UPDATED: Scott Moak staying!

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
This is....unfathomable. The voice of the Kings (and the best NBA announcer I've ever heard) is booted? Not to mention all the good he does in the community? WTF??? I have no freaking clue what this organization is thinking.....

Terrible loss for the Kings fan base.

And as noted in the "Kings $" thread, it's important that we keep an eye on smoke signals that indicate a money problem.

Sacramento is a small market with little corporate base, and that's a common denominator this team - as a business - must fight against. We were repeatedly lied to as a fan base for years when the Maloofs were actually broke, and had no intention of putting a winning product on the floor. I'd hate to see us fooled again.

The issues noted in "Kings $" with developer liens and these layoffs might be smoke signals or just bad coincidences. I'm hoping for the latter. Keep an eye on further costs cuts, cash consideration deals - if cost cutting moves like these continue to happen at frequency: we have a problem, folks.

And best of luck to Scott - he's shown to be much more than just an announcer, and I'm sure his skills will be in high demand elsewhere (just hopefully, not too far away).

dude12

Hall of Famer
Terrible loss for the Kings fan base.

And as noted in the "Kings $" thread, it's important that we keep an eye on smoke signals that indicate a money problem.

Sacramento is a small market with little corporate base, and that's a common denominator this team - as a business - must fight against. We were repeatedly lied to as a fan base for years when the Maloofs were actually broke, and had no intention of putting a winning product on the floor. I'd hate to see us fooled again.

The issues noted in "Kings $" with developer liens and these layoffs might be smoke signals or just bad coincidences. I'm hoping for the latter. Keep an eye on further costs cuts, cash consideration deals - if cost cutting moves like these continue to happen at frequency: we have a problem, folks.

And best of luck to Scott - he's shown to be much more than just an announcer, and I'm sure his skills will be in high demand elsewhere (just hopefully, not too far away).
Makes sense since I can't believe they dumped him.......its a bad look for this franchise.

Recent past events have really put me off this franchise to a point where i am finding it very hard to look past and support any longer. Firing Scott Moak mighy just shred any little interest i have left. Every other team ive watched has either the blandest or the most annoying PA guys. Scott is down right one of the best.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That article (thanks Jason Jones, BTW) makes it seem as though corporate restructuring took Moak out of some of his auxiliary duties.

As word spread on social media of the Kings' restructuring, some questioned whether Moak had been removed from his announcing role, too. The Sacramento native is best known as the voice of the Kings' arenas, and the team said it would like him to continue in that role and is awaiting his decision.
While I may not agree with management's decision in "restructuring our community programs given the importance of that role," I can understand it. I could even see someone like Garrett Temple, Vince Carter, etc. stepping into the role.

EDIT: Subsequent to my initial posts, I have heard from people I hold in the highest regard that there's more to this story and that, much like the purge of some very good people when Vivek first took over the team, there is much more to the story (and the people involved) than has been reported thus far. I did not ask for nor did I hear anything else.

I love the Kings. I hate the drama, the intrigue, the constant pull on heart and mind by all this off-court bullcrap. I'm going to wait and see how this shakes out, however, before I comment any further. I have neither the heart, inclination or energy to keep trying to share what I hope is a balanced look at things.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So, we’ve taken your well paying job with benefits. But, if you’d like to work part time for a lot less and no benifits, we’d be open that (in order to blunt the fan outrage).

These are the folks selling “culture matters”? That’s rich
Oh please. Talk about bending rhetoric without basis in fact. How do you know about benefits, etc?

Here's an idea - why don't we wait and see what Scott has to say before we jump headfirst off the assumption cliff?

So, the few things that made this organization top shelf off the floor (because that certainly can't describe the product on the floor) are slowly eroding away? Nah, not down with that at all. I hope it's worth it for him to stick around.

Oh please. Talk about bending rhetoric without basis in fact. How do you know about benefits, etc?
10 years running, your business sense, track record, and acumen for saying almost anything either objective or accurate regarding off the court matters is ABYSMAL. Embarrassingly bad.

Between posts 15 and 17, if one of us needs to hold off at this point. It’s not me.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
... if one of us needs to hold off at this point. It’s not me.
I wouldn't be so sure. I mean, when the paraphrase goes like this:

LD: The sky is falling!
VF: Hey, I'm not happy but let's wait for the full story.
LD: You've been an idiot for the last ten years.

Well, then maybe it's actually you who needs to step away from the cliff.

Honestly it's been really hard to keep up my level of enthusiasm for this team the last couple years.

I thought maybe it was the product on the floor but I've realized that's really my lack of faith in the Kings organization. If I believed in ownership and management then I'd be excited to watch a rebuild done right. There would be setbacks but eventually we'd get a playoff worthy team at the least.
But right now it's hard to feel like Vivek and Vlade know how to build a winning team and a winning franchise.

These sorts of moves (letting Scott Moak go etc) are ancillary to the overall goal of having the Sacramento Kings win games, but they are indicators (to me at least) that this franchise isn't being run correctly.

It's really frustrating.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
10 years running, your business sense, track record, and acumen for saying almost anything either objective or accurate regarding off the court matters is ABYSMAL. Embarrassingly bad.

Between posts 15 and 17, if one of us needs to hold off at this point. It’s not me.
I came back into this thread to revise my initial post because I heard from people I actually know and trust that I was off-base. No offense, "Larry David," but I don't know you, I don't know your agenda (if there is one), and I like to wait until facts are available.

Your ongoing attacks at me notwithstanding, I will never refuse to admit an error when I make it. I'm sorry if I don't meet your standards. I guess one of us is going to have to just live with the disappointment - and it's not going to be me.

Now, I'm going to go back to my initial post and make some edits, not because you attacked me but because, AS I SAID, I was informed by reliable sources that I was in error. Have a nice day.

MK is almost certainly Kolotronis. She was the top and most influential executive when the Maloofs ran the franchise into the ground and the organization became super dysfunctional and paranoid. The big ticket items were the Kings were tight on cash and looking to move for many years, but Kolotronis and her point person Reinhart made a lot business and personnel decisions that seem really bad from the outside. When Vivek came on board, the franchise was put into the able hands of Granger. But, 4 years later, the Kings are effectively run and managed by the same people who ran the Kings day to day during the worst parts of the Maloofs year.

While cryptic, many that have left the franchise have had some interesting things to say about their management style and structure.

I can't believe they are back in charge and seem to be mucking things up again.

Your ongoing attacks at me notwithstanding
Two things. Not looking to attack you.

Second, if you can enable the option that folks can ignore folks even if they are a staff member. I would appreciate it. I'm not saying that to be mean or kick dirt. I'd sincerly like that option.