To tank or not?

Tank?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
nice prediction.

Sadly the Kings are now predicted by 538 to finish 31-21 in our familiar 10th draft spot. Sometimes it seems the more things change the more the stay the same. Xavier Tillman playing well for Memphis.
Well at this point, I hope the kings can go on a bit of a run if we aren't going to be in a position for a top 5 pick. It's really hard to predict how things will shake out considering how tough the West is and given how many teams are playing below expectations.

I've got my eyes on a couple players if we end up picking later.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Well at this point, I hope the kings can go on a bit of a run if we aren't going to be in a position for a top 5 pick. It's really hard to predict how things will shake out considering how tough the West is and given how many teams are playing below expectations.

I've got my eyes on a couple players if we end up picking later.
The good thing is that this is a pretty deep draft. And the better thing is that the way things are going the main reason we won’t be picking high is because our two stud guards are getting better and better in SPITE of some of our vets sucking.

nice prediction.

Sadly the Kings are now predicted by 538 to finish 31-21 in our familiar 10th draft spot. Sometimes it seems the more things change the more the stay the same. Xavier Tillman playing well for Memphis.
i assume you mean 31-FORTY one (for 72 games) and my pocket says, "no - anything but that"(i have the kings to win less than 28 1/2 games).

the slippage of hali actually makes it more comfortable to be in the middle of the pack.

of course, it is all on "who you draft"

and - every great team seems to find someone in the second round (like draymond green) or very late first round (kuzma, butler, siakam - note that i am naming teams in recent finals) who becomes an essential cog. we haven't really done that, despite accumulating second round picks. hell, we can't even use our mid-first round picks well (justin jackson, harry giles, papagiannis, labissiere, malachai, ect, ect)

i still think frank jackson (early second rounder) is an nba player, but, because he stayed in school for four years, his window is closing early (orlando just signed frank, which might be his last chance - i started a thread on that in "personnel").

it isn't like we didn't have chances.

we traded for bogi when we could have drafted sabonis. drafted willie instead of myles turner and didn't draft zach collins (the jury is still out on that). see above mid-first round bustolas).

but then, vlade was always a riverboat gambler.

tanking isn't as easy as it seems - only the head coach can really have an effect there. walton doesn't seem like the type - if he is relieved of duties, that will signify a tank operation.

so - it's all on monte.

i assume you mean 31-FORTY one (for 72 games) and my pocket says, "no - anything but that"(i have the kings to win less than 28 1/2 games).

the slippage of hali actually makes it more comfortable to be in the middle of the pack.

of course, it is all on "who you draft"

and - every great team seems to find someone in the second round (like draymond green) or very late first round (kuzma, butler, siakam - note that i am naming teams in recent finals) who becomes an essential cog. we haven't really done that, despite accumulating second round picks. hell, we can't even use our mid-first round picks well (justin jackson, harry giles, papagiannis, labissiere, malachai, ect, ect)

i still think frank jackson (early second rounder) is an nba player, but, because he stayed in school for four years, his window is closing early (orlando just signed frank, which might be his last chance - i started a thread on that in "personnel").

it isn't like we didn't have chances.

we traded for bogi when we could have drafted sabonis. drafted willie instead of myles turner and didn't draft zach collins (the jury is still out on that). see above mid-first round bustolas).

but then, vlade was always a riverboat gambler.

tanking isn't as easy as it seems - only the head coach can really have an effect there. walton doesn't seem like the type - if he is relieved of duties, that will signify a tank operation.

so - it's all on monte.
yes 31-41

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2021-nba-predictions/

The good thing is that this is a pretty deep draft. And the better thing is that the way things are going the main reason we won’t be picking high is because our two stud guards are getting better and better in SPITE of some of our vets sucking.
which vets sucking are you referring to?

gunks

Hall of Famer
**** a tank. And this is coming from somebody who has been VERY pro tank throughout the years.

Fox and Hali are gonna take us places. This team is starting to gel and play some good ball too.

We don’t need to roll the dice on the lotto, then roll the dice again on another prospect. McNair needs to be worrying about building around the young core we have.

I mean...if we can keep landing Haliburton level talent at 12...we’re golden either way. But honestly, I don’t even think we can compete with the tankers this season at this point. It’d probably take trading Barnes for picks & bad contracts and/or refusing to play Fox & Haliburton.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I mean...if we can keep landing Haliburton level talent at 12...we’re golden either way. But honestly, I don’t even think we can compete with the tankers this season at this point. It’d probably take trading Barnes for picks & bad contracts and/or refusing to play Fox & Haliburton.
Right. And at that point you’d probably be doing more harm than good.

The draft has always been my highlight as a Kings fan, but wth the emergence of our young backcourt and company, I recon play to win it all. Good free agents should come around seeing Sac as an option.

I'd like to see Bagley get more run in the 4th quarter but honestly can't find fault with the team winning the way they have been. Hopefully we find some new homes for the others in Luke's doghouse and we can get a late first or a '22 pick. I am pretty sure Monte could find some talent in the 20s this year, there will be people falling because even if a full NCAA tourney happens and the combine is conducted in a safe bubble I believe some talent will still fall through the cracks.

The major caveat in all this is Barnes has to play like he has this year for us to keep building.

The draft has always been my highlight as a Kings fan, but wth the emergence of our young backcourt and company, I recon play to win it all. Good free agents should come around seeing Sac as an option.
Exactly, if you’re a free agent and get a sizeable offer to come catch lobs from Tyrese or spot up from 3 from Fox breaking down the defense, well that doesn’t sound too bad now does it? Having two young stud play makers that genuinely make their teammates better could be enticing enough to lure someone, all I’m saying

Exactly, if you’re a free agent and get a sizeable offer to come catch lobs from Tyrese or spot up from 3 from Fox breaking down the defense, well that doesn’t sound too bad now does it? Having two young stud play makers that genuinely make their teammates better could be enticing enough to lure someone, all I’m saying
This. This all day.

I feel really bad for this franchise and their fans.

They finally had a chance to draft a franchise altering player and they found a way to screw it up. Now, going into what could be another franchise altering draft they seem to be playing themselves out of it. Just so KINGS!!

Theres no hope for this franchise. Just enjoy the wins when they come............

Id like to see this franchise at least make the playoffs for their longtime fans. At least give them that...........

I feel really bad for this franchise and their fans.

They finally had a chance to draft a franchise altering player and they found a way to screw it up. Now, going into what could be another franchise altering draft they seem to be playing themselves out of it. Just so KINGS!!

Theres no hope for this franchise. Just enjoy the wins when they come............

Id like to see this franchise at least make the playoffs for their longtime fans. At least give them that...........
NO LASAGNAS.

Tyrese is our franchise altering player, (and Fox is too) and there's no guarantee that whoever we pick in the next draft would amount to anything. The key word in your post is "could". I feel sorry for fans like you who think that the savior is always just around the corner and that we should sabotage our season for a chance at that.

If Bagley gives the effort he has been giving recently this franchise is fine. We ran into the top team in the East and played them fairly well, just got cold at the wrong time. A few strange calls and CoJo not missing two open looks from 3 and it's a different story, I'm sure.

NO LASAGNAS.

Tyrese is our franchise altering player, (and Fox is too) and there's no guarantee that whoever we pick in the next draft would amount to anything. The key word in your post is "could". I feel sorry for fans like you who think that the savior is always just around the corner and that we should sabotage our season for a chance at that.
Save it for your compadres. I’m not a kings fan.

Save it for your compadres. I’m not a kings fan.
The word you're looking for is paisano.

Listen, if we were winning on the back of CoJo and uhhh...anyone else, I'd be with you. But we're not. It's on Fox, Halliburton, and Barnes. Key players. Buddy still hasn't woken up yet. Unless we get lucky in the draft, we really don't need that number one. It's happening right now. And as others have said, this team can't possibly suck enough (barring an injury or two.)
So check the draft for a big, and they'll be available at our slot. Drafts go guard heavy right now anyway (not backed by science), so we'll have great choices where we're picking. (Maybe)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Monte learned in a system that focused on getting stars. How he goes about that is TBD.
To be fair, Monte signed onto a franchise that already had a guy with that centerpiece (for that Rockets system) star potential on the roster, which sorta meant that he was able to skip several steps in the typical rebuilding process. Considering how good Fox has looks this season, there’s a chance that we wouldn’t really have been able to tank tank unless we sat Fox out for most of the season and we’ve seen how well purposely sitting stars for the purpose of losing games has worked for Minnesota.

Cant justify tanking if the Kings are at .500 during a 14 year playoff drought. Even if its the 8th seed and a virtually guaranteed 1st round exit, under these circumstances the team needs to fight for the playoffs.