Va. Beach residents weigh in on proposed arena plan

About 200 people attended a meeting Tuesday night at the Virginia Beach Convention Center to weigh in on the possibility of an arena, which carries an estimated $346 million price tag to be paid for by the city, state and sports and entertainment company Comcast-Spectacor. An additional $80 million would be offered to help a professional sports team relocate.
Residents have an additional opportunity to voice their opinions on the arena starting Friday in the Virtual Town Hall section of the city website, VBGov.com. The forum will remain open through Jan. 9.
http://hamptonroads.com/2012/12/va-beach-residents-weigh-proposed-arena-plan

"The city will pay up to $30,000 each to extend its contract with Conventions, Sports & Leisure and retain the services of law firm Williams Mullen for consulting purposes, bringing the total the city has been authorized to spend on arena consultants to $1.16 million.
The city also has retained a Richmond law firm. The firm will be paid $20,000 to $30,000 initially and an estimated $150,000 to $200,000 more if the NBA team decides to come to Virginia Beach."

The lawyers and arena consultants always make a killing on these things, even when they fail.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If I could say one thing to the residents of Virginia Beach, it would be "Be very careful what you wish for." I hope they do their research and learn the difference between the Brothers Maloof who first bought a controlling interest in the Kings and spent as much money as it took to put a winning team on the court and the Brothers Maloof who have lost their father's beer distributorship and all but 2% of the Palms, along with any kind of respect or good will they had earned with the people of Sacramento. The Maloofs won't be turning into the picture-perfect owners. They can't. That ship sailed - and crashed into the rocks and sank.

I think I'm finally getting to the point where I'm just tired of the whole thing. Life is too short to have this much drama without an end in sight. If it's not Virginia Beach, it will be yet another city clamoring to lure the Maloofs to their town. I'm tired of waiting for the shoe to drop.

I support Crown Downtown and their efforts but Sacramento is too good for the Maloofs. We deserve much better. Building an arena for them to use would be akin to rewarding the kid who soaped your windows by paying him to clean them up.

I support the Kings name, logo and history. Everything else from players to owners can hit the road as far as I'm concerned. I'm tired of the BS. Maybe someday Sacramento will get another team that can be called the Kings along with decent owners committed to playing quality basketball. We'll never get that with the current owners, management and players.