Thoughts for the new arena (split from thank you thread)

Glenn

Hall of Famer
ive been a big maloof proponent but they deserve props on this one, along with the mayor and stern. I just hope this doesn't handicap them from spending on roster, but that will be a discussion for down the road, now, we celebrate!
About 10 years ago I read a study that determined that every time a new arena is built, ticket prices went up 25%. I hope no one complains about that. Also the NBA revenue sharing helps us. And as a capper, we will get an all star weekend which will be great for everyone in the area. I think the council members who are straddling the fence should be reminded of the benefits of an all star weekend. Didn't Stern say Sacramento would get one? In any case, it only makes sense.

There should be money or the promise of money that will encourage the Maloofs to spend. It's a good investment at this moment. Times have changed.

Has anyone noticed? :)

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
About 10 years ago I read a study that determined that every time a new arena is built, ticket prices went up 25%. I hope no one complains about that. Also the NBA revenue sharing helps us. And as a capper, we will get an all star weekend which will be great for everyone in the area. I think the council members who are straddling the fence should be reminded of the benefits of an all star weekend. Didn't Stern say Sacramento would get one? In any case, it only makes sense.

There should be money or the promise of money that will encourage the Maloofs to spend. It's a good investment at this moment. Times have changed.

Good point. The AS game brought about $100M to the Orl economy. But there's more. Maybe a Final Four, or at least a Sweet 16? That would be huge. Election in 2016. How about a Rep or Dem national convention in the summer of 16? That would also be huge. Brought almost $200M into Charlotte if my memory is correct.

BTW, I tweeted Cousins and told him to start preparing. When the AS game comes to town he'll be what D12 was for Orl, and Dirk was for Dal last year. The AS player hosting and playing in the AS game in his home arena.

Good point. The AS game brought about $100M to the Orl economy. But there's more. Maybe a Final Four, or at least a Sweet 16? That would be huge. Election in 2016. How about a Rep or Dem national convention in the summer of 16? That would also be huge. Brought almost $200M into Charlotte if my memory is correct.

BTW, I tweeted Cousins and told him to start preparing. When the AS game comes to town he'll be what D12 was for Orl, and Dirk was for Dal last year. The AS player hosting and playing in the AS game in his home arena.
Yeah plus our Arena will supposedly have a shot to host Olympic events possibly in 2018 or 2020 if NorCal gets the olympics? I heard that a few days ago anyway. When SLC got the Olympics, Utah added an extra 170k full time jobs. The cave people complaining about the homeless and stuff can stop complaining now because those people might be able to find work now? Or in the future anyway.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

I forgot the basketball tournament being brought back here. We once had part of it and lost it. Orlando got the Democratic (I think) National Convention this year (I think) and it is worth more than $100 mil. I don't remember the exact projection but it was a huge inflow of money to the community. The benefits go on and on.

I forgot the basketball tournament being brought back here. We once had part of it and lost it. Orlando got the Democratic (I think) National Convention this year (I think) and it is worth more than $100 mil. I don't remember the exact projection but it was a huge inflow of money to the community. The benefits go on and on.

Getting NCAA basketball tournament back will be easiest since they've been here before. Hope for an NBA All Star game in Sacramento is wishful, even fanciful, until couple more major hotels are built - and that could be a long way off.

As far as major political party conventions this summer, Democrats will be in Charlotte, North Carolina and GOP will be in Tampa, Florida. It will be, as it always is, a huge revenue and prestigue maker for cities that land the major political presidential nominating conventions up for grabs every four years. But until Sac gets a few more (at least 2 or 3) major hotels built it won't be happening here.

of course there will be more money, the question is will it be allocated properly towards the roster, or to pay off their creditors/personal debt, I think they will be able to create a balance, we may not have the highest payroll in the league in future years but I believe we certainly wont be at the bottom as we have been. Now that the arena cloud is not hanging over them they will be more inclined to spend.

I think Stern danced around the AS game question by saying its a possibility but we may not have the hotel rooms to accommodate the event.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Yeah plus our Arena will supposedly have a shot to host Olympic events possibly in 2018 or 2020 if NorCal gets the olympics? I heard that a few days ago anyway. When SLC got the Olympics, Utah added an extra 170k full time jobs. The cave people complaining about the homeless and stuff can stop complaining now because those people might be able to find work now? Or in the future anyway.
Thing I don't get about the cave people is that if they're truly that concerned with the poor and the police, number one, why do they have so much time to spend online at the bee instead of getting out there doing something about it, and two, being incredibly misinformed. When I am passionate about something, I generally try to be as informed as possible.

This lack of hotel rooms will stop this community from hosting anything of major proportions. That's too bad.
Unfortunately true but maybe by time the new arena is open for biz around 2015 - perhaps early in that year before start of NBA season, a couple new major hotels will be breaking ground or at least planned. In other words, we might not have to wait another decade like we did for new arena to finally have enough hotel rooms in Sac to host events of "major proportions."

This lack of hotel rooms will stop this community from hosting anything of major proportions. That's too bad.
With a new arena going in, it would not surprise me to see one or two new hotels go into the railyards. At least Sacramento is in much better with shape with a lot more quality hotel rooms than it had 10 years ago.

Also Steve Hammond of the Sacramento Convention and Tourism Board has said conventions have been calling for sometime asking when Sacramento will get a downtown arena. With a downtown arena, Sacramento can draw more and bigger conventions. That should help spur hotel growth in the immediate area, with the rail yards a perfect place.

Yes, Olympic events are a possibility. It's in early planning now. Not for the whole Olympics, but to host some of the events. :)

Yes, Olympic events are a possibility. It's in early planning now. Not for the whole Olympics, but to host some of the events. :)
Yeah it'd be really nice to get some events. My mom has always dreamed of going to the olympics, more or less having them in our back yard and we could actually go see some stuff. It'd be really cool, once in a lifetime type of thing.

Yeah it'd be really nice to get some events. My mom has always dreamed of going to the olympics, more or less having them in our back yard and we could actually go see some stuff. It'd be really cool, once in a lifetime type of thing.
I'd love to see figure-skating live (or hockey). It's the Canadian part of me. :D

I'd love to see figure-skating live (or hockey). It's the Canadian part of me. :D
Yeah my mom would love to see the skating live. I wish we could get summer olympics and see team USA at the new arena though. That'd be insane. But either way it'd be good. I wonder if we could see that one ice racing thing people like Apollo Ono do? That'd be cool too. This arena has so many cool applications(as well as potentially getting a hockey team or something), I dont know how the CC members can possibly vote no without having an irrational bias.

Who knows? With a new arena maybe a WNBA team returns to Sacramento and an NHL/minor league team chooses Sacramento. You also have wresting, tennis tournaments and everything else. The list is long. More events= more parking usage, more business, more revenue, more taxes and more jobs.

The arena will be the missing spark and will catapult revitalization through new business start-ups and investments in the downtown area and elsewhere in the region. The good thing is that the arena will have an excellent operator. They have the contacts and resources to stimulate more business/events/bookings. After all, they need to recoup their investment. Trade shows and conventions are important in cities. The market will know if and when hotels are needed and then the developers will flock to Sacramento. The city can market itself as being a destination city for events and a hip downtown. Incorporate that with the river and nice weather and you guys up there can be on to something big!

Go Sac town! Go KINGS!

Last edited:

If they go up 25% that's still less than what they were 5 years ago.

Who knows? With a new arena maybe a WNBA team returns to Sacramento and an NHL/minor league team chooses Sacramento. You also have wresting, tennis tournaments and everything else. The list is long. More events= more parking usage, more business, more revenue, more taxes and more jobs.

The arena will be the missing spark and will catapult revitalization through new business start-ups and investments in the downtown area and elsewhere in the region. The good thing is that the arena will have an excellent operator. They have the contacts and resources to stimulate more business/events/bookings. After all, they need to recoup their investment. Trade shows and conventions are important in cities. The market will know if and when hotels are needed and then the developers will flock to Sacramento. The city can market itself as being a destination city for events and a hip downtown. Incorporate that with the river and nice weather and you guys up there can be on to something big!

Go Sac town! Go KINGS!
It's not just a "who knows". It's more like a sure thing. AEG as a partner is absolutely huge. They hold a big sway over booking entertainment. They hold more events in KC without a pro team than Arco ever had with two pro teams. They would not have signed on to do this deal on the hope that they could fill the new ESC schedule and make some money - they know they can.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
It's not just a "who knows". It's more like a sure thing. AEG as a partner is absolutely huge. They hold a big sway over booking entertainment. They hold more events in KC without a pro team than Arco ever had with two pro teams. They would not have signed on to do this deal on the hope that they could fill the new ESC schedule and make some money - they know they can.
Exactly. They don't up their construction contribution from $50 to $60 million without knowing that the revenue will be there for them to make a profit as well.

As soon as Indianapolis reached an agreement to build Lucas Oil Stadium, a new JW Marriott immediately started getting built. Same thing in every downtown area over the last ten years or so to announce a big project involving a sports venue. With AEG involved, I wouldn't be surprised if they pull some strings and take care of some of that logistical stuff within the next five years. If Sacramento gets out of its own way (no offense to anyone up there) and commits to some long-term investments, then this kind of stuff will happen and you'll have a nice hub down there.

Also noticed on the KCRA news last night. They interviewed a local real estate sales person. There have already been some interest calls about commercial real estate near the arena site. Way too early, but it's creating the correct buzz.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
As soon as Indianapolis reached an agreement to build Lucas Oil Stadium, a new JW Marriott immediately started getting built. Same thing in every downtown area over the last ten years or so to announce a big project involving a sports venue. With AEG involved, I wouldn't be surprised if they pull some strings and take care of some of that logistical stuff within the next five years. If Sacramento gets out of its own way (no offense to anyone up there) and commits to some long-term investments, then this kind of stuff will happen and you'll have a nice hub down there.
Yeah, but this is Sacramento. :( I hope AEG is powerful enough to counter the general anti-growth attitude of this area.

Yeah, but this is Sacramento. :( I hope AEG is powerful enough to counter the general anti-growth attitude of this area.
If the arena deal gets approved, then AEG will be investing money there beyond the arena deal. And if the arena deal doesn't get approved, then the team is leaving and it doesn't matter. But having come this far, if that city council doesn't approve this thing, then all hope is lost anyways.