Undrafted Players

So when will we know the news about us getting any undrafted players? We may find a diamond in the rough(player or 2) that everyone overlooked.

IIRC, most of them tend to get swooped up in the next couple days after the draft. Definitely before summer league starts. Man, I can't wait for the SPL.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
We have 13 players under contract if you assume JT is signed. Then we sign Robinson and TWill and the hunting for extras is over.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I have liked Dee Bost's game drop Jimmer and grab him maybe.
I have to ask! And I mean no disrespect, but do you really mean what you wrote. Jimmer is under contract!!!!!!!! We can't just drop him. Well you could cut him, but you'd still have to pay him. Plus, he's only played one year. This isn't like an instant meal where you eat it and then throw it away. Playing the pt takes time. Now if he's still struggling after a couple of years, then you might try and move him. He was the second best shooter on the team last season.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
We have 13 players under contract if you assume JT is signed. Then we sign Robinson and TWill and the hunting for extras is over.
I think he's referring to filling out our summer league roster, and possible invites to our training camp. Almost every team has a long list of players with their telephone numbers, and they start calling the moment the 60th pick is history. There were several undrafted players that I would invite, Drew Gordon being one of them. Scott Machado is another. I won't bore you with a list, but I think you get the point. You never know when you'll uncover a gem. If someone stands out, you invite them to your training camp. And who knows, maybe they outplay one of your contract guys. Its a nice problem to have.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Didn't realize this was a discussion of summer league. I'll leave ya'll to have at it. I sure as hell don't care who we swoop up for summer league.

I have to ask! And I mean no disrespect, but do you really mean what you wrote. Jimmer is under contract!!!!!!!! We can't just drop him. Well you could cut him, but you'd still have to pay him. Plus, he's only played one year. This isn't like an instant meal where you eat it and then throw it away. Playing the pt takes time. Now if he's still struggling after a couple of years, then you might try and move him. He was the second best shooter on the team last season.
Got to me too. If you want to say we trade him in a package for a SF, then fine.

But to say let's cut him for an undrafted player is bizarre. Jimmer wasn't great last year, but he wasn't awful. Even if we could get out of his contract without penalty, I'm not cutting him for an undrafted, unproven player.

Actually Kings have only 11 so and JT, Thor and TWill make it 14. They will probably want to keep roster flexibility so unles someone wows them in Las Vegas, no one will be signed, at least to a guaranteed contract. Givony tweeted the best names of undrafted FAs so going by that list Henry Sims (7' from Georgetown) and Tony Mitchell (SF from Alabama) could be the targets.

I hope my boy Wesley Witherspoon gets an invite to play for the Sac summer league team. He tweeted that he had a great workout when he came over and that they like him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Actually Kings have only 11 so and JT, Thor and TWill make it 14. They will probably want to keep roster flexibility so unles someone wows them in Las Vegas, no one will be signed, at least to a guaranteed contract. Givony tweeted the best names of undrafted FAs so going by that list Henry Sims (7' from Georgetown) and Tony Mitchell (SF from Alabama) could be the targets.
The best SF would probably be Hollis Thompson of Georgetown. Not a bad player whose worth a look. Scott Machado is another one I'd be interested in. Not a big fan of Henry Sims, but I like Tony Mitchell.

John Shurna can shoot 3's and block a few shots, worth a flyer as a Matt Bonner type.
Haha, John Shurna... I watched the whole second round of the draft hoping that someone would pick him. I'm sure he will impress somebody in the summer league.

Last edited:
Just saw this on twitter -

Marc Stein
2012-13 NBA season starts in six hours. Allowed to share how pumped I am that @IamFR5 (GSW) & Josh Akognon (SAC) got summer-league gigs?

Didn't we try out Akognon a few years ago?