Vegas Summer League observations

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I was able to watch the Cavs-Magic, Kings-Grizzlies, Lakers-Rockets, and Wizards-Hawks games in person.

From game 1, DeSilva looked good in his minutes and I also thought Anthony Black and Jett Howard were impressive for Orlando. Nobody on Cleveland looked very good. Emoni Bates was the only guy scoring for them in the the fourth quarter. Jaylon Tyson got his pocket picked a couple times in embarrassing fashion. He might not be as NBA ready as I thought.

Game 2 was Kings and Grizzles and the game got out of each quickly. Boogie Ellis and Mason Jones were the only Kings players who I thought played well. Keon Ellis made some nice plays but he also made some really bad ones on both ends. Isaac Jones was basically unplayable -- not a good first impression for a guy who's already signed a two-way. Memphis' players in general were just too strong and physical for our roster to contain. Jake LaRavia and Cam Spencer both got hot from deep. I was also really impressed with Isaiah Miller who is fast and explosive and ran circles around our guards.

Lakers fans packed the house for Bronny James and cheered any time he checked in to the game. He did nothing of note and basically looked like a player who had no business competing at this level. Reed Shepard was probably the player of the day. He was fantastic on both ends. Some of his size limitations were evident on switches but other than that he flat out dominated. Knecht scored a lot of points but 6 of them were after the game was all but over and Houston pulled their starters. He was less impressive than the stats suggest.

The last game of the day for me was by far the best. Risacher showed out early but then went quiet for awhile before making a final push in the last 5 minutes. He needs to get stronger and I don't trust his handle yet but he looked better in person than any of the videos I watched. Bub Carrington was right up there with Sheppard in looking mature beyond his years. He ran the offense for the Wizards and looked like a potential two way star in the making. Sarr is still growing into his game but he has some intriguing flashes including good playmaking, a couple strong defensive stands, and he even hit on his long jumpers. KyShawn George didn't put up a ton of stats but I liked his poise on defense and the way he distributes the ball.

I'm only in Vegas for the first day of Summer League so I'll have to watch the rest on TV.

Last edited:
Shannon Jr looks like the 2nd coming of Kelly Oubre Jr

If Denver's off season could not get any worse either Holmes serious injury out for the year. Relying on Saric/DJ/Zeke Nanji they need to make moves whatever they can do to get some people who can actually play.

Jordan Ford came off the bench this time for the Pels, having 19 points (8/10 fg 2/3 3p 2a in 22') in their loss against the Spurs.
Slawson had 6 points (1/1 fg, 4/6 ft 3reb 3blk) in 14' in the Pistons win vs the Bulls.
Only saw the stats didn't watch any of their matches.