TV - What's your passion (NON-sports)?

It is a bad fantasy. I had an outdoor career in range managment and forestry. My Dad had a ranch for 30 years in Arizona. I work with horses every week teaching kids to ride. I know the difference between ranching reality and Hollywood fiction and debauchery, branding people, killing them if they try to quit, corruption, greedy Natives, whorish daughters, and phony ways of handling horses and cattle. It is black mark on ranchers everywhere.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I don't have any criticism of the above post, but it is a perfect summation of why I am philosophically opposed to consuming any entertainment about which I have any actual technical knowledge. I can't bring myself to watch anything where I might be tempted to critique it for accuracy while I'm watching it.

NOVA----just watched their episode on batteries then on energy....mind has been going crazy with fantasys ever since. Love that show.

Also cant get enough of impracical jokers, spong bob, and always sunny in phili

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It is a bad fantasy. I had an outdoor career in range managment and forestry. My Dad had a ranch for 30 years in Arizona. I work with horses every week teaching kids to ride. I know the difference between ranching reality and Hollywood fiction and debauchery, branding people, killing them if they try to quit, corruption, greedy Natives, whorish daughters, and phony ways of handling horses and cattle. It is black mark on ranchers everywhere.
It's only a black mark if you try and compare it to reality. It's FICTION, an escape from reality. Luckily for you, all you have to do is change the channel and not watch. Since you've pretty much said you don't like TV, why not leave this thread for those of us who do?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I have to admit that This Is Us has some of the best writers in the business. Watching this show is like studying a fine woven tapestry. The longer you look, the more you see.

In another vein, I'm still on the fence about Manifest. I'm concerned about it becoming another series totally overwhelmed by a government conspiracy theme - and yes, I'm still bitter about The X-Files.

ATTENTION FELLOW WHOVIANS:

If you haven't watched Jodie Whittaker as the 13th Doctor, do so ASAP. She brings so much to the role, with twinges of Matt Smith, David Tennant and even a bit of William Hartnell and Tom Baker. Ths is gonna be fun!

My wife and I also thought she was great. She has that mad-genius-who's-having-loads-of-fun look in her eye that reminded me particularly of David Tennant and Tom Baker

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
NOVA----just watched their episode on batteries then on energy....mind has been going crazy with fantasys ever since. Love that show.

Also cant get enough of impracical jokers, spong bob, and always sunny in phili
I forget sometimes just how interesting NOVA can be. I've got both episodes on the volcano in Africa on my DVR to watch this weekend.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Here’s a list of current or recent shows that I’m watching or have watched:

Better Call Saul. So good.
The Walking Dead. How will it end for Rick Grimes?
Snowfall. If you haven’t seen it, a really good show
Fear the Walking Dead. Loved the first half of this season, liked the second half
American Horror Story Apocalypse. It’s ok, kind of all over the place
The Last Ship. Final season for this decent show
Ozark. I’m on 1.9. Really good, wildly unpredictable
Stranger Things. Just started Netflix and binged it, entertaining show
Manifest. Stopped watching in part because of lack of time but didn’t grab me

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Here’s a list of current or recent shows that I’m watching or have watched:

Better Call Saul. So good.
The Walking Dead. How will it end for Rick Grimes?
Snowfall. If you haven’t seen it, a really good show
Fear the Walking Dead. Loved the first half of this season, liked the second half
American Horror Story Apocalypse. It’s ok, kind of all over the place
The Last Ship. Final season for this decent show
Ozark. I’m on 1.9. Really good, wildly unpredictable
Stranger Things. Just started Netflix and binged it, entertaining show
Manifest. Stopped watching in part because of lack of time but didn’t grab me
He's not the only one. I'm just worried about the basic concept of the show without him. It's his story.

dude12

Hall of Famer
He's not the only one. I'm just worried about the basic concept of the show without him. It's his story.
Yeah.....makes we wonder if on the show he just leaves ala Morgan....or goes with Michonne and leaves. Maybe they are driven out or in disagreement with how to run the new world. Clearly, not everyone is on the same page (Maggie and others want a heavier hand). Him leaving leaves open the possibility of him coming back.

I feel as though the Negan story line needs to end completely and a new enemy introduced at some point. The show always felt fresh and exciting when the Governor, Terminus and then Negan arrived. Maybe it’s me but it feels dragged out currently although the ending on last episode with Maggie at the Hilltop taking care of business with the hanging caught me by surprise.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yeah.....makes we wonder if on the show he just leaves ala Morgan....or goes with Michonne and leaves. Maybe they are driven out or in disagreement with how to run the new world. Clearly, not everyone is on the same page (Maggie and others want a heavier hand). Him leaving leaves open the possibility of him coming back.

I feel as though the Negan story line needs to end completely and a new enemy introduced at some point. The show always felt fresh and exciting when the Governor, Terminus and then Negan arrived. Maybe it’s me but it feels dragged out currently although the ending on last episode with Maggie at the Hilltop taking care of business with the hanging caught me by surprise.
Um, dude? There is a new enemy coming. "Whisperers"... Check YouTube for the unofficial trailer. ;)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
As we enter November, I am now ready to post the first "official" rankings for Mr. Slim's personal Top 10 shows of the 2018-19 season. As a reminder, for the purposes of these rankings, I have determined that the 2018-19 season started on July 1, 2018, and includes any network or cable show which premiers on or before June 30, 2019. Change from the previous rankings in parenthesis:

1. S.W.A.T. (N/A)
  2. DC's Legends of Tomorrow (N/A)
  3. Black Lightning (N/A)
  4. The Good Place (N/A)
  5. The Flash (N/A)
  6. Supergirl (N/A)
  7. MacGyver (N/A)
  8. Arrow (N/A)
  9. Shameless (N/A)
  10. Killjoys (N/A)

* - excludes streaming-exclusive shows

(NR) - Not Previously Ranked
Ranking increase noted in
blue
Ranking decrease noted in red

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
As we enter November, I am now ready to post the first "official" rankings for Mr. Slim's personal Top 10 shows of the 2018-19 season. As a reminder, for the purposes of these rankings, I have determined that the 2018-19 season started on July 1, 2018, and includes any network or cable show which premiers on or before June 30, 2019. Change from the previous rankings in parenthesis:

1. S.W.A.T. (N/A)
  2. DC's Legends of Tomorrow (N/A)
  3. Black Lightning (N/A)
  4. The Good Place (N/A)
  5. The Flash (N/A)
  6. Supergirl (N/A)
  7. MacGyver (N/A)
  8. Arrow (N/A)
  9. Shameless (N/A)
  10. Killjoys (N/A)

* - excludes streaming-exclusive shows

(NR) - Not Previously Ranked
Ranking increase noted in
blue
Ranking decrease noted in red
Wow. For the first time in what seems like forever, we share NO shows in the top 10. <@@>

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Wow. For the first time in what seems like forever, we share NO shows in the top 10. <@@>
In the interests of full disclosure, I haven't gotten around to this season of This is Us yet. But, given our respective tastes in television, it was probably inevitable.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The Walking Dead
Doctor Who
This is Us
SEAL Team
Last Man Standing
The Resident
The Good Doctor
Mayans M.C.
Grey's Anatomy
The Rookie

Honorable mention:
The Big Bang Theory
Young Sheldon
Mom

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I find Rajs new girlfriend annoying AF
Wow, strong disagree here. I think that Anu is the first good match for Raj they've ever had on this show. My only grievance with that relationship is that I wish that it could have happened organically, as opposed to him giving up on finding love, and asking for his parents to arrange something for him.

Wow, strong disagree here. I think that Anu is the first good match for Raj they've ever had on this show. My only grievance with that relationship is that I wish that it could have happened organically, as opposed to him giving up on finding love, and asking for his parents to arrange something for him.
Match wise yes, but maybe it’s just the actress that I dislike. Not entirely sure, just something about her.
On a side note I loved Parsons and Kathy Bates interaction last episode