TV - What's your passion (NON-sports)?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
All the shows I watch that started on or before June 30, 2018 have gone final, and so here are the official Final rankings for Mr. Slim's personal Top 10 shows of the 2017-18 season*:

1. Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (-)
  2. DC's Legends of Tomorrow (-)
  3. Black Lightning (-)
  4. S.W.A.T. (-)
  5. This is Us (-)
  6. Into the Badlands (-)
  7. The Good Place (-)
  8. Cloak and Dagger (NR)
  9. Brooklyn Nine-Nine (-1)
  10. Brockmire (-1)

* - excludes streaming-exclusive shows

(NR) - Not Previously Ranked
Ranking increase noted in
blue
Ranking decrease noted in red

Falling out of the Top Ten: The Americans (-1)

Watched both seasons of American Crime Story. Ryan Murphy isn't always my bag, but I thought both of these were great in their own way.

OJ was pretty much how I remembered, with a splash of color and a few pieces of new information (some of it probably made up). But it was fun.

Versace had a lot more fill in the gaps story-telling and conjecture. But it was fun. I also liked how it went back in time each episode. Darren Criss is fantastic as Cunanan. It was fun seeing Penelope Cruz as Donatella and also who-the-hell-is-that, oh it's Ricky Martin! (also similar moment for the douchey guy fron New Guy).

Paramount is one of a handful of networks I actually watched that I gave up when cord cutting (well it was still Spike). I am a little bummed to have missed Yellowstone and also the Koresh show, but the other thing I was really looking forward to was Heathers which they scrapped.

Thinking about adding PhiloTV to get Paramount and AXS back, it's cheap but I'll still be lacking Pac 12 sports and they don't have a fully supported Android TV app yet.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Has anyone seen this show Take Two? I can't imagine that it's very good: it looks like a gender-flipped version of Castle, but I feel like a gender-flipped version of Castle misses the entire point of what made that show fun.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Has anyone seen this show Take Two? I can't imagine that it's very good: it looks like a gender-flipped version of Castle, but I feel like a gender-flipped version of Castle misses the entire point of what made that show fun.
It's okay but nothing on my top 20 list is in any danger. I like a couple of the supporting characters much more than I like the stars.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Trying to watch each of the new shows at least once is problematic. Not gonna bother with either Murphy Brown or Magnum PI. New Amsterdam looks good, albeit a bit familiar. Manifest could be good, but it's gonna be all about the writing. I'm enjoying Mayans M.C. but perhaps mostly because of the Easter egg ties to Sons of Anarchy. Lethal Weapon may survive after all with the Riggs replacement.

I decided to give S.W.A.T. a second chance and I think I'm going to be glad I did.

What are you watching?

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Watching Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime periodically with a friend of mine. Only a few shows in but not a bad start and it could be pretty good. And I think The Expanse is up next when I get more time. I keep hearing good things. Also Daredevil season 3 when it drops.

(I was inspired to start this thread because of a comment Mr. Slim made.)

What shows do you simply refuse to miss? What new shows have you taken into your DVR hierarchy?

I am a confessed TV junkie. I admit it freely. I watch everything from Hell's Kitchen to Sons of Anarchy and every conceivable type of show in between.

Right now, there are several shows I simply will not miss:

Doctor Who
Hell on Wheels
Sons of Anarchy
Scandal
The Big Bang Theory
The Walking Dead
Blacklist
Naked and Afraid

As far as the new offerings go, I'm already pretty much hooked on Gotham (as I've always had a thing for DC comics).

What about you?
Sons still on. Which channel?

Watching season 4 of Better Call Saul. At this point, I feel more than comfortable saying that it may very well be the best spin-off series ever created, and when it's all said and done, it may actually surpass its forebear. What an unexpected gift this show is.

Trying to watch each of the new shows at least once is problematic. Not gonna bother with either Murphy Brown or Magnum PI. New Amsterdam looks good, albeit a bit familiar. Manifest could be good, but it's gonna be all about the writing. I'm enjoying Mayans M.C. but perhaps mostly because of the Easter egg ties to Sons of Anarchy. Lethal Weapon may survive after all with the Riggs replacement.

I decided to give S.W.A.T. a second chance and I think I'm going to be glad I did.

What are you watching?
I’ve enjoyed Mayans so far
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Wayans is now leaving too

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Thanks for the suggestion, but ranchers don't fly around in helicopters and brand their employees.
Ranchers with spreads as big as his DO fly around in helicopters. As for the branding? It's a fictional story. Sorry you don't like it, but I'm anxiously awaiting the second season. One good thing about this thread? If you don't like a particular show, you don't have to watch it. ;)