Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
So we’re currently at
Sabonis/Holmes/Jones/Len/Queta
Bagley/Metu/King/Woodard
Barnes/Holliday/Harkless/
Fox/Davis(when he’s healthy)/Lamb/Ramsey
Mitchell/???

now we’re deep in the front court and have a logjam at the 5 still and we need a backup PG probably.

The thing is keeping Barnes now makes a hell of a lot of sense since he’s effectively our best shooter.
If we can move Holmes for Washington type move I think then Barnes is stuck here? I don't know if I like Barnes at 4 with Sabonis. I guess it might be time to try Mitchell, Fox, Barnes, Bagley and Sabonis if we don't have something huge up our sleeve.

So we’re currently at
Sabonis/Holmes/Jones/Len/Queta
Bagley/Metu/King/Woodard
Barnes/Holliday/Harkless/
Fox/Davis(when he’s healthy)/Lamb/Ramsey
Mitchell/???

now we’re deep in the front court and have a logjam at the 5 still and we need a backup PG probably.
A shooter that can stretch the floor at the 2 spot would be pretty solid right about now.

I see the starting lineup as:

Fox
?? / Mitchell
Barnes
Sabonis
??

I think these spots need to be a 3&D sort of person. I don't know if Barnes is moved anymore, given that we are a team now devoid of floor spacing. Unfortunately, absent our FRP, I don't know that we have anything left to bring in a high quality talent at either position. I guess with Sabonis at the 5, maybe it's a little easier to squint and see Bagley there, but he's such an interior player himself that it would be weird to just have him out there launching 3s. Metu? Maybe. Mayyybe.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
A shooter that can stretch the floor at the 2 spot would be pretty solid right about now.

I see the starting lineup as:

Fox
?? / Mitchell
Barnes
Sabonis
??

I think these spots need to be a 3&D sort of person. I don't know if Barnes is moved anymore, given that we are a team now devoid of floor spacing. Unfortunately, absent our FRP, I don't know that we have anything left to bring in a high quality talent at either position. I guess with Sabonis at the 5, maybe it's a little easier to squint and see Bagley there, but he's such an interior player himself that it would be weird to just have him out there launching 3s. Metu? Maybe. Mayyybe.
Bagley and Lamb are both expirings and this keeps getting lost in the Tyrese/Sabonis discourse but Justin Holliday is a starting caliber wing. We’ve got lots of second round picks and all our firsts if we’re really intent on moving in on someone.

that Barnes for Ingles’ expiring/Royce O’Neale/Butler/frp wayyyy in the future deal might actually make sense now since I can see Royce playing some two in a non-Utah system and Butler is a good guard prospect to take a flier on now that we don’t have Tyrese.

Bagley and Lamb are both expirings and this keeps getting lost in the Tyrese/Sabonis discourse but Justin Holliday is a starting caliber wing. We’ve got lots of second round picks and all our firsts if we’re really intent on moving in on someone.

that Barnes for Ingles’ expiring/Royce O’Neale/Butler/frp wayyyy in the future deal might actually make sense now since I can see Royce playing some two in a non-Utah system and Butler is a good guard prospect to take a flier on now that we don’t have Tyrese.
Ohh, this is real real interesting. I like this deal a lot. Royce would be a quality, quality fit on the wing that'll help the Kings defense/spacing and they get a few reset assets to restock the Hali loss. Davion-Royce-PJ next to Fox/Sabonis could absolutely work.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Ohh, this is real real interesting. I like this deal a lot. Royce would be a quality, quality fit on the wing that'll help the Kings defense/spacing and they get a few reset assets to restock the Hali loss. Davion-Royce-PJ next to Fox/Sabonis could absolutely work.
Even if we don’t swing the PJ deal, *gasp* Marvin Bagley could be an interactivity next to Sabonis.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

Fans in general are pretty dumb. McNair just has to keep going and make sure he maximizes Fox/Sabonis. He's all-in now, there's no more half-measures.
But to be fair, there have been other things that fans hated that didn't work out quite as well. We're basically hoping that Sabonis will be the second coming of Webber (possible-ish, I guess?) but instead of giving up a 33-year-old Mitch Richmond to get him, we gave up a 21-year-old PG who most of us thought was a sure-fire perennial all-star in just a few years. It's not the Sabonis part that people are upset about.

Sabonis
Grant
Royce
Davion
Fox
would legitimately be a good win now team though.
You still need Fox to be a star. And that is a team with two black holes still. They’ll make the play in, but it’ll set this team back 5 yrs. 5 yrs of treadmilling. Guaranteed.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Jerami Grant is a pretty solid run protector at the 4/3 and is used to playing off of elite passing big men from Europe after playing with Jokic. He would honestly almost be an ideal fit next to Sabonis.

I'm just operating going forward from the stance that Vivek will never commit to a rebuild as an owner. That's just been made abundantly clear today of all days. I've long been on record (going on like 5+ years) this team needs to properly reset, but it's just not going to happen.

We'll see how McNair cleans up the deadline and the current logjams. I have no idea if McNair can actually make this team good. I do know Sabonis is pretty easily the 3rd best player we've ever traded for and Fox/Sabonis is the most talented duo we've had since Peja/C-Webb. He pushed his biggest chip in and is now on the clock to make this work.

I was also never on the "OMG FOX SUCKS" train that some of you jumped on this season. So maybe that's it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerami Grant is a pretty solid run protector at the 4/3 and is used to playing off of elite passing big men from Europe after playing with Jokic. He would honestly almost be an ideal fit next to Sabonis.
Ya and he left Jokic so he can go chuck up more shot while being on a bad team

Fans in general are pretty dumb. McNair just has to keep going and make sure he maximizes Fox/Sabonis. He's all-in now, there's no more half-measures.
lol so literally the only good trades/moves this team has made in 38years that coincided during one period of time when they had a legit GM. big difference here is Geoff Petrie ain’t running the show

A bit more complicated than that because part of the reason he left was he wanted to play for a black coach too. We’ll just have to see how it a,k shakes out.
I think at this point I’d rather see if Pj can be had for Holmes. Cheaper acquisition and maybe still some untapped upside.

Mitchell
Fox
Barnes
PJ
Sabonis

that’s not too bad and we still keep our pick.

I'm just operating going forward from the stance that Vivek will never commit to a rebuild as an owner. That's just been made abundantly clear today of all days. I've long been on record (going on like 5+ years) this team needs to properly reset, but it's just not going to happen.

We'll see how McNair cleans up the deadline and the current logjams. I have no idea if McNair can actually make this team good. I do know Sabonis is pretty easily the 3rd best player we've ever traded for and Fox/Sabonis is the most talented duo we've had since Peja/C-Webb. He pushed his biggest chip in and is now on the clock to make this work.

I was also never on the "OMG FOX SUCKS" train that some of you jumped on this season. So maybe that's it.
I guess that'll leave the door open for people to say:

"tHeY dIdNt pUt eNoUgH aRoUnD fOx"

That 3pt shot better improve.