Unanimous vote to block relocation!!!!

To people who are smarter than me (everyone):

Is there ANY POSSIBLE WAY the Maloofs will be the owners for the upcoming 2013 season? Could it be possible that the maloofs will retain ownership and REFUSE to sell the team to the new group? I KNOW that the maloofs SHOULD sell but these people are.........well, ya know.
They are basically broke. Also, douchebags that have tried to screw the city. But more broke than anything.

They will sell.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Is there ANY POSSIBLE WAY the Maloofs will be the owners for the upcoming 2013 season?
Could it be possible that the maloofs will retain ownership and REFUSE to sell the team to the new group? I KNOW that the maloofs SHOULD sell but these people are.........well, ya know.
No.

Is there ANY POSSIBLE WAY the Maloofs will be the owners for the upcoming 2013 season? Could it be possible that the maloofs will retain ownership and REFUSE to sell the team to the new group? I KNOW that the maloofs SHOULD sell but these people are.........well, ya know.
There have been no reports that it is impossible. Most speculation is that it is highly unlikely that the Maloofs keep the team, but it's not a certainty they sell to Ranadive's group. Anybody who says, "No" is just speculating (;)), even if they're probably correct.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member

Is it "possible?" Yes. Is it likely? Not really.

Presuming that Hansen pulls out, now that he knows he can't move the team, the league can't "make" the Maloofs sell to the good guys, but I expect the league to put pressure on them to do the right thing.

As has been mentioned, the Maloofs are broke. If Hansen withdraws his bid, they're not going to have a grip of options.

There have been no reports that it is impossible. Most speculation is that it is highly unlikely that the Maloofs keep the team, but it's not a certainty they sell to Ranadive's group. Anybody who says, "No" is just speculating (;)), even if they're probably correct.
Your answer scare the hell out of me. What happens if the Maloofs decide to keep the team.....

Well i am clearly smarter than you Pdizo :). The way it is explained to me is the Maloofs are out not matter what and Stern has made that very clear. .

There have been no reports that it is impossible. Most speculation is that it is highly unlikely that the Maloofs keep the team, but it's not a certainty they sell to Ranadive's group.
it's not a certainty that they willingly sell to ranadive's group, but the nba has its trusty "in the best interests of the league" clause. it's an ace in the hole, and allows them to apply a certain amount of pressure, should the maloofs resist the sensible path of selling to ranadive and co. in such an instance, it is perfectly within the league's province to swoop in and purchase the team, thus paving the way for ranadive to pay the league the cost for the team...

edit: that said, i fully expect the maloofs to accept the sacramento group's offer, however grudgingly they might do so. they're broke. they're itching to buy back into their beer distributorship. they can't hang on to the team anymore, and everybody's wise to their act. the minute they signed a binding agreement to sell to the hansen/ballmer group, they were officially on their way out the door. no turning back, and all that...

Last edited:
Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? Not really.

Presuming that Hansen pulls out, now that he knows he can't move the team, the league can't "make" the Maloofs sell to the good guys, but I expect the league to put pressure on them to do the right thing.

As has been mentioned, the Maloofs are broke. If Hansen withdraws his bid, they're not going to have a grip of options.
Exactly, if the league has made a statement that the team won't be moving, there is no leverage in denying the Vivek group. The bidding was based on a Seattle value that the Vivek team overpaid to keep them here. Subsequent offers will drop not rise.

Is it "possible?" Yes. Is it likely? Not really.

I actually think they can force a sale in the best interest of the league.

Your answer scare the hell out of me. What happens if the Maloofs decide to keep the team.....
As I said, it's highly unlikely that will happen. There are a ton of reasons not to worry about it at this point.

One reason is that the Kings need the money, and they won't get the kind of money the Ranadive group is offering anywhere else (since moving the team is off the table). Another reason is that it is highly likely that Stern and the other NBA owners will pressure the Maloofs to take the Sacramento investors' deal. That's just the start.

it's not a certainty that they willingly sell to ranadive's group, but the nba has its trusty "in the best interests of the league" clause. it's an ace in the hole, and allows them to apply a certain amount of pressure, should the maloofs resist the sensible path of selling to ranadive and co. in such an instance, it is perfectly within the league's province to swoop in and purchase the team, thus paving the way for ranadive to pay the league the cost for the team...
This is another reason why it's highly likely the Maloofs will sell the team (although even this isn't a certainty- there have been no official reports or comments from Stern that the Maloofs are 100% out).

Last edited:
Being a Kings fan from 1999 till now i could not imagine it playing out any other way :) Sacramento is on the rise!!! WE WON!!! Now our players can just play basketball and be led by a good coach and well....good everything lol from top to bottom!

WE ARE SACRAMENTO!!!! WHOOOOOOO!!! Lets hope the sun decided to peak out in Seattle ;) give them something to be happy about hahaha

That 'best interest of the league' is really no different than if bozo Maloofs owned a McDonalds (or more appropriately Carls Jr) fast food franchise. They have their specific ownership rights.. but... and the but is that their lone franchise is one of many and those others (the BoGs) ultimately can veto whatever last second stunt the Goofs might want to entertain but most likely won't foolishly attempt.

edit: that said, i fully expect the maloofs to accept the sacramento group's offer, however grudgingly they might do so. they're broke. they're itching to buy back into their beer distributorship. they can't hang on to the team anymore, and everybody's wise to their act. the minute they signed a binding agreement to sell to the hansen/ballmer group, they were officially on their way out the door. no turning back, and all that...

IF, and I do mean "if" this happens, does the league purchase the team fair market value or would it be purchased @ Hansen's bid? If it's fair market value, then it would be WISE to allow the new owners purchase the team. Again, these morons are far from logical.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
IF, and I do mean "if" this happens, does the league purchase the team fair market value or would it be purchased @ Hansen's bid? If it's fair market value, then it would be WISE to allow the new owners purchase the team. Again, these morons are far from logical.
The league would take control of the team, sell it to Vivek and co and complete the transaction as custodians for the Maloofs.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :D

So now what happens? I remember there was talk before that there would only be 1 vote for sale/relocation...

*edit* i see people posted answer before i posted question*:eek:

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :D

So now what happens? I remember there was talk before that there would only be 1 vote for sale/relocation...
Rumors are that it was a 7-0 vote against moving. 7-0 or 12-0 doesn't really matter at this point. We'll see if it even gets to a vote or if Hansen withdraws his bid but either way its highly, highly unlikely that anything surprising happens.

An amazing day to be a kingfan. Especially for a highly skeptical one

Why in the hell should i stop? According to these posters, it's possible (but highly unlikely) but the maloofs will retain the team for the upcoming season. I want to see new owners come in and that new arena built, but the maloofs are the last obstacle in the way of that dream.

These clowns did the unthinkable and pulled off this bull****. I just want them out but i have a gut feeling that it won't be that easy. Today, I am relieved that the relo committee voted no but i have a bad feeling that these clowns have one more stunt to pull.

Rumors are that it was a 7-0 vote against moving. 7-0 or 12-0 doesn't really matter at this point. We'll see if it even gets to a vote or if Hansen withdraws his bid but either way its highly, highly unlikely that anything surprising happens.

An amazing day to be a kingfan. Especially for a highly skeptical one
I heard it was 12-0 since there's 12 ppl in the relo committee. I could be wrong though...

Why in the hell should i stop? According to these posters, it's possible (but highly unlikely) but the maloofs will retain the team for the upcoming season. I want to see new owners come in and that new arena built, but the maloofs are the last obstacle in the way of that dream.

These clowns did the unthinkable and pulled off this bull****. I just want them out but i have a gut feeling that it won't be that easy. Today, I am relieved that the relo committee voted no but i have a bad feeling that these clowns have one more stunt to pull.
Not sure if there was ever a time for the skeptics to bring up concerns but as a fellow one, I assure you this isn't it. Today is amazing news and there is such a tiny chance this doesn't end well that it isn't worth discussing. Just crack open a drink and celebrate.

I heard it was 12-0 since there's 12 ppl in the relo committee. I could be wrong though...
There were 12 people in the combined relocation and finance committees. Reports are that the 7 from the relocation committee voted unanimously to deny the move. That's why it was 7-0.

There have not been any specific reports about what else happens, but the assumption is that because the committee made their unanimous recommendation to deny the move, the rest of the BOG will follow suit and because Hansen doesn't want to buy the team if he can't move them, they won't even vote on the sale (which is likely what happened in the committee meetings today- the finance committee didn't even make a recommendation on the sale because the relocation committee voted against the move).

Not sure if there was ever a time for the skeptics to bring up concerns but as a fellow one, I assure you this isn't it. Today is amazing news and there is such a tiny chance this doesn't end well that it isn't worth discussing. Just crack open a drink and celebrate.
Bro, you're right. Ima chill and celebrate. Today has been a MONUMENTAL DAY for Sacramento Thanks for your wisdom, bro.

That downtown arena woudl be nice. It could do for DT sac what att park did for DT SF. (at least that area)

Glenn

Hall of Famer
A 12-0 vote changes all the dynamics of who is in charge of what happens to the Kings. As this is almost 1/2 of the BoG, the NBA is in charge. Not Hansen and not the Maloofs. They have become irrelevant. And for those who fear law suits, the 12-0 is a clear indication that the NBA is ready for anything. They are not afraid of lawsuits and does anyone think the Maloofs will file a lawsuit? They have already indicated they want this process to end. They will get their money and that's all they want. I doubt very much that Hansen can sue anyone except the Maloofs as he has no relationship with the NBA. Also, if he eventually wants a team, a lawsuit filed by him would kill that idea.

The team stays and there is no way anything else will happen.

As to Hansen getting a team from another city, this struggle has shown that the NBA absolutely does not want a team taken away from fans and a community that are supporting their team. The Bucks come up in conversation often. I suspect that the NBA would take over the team if Kohl hasn't made provisions in his will - unlikely. Then the NBA would look for new owners to keep the team in Milwaukee.

The main issue set down with this 12-0 vote is that teams cannot be stolen if the fans and community are supporting them.

A 12-0 vote changes all the dynamics of who is in charge of what happens to the Kings. As this is almost 1/2 of the BoG, the NBA is in charge. Not Hansen and not the Maloofs. They have become irrelevant. And for those who fear law suits, the 12-0 is a clear indication that the NBA is ready for anything. They are not afraid of lawsuits and does anyone think the Maloofs will file a lawsuit? They have already indicated they want this process to end. They will get their money and that's all they want. I doubt very much that Hansen can sue anyone except the Maloofs as he has no relationship with the NBA. Also, if he eventually wants a team, a lawsuit filed by him would kill that idea.

The team stays and there is no way anything else will happen.

As to Hansen getting a team from another city, this struggle has shown that the NBA absolutely does not want a team taken away from fans and a community that are supporting their team. The Bucks come up in conversation often. I suspect that the NBA would take over the team if Kohl hasn't made provisions in his will - unlikely. Then the NBA would look for new owners to keep the team in Milwaukee.

The main issue set down with this 12-0 vote is that teams cannot be stolen if the fans and community are supporting them.
David Bienick ‏@kcrabienick 1h
#NBA says only relo committee voted today. So that makes 7 votes -- not 12.

There were 12 people in the combined relocation and finance committees. Reports are that the 7 from the relocation committee voted unanimously to deny the move. That's why it was 7-0.

There have not been any specific reports about what else happens, but the assumption is that because the committee made their unanimous recommendation to deny the move, the rest of the BOG will follow suit and because Hansen doesn't want to buy the team if he can't move them, they won't even vote on the sale (which is likely what happened in the committee meetings today- the finance committee didn't even make a recommendation on the sale because the relocation committee voted against the move).

That makes sense. I do admire Hansen's tenacity of bringing a team to SEA but not at the Kings expense.