TV - What's your passion (NON-sports)?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Wow, strong disagree here. I think that Anu is the first good match for Raj they've ever had on this show. My only grievance with that relationship is that I wish that it could have happened organically, as opposed to him giving up on finding love, and asking for his parents to arrange something for him.
I love her. I also love the idea that Raj gave up on love, was willing to settle for whomever his parents chose only to find they might have found his one true love.

My favorite show of all time is Twin Peaks. It's on Netflix.

The first episode is a bit long and drawn out, but trust me, it's a great show. Lots of mystery surrounding it. I watch a ton of shows, but not a lot of sitcom. I used to love Full House, Family Matters, King of Queens, George Lopez, Reba, and others... but it just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

If anyone ever needs a list of shows, I got a ton of recommendations. Just give me the genre!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I cannot recall ever being as moved by a TV series as I am by This Is Us. The writers have brought us real people with real flaws and real lives. I'm very glad I chose to watch that first episode even though I was pretty much convinced I wouldn't like it. I was wrong...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My wife and I also thought she was great. She has that mad-genius-who's-having-loads-of-fun look in her eye that reminded me particularly of David Tennant and Tom Baker
So, what have you thought about the season thus far? I absolutely LOVE Jodie Whittaker and I'm fond of all the companions. I'm just not that blown away by the writing. It seems they're trying too hard to be socially relevant. The stories aren't as much fun as they used to be, and I do not blame the actors in any way.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
So, what have you thought about the season thus far? I absolutely LOVE Jodie Whittaker and I'm fond of all the companions. I'm just not that blown away by the writing. It seems they're trying too hard to be socially relevant. The stories aren't as much fun as they used to be, and I do not blame the actors in any way.
Ironically I've found the two socially relevant historical episodes the best of the bunch while all of the attempts at "normal" Doctor Who episodes have been a slog for me to get through.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ironically I've found the two socially relevant historical episodes the best of the bunch while all of the attempts at "normal" Doctor Who episodes have been a slog for me to get through.
That's a good point. I enjoyed the Rosa Parks episode quite a bit. It seems they're focusing on the social element at the expense of what has kept me watching Doctor Who from the very beginning.

I cannot recall ever being as moved by a TV series as I am by This Is Us. The writers have brought us real people with real flaws and real lives. I'm very glad I chose to watch that first episode even though I was pretty much convinced I wouldn't like it. I was wrong...
We are so behind....I think the Vietnam one was the last we watched. Problem is my wife falls asleep so early and when we do have time she binge watches at a snails pace

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Here are my updated rankings for Mr. Slim's personal Top 10 shows of the 2018-19 season*, as of December 1, 2018:

1. S.W.A.T. (-)
  2. Supergirl (+4)
  3. DC's Legends of Tomorrow (-1)
  4. Black Lightning (-1)
  5. The Flash (-)
  6. MacGyver (+1)
  7. Arrow (-)
  8. WWE Smackdown Live (NR)
  9. The Good Place (-5)
  10. Grey's Anatomy (+1)
* - excludes streaming-exclusive shows

(NR) - Not Previously Ranked
Ranking increase noted in
blue
Ranking decrease noted in red

Falling out of the Top Ten: Shameless (-2), Killjoys (-4)

In the interest of full disclosure, I watch The Good Place via Hulu, and haven't seen a new episode since October 30, so I couldn't justify leaving its ranking unchanged. Also still haven't caught up on this season of This is Us yet, which I watch the same way.

Just wrapped up the haunting of hill house. We enjoyed it.
Also thoroughly enjoyed the bodyguard finale. All 6 episodes were riveting
Finally, Mom might be the funniest show on TV. Allison Janney is amazing

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
So having watched the entire new season of Doctor Who, I can conclude

(a) the new regime can really really do historical episodes.
(b) the new regime unfortunately is not great at the more Doctor Who-ey stories.
(c) the episode featuring a sentient poltergeist universe physically manifested as a talking frog was more Douglas Adams than the episodes Douglas Adams actually wrote for the show.
(d) production-wise the show looked better than ever.
(e) Jodie Whitaker is the doctor when given doctor-y things to do.
(f) please make a spinoff series featuring Alan Cummings's King James.

Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee on Netflix is what I’m watching right now. Every episode begins with Jerry Seinfeld picking up a comedian in a car that mimics him/her and cameras catch them on the road and at the coffee shop or restaurant just being themselves. Not your typical interview where they are promoting an upcoming gig or special. Any comedy fan will find an episode they’ll laugh out loud to.

I finally have an answer for this thread.

My Brilliant Friend

This show is simply marvelous. If you read my comments in the movie draft thread, you know I avoid matter of fact details when discussing what something is about and I will avoid doing so here too. In short this show is about the "blind fury of fate". It's about how desire and love breed beauty and and cruelty. The repelling and attracting nature of fear and evil. It's about the difficulty in navigating such a world to succeed in love and security. The setting, directing, and acting are all superb. These are all highlighted by the still frames of characters used in the opening credits of each episode. The performance of Gaia Girace, a young actress in her first role is not to be missed. She enchants both other characters and the viewer alike.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I'm waiting until tonight's episode of Supergirl, so that I can watch the full "Elseworlds" crossover at once, but

When are they going to stop teasing us, and give Gideon the Minerva-from-the-"Lazarus Long"-books treatment? It's already canon in-universe that they have access to cloning technology, so transfer he consciousness into a body, and make her a Legend!**

**A flesh-and-blood Legend, that is. She's already a Legend.

This TV series is in my top 3 right now, I remember this summer while I was visiting hometown, my mom was watching some tv show, she said it's a brand new one on this channel and just like that I could not stop watching it and huh it was This Is Us.

Haven't seen yet the new season 3, but soon that will change.

Sports is the only thing I'll watch commercials for. I like waiting for shows to end and binge-watching them straight thru. I've broken the rule just this summer I caught up on Game of Thrones. totally worth it.

Here's the list of completed series I've caught semi recently and thoroughly enjoyed, mostly Netflix stuff

Lost
Twin Peaks
The Original Star Trek
Master of None
Death Note
One Punch Man
Castlevania
Abstract; The Art of Design
Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth
The Office
Monty Python's Flying Circus
Five Came Back
Mad Men
Fawlty Towers

and ofc the Twillight Zone which I still think is the greatest TV series ever made.

I'm waiting for Westworld season 3 to drop then I'll catchup there. I love the movie from the 70's.

Sports is the only thing I'll watch commercials for. I like waiting for shows to end and binge-watching them straight thru. I've broken the rule just this summer I caught up on Game of Thrones. totally worth it.

Here's the list of completed series I've caught semi recently and thoroughly enjoyed, mostly Netflix stuff

Lost
Twin Peaks
The Original Star Trek
Master of None
Death Note
One Punch Man
Castlevania
Abstract; The Art of Design
Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth
The Office
Monty Python's Flying Circus
Five Came Back
Mad Men
Fawlty Towers

and ofc the Twillight Zone which I still think is the greatest TV series ever made.

I'm waiting for Westworld season 3 to drop then I'll catchup there. I love the movie from the 70's.
Can’t wait for GOT final season
Westworld season 3 is going to be such a long wait :-(
The next few I am highly anticipating are Mindhunters season 2 and True Detective season 3. Looks like TD3 went back to its season 1 roots

I just finished My Brilliant Friend. I edited my previous post to better say what I think the show is about. All I'll say in this post is that the show is equally sad and beautiful. This lack of bias is among its most important themes. I highly recommend the show.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Finally getting a chance to watch Daredevil season 3 on Netflix and it seems like several of their Marvel series should be like 2-3 episodes shorter (including this one). Just starting episode 7 and the first 5 were a bit overstuffed with background info on Fisk, etc., that could really have been pared down without sacrificing the story.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
And after binging on most of the rest of the season today, it definitely gets much better in the second half. I think I have one episode left. Will try to watch that one tomorrow.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Here are my updated rankings for Mr. Slim's personal Top 10 shows of the 2018-19 season*, as of January 1, 2019:

1. S.W.A.T. (-)
  2. Supergirl (-)
  3. DC's Legends of Tomorrow (-)
  4. The Flash (+1)
  5. Black Lightning (-1)
  6. WWE Smackdown Live (+2)
  7. Arrow (-)
  8. MacGyver (-2)
  9. The Orville (NR)
  10. The Good Place (-1)
* - excludes streaming-exclusive shows

(NR) - Not Previously Ranked
Ranking increase noted in
blue
Ranking decrease noted in red

Falling out of the Top Ten: Grey's Anatomy (-1)

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I'm finding The Gifted to be one of my favorite series and it seems to be improving as the series continues.

We are also watching Blindspot, but that one is a little more uneven at times.

Definitely looking forward to Punisher season 2 on Netflix when it drops.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
It appears as though Halston Sage will be starring in a new Netflix series, The Last Summer. While the producers of The Orville have yet to address her status on their show, it seems improbable that she will have much of a presence in Season 2, if she appears at all.
Considering The Orville only had 12 episodes last season, if they do the same this year she might easily be able to do both. :)
The Orville: Fox Confirms Halston Sage's Exit

Welp... I guess that's that on that.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
This Is Us returned for the second half of the season tonight. I am still awed by the quality of this program. Every single episode has at least one scene I can relate to, one situation that brings back memories ... and sometimes tears. Life would be a lot better if there were more shows like this.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My current top 10:

This Is Us
Young Sheldon
The Walking Dead
SEAL Team
The Good Doctor
The Rookie
The Big Bang Theory
The Resident
Hell's Kitchen
The Orville

Shows currently on hiatus, such as Winona Earp and Doctor Who, are not included. I finally dropped Grey's Anatomy. It just doesn't seem to be the same any more - and the writing is not what it once was.