TV - What's your passion (NON-sports)?

I think this is a safe place to post this. Finally started watching Ted Lasso last night (my non-Apple status has taken a huge hit this year). Great show. Really enjoyable. Binged about 4 hours worth after starting close to midnight. Anywho, I think to myself that owner lady is pretty hot for an older lady only to google the cast and find we share an identical birth date.

But yeah, I really like this show. I loved the old NBC Sports bits and wondered how it would translate.

Wife and I binged much of season 1 of The Morning Show on Apple plus. Really good, about as good as Ted Lasso.
So I got a year sub with my ipad I bought earlier this year. (bought the cheapest Mac Mini a few weeks ago to demo for music production and so far its more than suitable vs the crazy PC setup I rebuilt last year - I've gone from zero to 100 here in Apple land)

The only other thing I sampled so far was the 1971 music show and surprisingly I was not super into it - and I binge the hell out of music docs.

I was going to give the Morning Show a shot, anything else you'd recommend on Apple plus?

So I got a year sub with my ipad I bought earlier this year. (bought the cheapest Mac Mini a few weeks ago to demo for music production and so far its more than suitable vs the crazy PC setup I rebuilt last year - I've gone from zero to 100 here in Apple land)

The only other thing I sampled so far was the 1971 music show and surprisingly I was not super into it - and I binge the hell out of music docs.

I was going to give the Morning Show a shot, anything else you'd recommend on Apple plus?
The movies I’ve seen are
Greyhound……was solid and Tom Hanks is always good
Coda……loved this movie, I’d go so far as saying one of the best movies I’ve seen this year

Started Lisey’s Story, it’s just ok for me but will finish it being a Stephen King fan
Started For All Mankind which is interesting
Completed Servant which is good, very interesting if you like M Night Shyamalan.

I finished S1 of Ted Lasso in a second late night binge. Also binged the Mark Ronson docuseries Watch the Sound. Nothing exactly new for me there and there's certainly better feature length documentaries on each of the subjects, but I enjoyed the presentation enough to binge it. Well I guess seeing what Andy Taylor looks like today was new. I was a huge Durany in 4th grade before I discovered punk rock.

Sprinted through Sex Education Season 3. The whole series has always seemed like a raunchy, teen sex comedy as written by an Oxford PhD. Equal parts low brow/high brow satire; kinda clever and crass simultaneously. On the lower rungs of my favorite shows list, but it makes the rankings.

Absolutely need at least a moderately “sex-positive” outlook to accept the premise, much less enjoy it. But the real draw here is the ever expanding cast of characters.

Season 3 seemed to have lost a tad of the charm in trying to break free of the formula from the previous seasons, but still a good ride.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Squid Game on Netflix was binge-able. I mean, I didn’t think it was great but also had to see where it all went with each episode.
That’s what I’m on now.

I was not emotionally ready for the damn marble episode.

The show kind of went careening off a cliff after the high-point of the spoilered episode, didn’t it?

The VIPs were a stupid addition, the entire cop/frontman side story/reveal did nothing for me, and the old man ending up as Jigsaw was just … meh

Like I said earlier … just straight downhill after the marble episode

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Just finished up Season 2 (last one?, if so it was wrapped up sufficiently but they left it open for more) of Another Life on Netflix. Overall a pretty good sci fi show (generally set in space, begins with contact with alien life you aren't really sure are benevolent [on Earth], etc.). Recommended if you like that kind of thing in a series. It's a little uneven at times, with a few perils that are seemingly too quickly resolved (especially at the end), but overall production is good and the show keeps you engaged once it sets everything up. They definitely throw some plot twists at you.

Last edited:
Finishing up Locke and Key on Netflix….season 2……solid in a Harry Potter way

Started Dopesick on Hulu. 2 episodes in and wow. It is on the rise of OxyContin based on a book but fleshed out with watchable characters led by Micheal Keaton and Rosario Dawson among others. Recommend this one.

Too many shows going right now….
Succession-great start so far to new season
Curb Your Enthusiasm-has not missed a beat
Dexter-1st episode reboot, so far so good.
Yellowstone-didn’t even get to watch the premiere yet
Mayor Of Kingston- starts this Sunday

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I started watching Hunters (Prime) and am about 3 episodes into the series (1 season [so far?],10 shows). I wasn't sure what to expect going in (other than Nazis being hunted in the US) and had no idea about the details. I thought it might be about an organized hunt by authorities, but it is actually a small band of Auschwitz survivors and some American allies that are working together to track and kill the Nazis. Overall a pretty strong show so far with Al Pacino as the big name. It plays some parts just a bit over the top for my taste, but the acting is pretty good. The first episode has a couple hooks to get you interested but still felt a bit disjointed at times. Once past that it seems to be a little more even keeled.

Finished Dopesick on Hulu. Highly recommend it. Award worthy tv. Based on a book of true events…I think they call it historical fiction once they introduce some storylines in regards to the history of OxyContin but this is damn good.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I started watching Hunters (Prime) and am about 3 episodes into the series (1 season [so far?],10 shows). I wasn't sure what to expect going in (other than Nazis being hunted in the US) and had no idea about the details. I thought it might be about an organized hunt by authorities, but it is actually a small band of Auschwitz survivors and some American allies that are working together to track and kill the Nazis. Overall a pretty strong show so far with Al Pacino as the big name. It plays some parts just a bit over the top for my taste, but the acting is pretty good. The first episode has a couple hooks to get you interested but still felt a bit disjointed at times. Once past that it seems to be a little more even keeled.
So, I finished season 1 and it's good all the way through with a twist ending. Sounds like season 2 is in production for release next year. Recommended.

John C Reilly and Sally Field as the Busses is the casting I never knew I needed.
Sally Field’s been criminally underused since playing Forrest Gump’s mom in 1994 - relegated to voice acting or “old person” roles. Rather perplexing and frustrating given her dynamic turn as Mary Todd in Lincoln. Seems the fate of most post-40 actresses … unless you’re Meryl Streep.

This whole 1 episode a week thing is so 2 decades ago. Drop the whole damn thing and let us binge it.

Just finished Hawkeye though, and it is a darn good show overall. Really enjoyed that one.
Yes….it’s weird now when it’s just once a week. I did like Hawkeye.

I’m not watching these series…no binging just rotating them
The Witcher season 2
Hell bound on Netflix……it’s ok, didn’t take like Squid Games
The Wheel of Time on Prime…..it’s ok
Expanse as mentioned above
Started See on Apple TV and that’s interesting

None of the above are binge worthy and can’t binge The Expanse if I wanted to