening 2001 season slowly at 1-4, Carroll stayed the course and got his troops to rally by winning 5 of their last 7 games (including the final 4 regular season contests) to finish at 6-6 overall. USC, which won its last 5 Pac-10 games after beginning league play at 0-3, placed fifth in the conference at 5-3 and earned a berth into the Sega Sports Las Vegas Bowl. Putting an exclamation point on the regular season was a 27-0 blanking of No. 20 UCLA, USC's first shutout in the crosstown rivalry since 1947 and the series' biggest margin of victory since 1979.

The 52-year-old Carroll has 29 years of NFL and college experience, including 13 on the college level.

He was the head coach of the NFL's New England Patriots for 3 seasons (1997-99) and New York Jets for 1 year (1994). He guided the Patriots into the playoffs in his first 2 seasons, winning the AFC Eastern Division title at 10-6 in 1997 and advancing to the second round of the playoffs, then posting a 9-7 regular season mark in 1998. His overall record in New England was 27-21 in the regular season (including 8-8 in 1999) and 1-2 in the playoffs. He owns the franchise's second-best winning percentage (54.9%). After serving as the Jets' defensive coordinator for 4 seasons (1990-93), he became the team's head coach the following season. His 1994 Jets went 6-10. Only 3 other Jets head coaches won more games in their rookie campaign.

He spent the next 2 years (1995-96) as the defensive coordinator with the San Francisco 49ers, who won the NFC Western Division title both seasons. The 49ers were 11-5 in the 1995 regular season when they had the NFL's top-ranked defense and then went 12-4 in 1996.

Carroll began his coaching career at the college level, serving as a graduate assistant at his alma mater, Pacific, for 3 years (1974-76), working with the wide receivers and secondary. He then spent a season as a graduate assistant working with the secondary at Arkansas (1977) under Lou Holtz as the Razorbacks won the 1978 Orange Bowl, and then a season each as an assistant in charge of the secondary at Iowa State (1978) under Earle Bruce (the Cyclones played in the 1978 Hall of Fame Bowl) and at Ohio State (1979) under Bruce. That Buckeye squad lost to USC in the 1980 Rose Bowl. He next spent 3 seasons (1980-82) as the defensive coordinator and secondary coach at North Carolina State, then returned to Pacific in 1983 as the assistant head coach and offensive coordinator.

He entered the NFL in 1984 as the defensive backs coach of the Buffalo Bills, then held a similar position with the Minnesota Vikings for 5 seasons (1985-89). The Vikings advanced to the playoffs his last 3 years there, getting to the NFC Championship game in 1987. The 1988 team was 11-5 in the regular season and the 1989 squad won the NFC Central Division crown with a 10-6 mark. His secondary averaged 25 interceptions a season and led the NFL in passing defense in 1989.

Carroll spent the 2000 season as a consultant for pro and college teams, doing charitable work for the NFL and writing a column about pro football for CNNSI.com.

Carroll was a 2-time (1971-72) All-Pacific Coast Conference free safety at Pacific and earned his bachelor's degree in 1973 in business administration. He received his secondary teaching credential and a master's degree in physical education from Pacific in 1976. He was inducted into the Pacific Athletic Hall of Fame in 1995.

He was a 3-sport (football, basketball and baseball) standout at Redwood High in Larkspur, Calif., earning the school's Athlete of the Year award as a senior. He played quarterback, wide receiver and defensive back. He then played football at Marin Junior College in Kentfield, Calif., in 1970.

He was born on Sept. 15, 1951 in San Francisco. He and his wife, Glena, who played volleyball at Pacific, have 3 children: sons Brennan, 24, who played tight end at Pittsburgh (he previously played at Delaware) and is now an assistant at USC, and Nathan, 16, and daughter Jaime, 21, a senior at USC who played on the Women of Troy's highly-ranked volleyball team which competed in the 2000 NCAA Final Four. His late father-in-law, Dean Goranson, received his master's degree from USC.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Carrol was a milksop of an NFL coach. I was right here watching him -- he was basically a softie. One of those coaches who couold get just exactly how many wins you could minimally expect, but never win the big ones or really put his stamp on anything.

Now he's gone back to school with some excellent success, and maybe that means he's learned a few tricks. Maybe. But just as often what that really means is just that the guy may not be the greatest coach, but he's just a top notch recruiter. Basically he gets to be a GM there, and may just be doing a great job of getting th best players more than being agame-changing coach.

VF21 said:
You might want to do your homework before dismissing him as "just another college coach," because he's all that AND a winning NFL coach.

Carroll might be exactly what the 49ers need; IF York could get him to come to the 49ers.

Boy oh boy, did you misquote me or what? I said he was a GREAT college coach like Erickson, not just another college coach. If you're gonna play devil's advocate to everything I say regarding the 49ers please do so in the context of my original responses.

Erickson was a very successful college coach. I remember when Carroll was with the Niners and frankly I wasn't too impressed. He has a great team at USC. I don't know how well he would do with a franchise in shambles looking for an identity. I think they need a tougher presense than a player's coach. Remember, Bill walsh and George Seifert were tough son of a guns despite outward appearance. I've been a Niner fan since '76 so I think I'm a bit qualified to have an opinion on the state of the team. :)

The niners would be better off going after Romeo Crennel and staying away from another college coach who couldn't cut it in 2 stints as a NFL coach. Crennel, IMO, is the kind of personality the Niner's need and I could see the defense making bigger strides next season.

Although Caroll's said he isn't interested, I have a bad feeling York is going to try and lure him over and give him full reigns as GM/coach. Next thing you'll know, instead of trading down, Caroll drafts his very own QB .. I'd hate to see the niner's stuck with Leinart.

VF21 said:
Until last year (pre USC title), I would have given a heavy edge to Dennis Erikson, he has two national championships. He was even able to take Oregon State to the number two ranked team in the nation (got shafted by the BCS). Record wise ,excluding this year b/c the 49ers gave him ZERO talent to work with, these two coach are nearly a wash, at both the college and the pro level. If Erikson is "just another coach", so is Carrol.
IMO, they are two great coaches and both would be destroyed next year as this teams coach. The niners problem is not coaching. They are the least talented team in the nfl, and it isn't reaaly close.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
hoops4kings - The point of my comment was that Carroll isn't and hasn't been JUST a college coach. He also has NFL experience which was pretty evident by which parts of the article I chose to bold.

I'm sorry if my phrasing was misleading. My point was in response to your comment:
Carroll has only shown that he's a great college coach, just like the guy the 49ers just fired
That statement certainly makes it look as though you thought Carroll's experience and relative success was only at the college level.

VF21 said:
hoops4kings - The point of my comment was that Carroll isn't and hasn't been JUST a college coach. He also has NFL experience which was pretty evident by which parts of the article I chose to bold.

I'm sorry if my phrasing was misleading. My point was in response to your comment:

That statement certainly makes it look as though you thought Carroll's experience and relative success was only at the college level.

Hey, we're both Niner fans and just want things to get better. I knew about Carroll like any other knowledgable Niner fan should. If I thought he'd make this team a lot better I'd be all for it. It's just my opinion that York the dork had him in mind as a knee jerk reaction because he just won back to back championships in college. York is a not a football guy, which I know you and everyone else already knows. I think he should be looking to get some outside help on choosing a coach. I'm hoping they don't blow it this upcoming draft. They really need a good GM to use these draft picks wisely.

BTW, I didn't have anything against Erickson (because he didn't have much to work with, plus injuries), but I thought Donahue was a joke as a GM. I'm soooo glad they got rid of him but the timing is dubious at best.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I liked Erickson partially because I am a HUR-RI-CANES fan. ;) (Which also explains why I was so glad when they grabbed Dorsey, who I think still has a good chance at becoming a very good NFL QB). As far as Donahue and York the Dork go, we are in total and complete agreement.

I am still very afraid that York will find a way to screw up the draft pick. You know, something like trading it for a couple of over-the-hill veterans with expiring contracts and some French bread? I have NO respect for York and I think it will be a cold day in hell before he ever does anything in the best interests of the team.

I think the last time we had the #1 pick, we traded it for an over the hill OJ Simpson. I hope they don't make a blunder that monumental again. My guess is that they'll trade down in the draft to get more picks. There really isn't a clear cut #1 choice this year. Then again, there's a lot of rumors that they'll go after Rodgers from Cal.

I'm not sold on Dorsey yet. I'm glad he got some experience this year though. Pickett may have the most overall natural talent, but he's too raw at this point. If Rattay can stay healthy and avoid the Steve DeBerg syndrome of throwing late game blowing interceptions, we might be fine at QB for the next couple to few years.

I don't follow the NFL nearly as closely as I do the NBA... but with both the Broncos and Seahawks going out early, I've read here and there that both coaches may be in the hotseat.

Based on nothing scientific, I'd love to see Shanahan here... however I'm guessing he'll be sticking around Denver. Holmgren might be a bit more likely... maybe both guys would come at too steep a price however.