Tyrese Watch 2022-23

I know everyone keeps saying they’d rather have traded fox instead of ty despite it being obvious the pacers wanted ty and no part of fox and his contract, but I really wonder if we could have swung davion, a FRP, buddy and TT instead. Would the pacers see davion + a FRP as equal value to Ty? Our defense would have suffered but I think our offense would have been a thing of beauty.

I know everyone keeps saying they’d rather have traded fox instead of ty despite it being obvious the pacers wanted ty and no part of fox and his contract, but I really wonder if we could have swung davion, a FRP, buddy and TT instead. Would the pacers see davion + a FRP as equal value to Ty? Our defense would have suffered but I think our offense would have been a thing of beauty.
Under the assumption EVERYBODY was available on the Kings the Pacers did not want a little 6'0 guard despite his "off night" reputation. But as was said around the league teams surprised Haliburton was available so Indiana jumped onboard before someone else got a sniff.

Under the assumption EVERYBODY was available on the Kings the Pacers did not want a little 6'0 guard despite his "off night" reputation. But as was said around the league teams surprised Haliburton was available so Indiana jumped onboard before someone else got a sniff.
I was thinking the first round pick would tip the scales

Maybe when we see who we draft and what happens in the offseason between Fox, Holmes and even Mitchell we can have a better handle on how much losing Haliburton ultimately does.

I still maintain that Sabonis puts us closer to winning than anything other than winning the lottery and nailing the pick would have. I'm certain 2 of the top 4 will not pan out and I don't know if I can handle another whiff at the top of the draft (I trust Monte but I really do think this is not a sure thing year).

also call me crazy but I do not want to wind up next to Indy in the final lotto standings in fear one of us wins and the other drops. eeek!

Credit where it's due: that monstrous 1-13-from-3 game notwithstanding, Buddy's putting up very nice numbers so far in Indy - 22/6/5 (2 turns per) on a 48/39/80 shooting line. Getting major min too.

My sense is they wouldn't based on all the Pacers media I've since been paying attention to. Ownership and GM seem to only be on board with losing this year, and they view the trade more as a re-tool than a rebuild (kinda similar to what Monte was going for I guess), and the Kings FRP is a lot less valuable if they now have Fox, Tyrese and Sabonis while chasing the playoffs/playin. Pacers have also said that Tyrese was a clear target not only in overall value but also in the playstyle that they're looking for.

Turn it the other way, would you trade Tyrese for Davion and a #9-12 pick?

Last edited:
My sense is they wouldn't based on all the Pacers media I've since been paying attention to. Ownership and GM seem to only be on board with losing this year, and they view the trade more as a re-tool than a rebuild (kinda similar to what Monte was going for I guess), and the Kings FRP is a lot less valuable if they now have Fox, Tyrese and Sabonis while chasing the playoffs/playin. Pacers have also said that Tyrese was a clear target not only in overall value but also in the playstyle that they're looking for.

Turn it the other way, would you trade Tyrese for Davion and a #9-12 pick?
I wouldn’t, but I think monte thinks more highly of davion than I would and was willing to give up ty for sabonis. There’s no guarantee that the kings go up to 9-12 range considering they’re around 5-7 right now. My thought process was that the pacers were going to break up sabonis and Turner anyways to rebuild/retool. Pacers might have different perceptions of our players than people on this board. Many people see buddy as a throwin or negative value but pacers might have seen a top 3 point shooter in the league and his contract isn’t that outrageous considering the contracts of the likes of bertans, McDermott and jj reddick before he retired. So the trade would revolve around buddy, davion who was chosen to the rising stars game and a pick that could land in the 5-12 spot. I guess my question would be better asked in a pacers forum since the value of the involved players might be skewed here. We really under value bagley and buddy but Detroit really wanted bags and there were teams out there that covet buddy and his type.

A few interesting tidbits in the Tyrese interview with JJ:

His agent told him he was probably going to Philly on the deadline.

He told Atlanta and Cleveland not to draft him because they were guard heavy teams

"as a guard room we knew someone was going to have to go eventually" referring to the King's backcourt logjam

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Pacers Win tonight, so the Kings are just one game back of the Pacers for the 5th best Lottery odds. Way to go Hali!
The Magic saw that the Rockets were on the cusp of beating the Jazz and falling behind them in the draft standings and let the Pacers outscore them 46-23 in the 4th quarter and overtime (the Rockets ultimately ended up losing their game so they're still tied in the standings).

To the Pacers' credit, they're riding the three guard lineups with Brogdan, Buddy, and Tyrese all game whereas Luke Walton and Alvin Gentry were deathly scared of playing three guards together unless they were down 30 and needed to score points fast.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Love how the Pacers traded their all-star for an upside youngster with lottery balls and future on the mind, and they’re about to pass the very team they made the trade with who thought they were a PLAY-IN contender. Lmao we suck

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Love how the Pacers traded their all-star for an upside youngster with lottery balls and future on the mind, and they’re about to pass the very team they made the trade with who thought they were a PLAY-IN contender. Lmao we suck
Monte’s been incredibly transparent about this trade not being about the play-in.

IIn true Tyrese fashion, the dude has sorta faded into the background with Brogdan back playing.

Buddy remains Buddy lol
Is this gonna be a problem with him and his backcourt mate if said backcourt mate dribbles more than 4 times a game.

Still love you bby please come back.

Also of course the Pistons are gonna get inflated numbers with Bagley if they let him shoot every minute and change on a tanking team. Feel that's gonna end badly if contract negotiations start.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The Pacers play defense like you’d expect a team starting Buddy and Tyrese and playing three first/second year bigs would.
Guys just can’t stop anybody.

Tyrese with a respectable 15 11 & 7. To my eyes he seems maybe a little less aggressive with Brogdon out there and his scoring has dipped slightly but it’s a small sample size and a lot of confirmation bias.

Haliburton sitting on 25 while Pacers went thru Brogdon who was at 8 into the end of the fourth and he gave up the game w a bad turnover. Should expect the Pacers to try to move him but it will be tough. They owe Buddy & Brogdon a combined $100mm+ over the next 2+3 seasons after this one but that doesn’t necessarily conflict with the timelines for extensions to Tyrese and whoever they get this year