The wrong point guard

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Hield isn't a cancer for a successful experienced coach, like Carlisle. Their chemistry looks top tier
My understanding is they tried moving him multiple times, Kings were criticized at the time of the deal for "moving a guy who could easily net a FRP" on top of all their other transgressions (trading the only player in the history of the NBA that liked Sacramento, trading baby LeBron James, taking on an overrated bag of rocks white stiff, taking on a player who will leave the moment his contract is up).

Also Buddy is in Benn's way and appears to have influenced a team coached by Carlisle who used to be known for playing defense into being a no-D team.

Wasnt he already whining about wanting out?
From what I read, Buddy and the Pacers didn’t agree on a contract extension, not quite the same thing as wanting out.

Buddy‘s contract extension negotiations with the Kings were fractious. From a player’s perspective, you’re valuable free agent very few times in your career, I can imagine he’d want to taste freedom after his contract.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Honest question but let's just say we had the best versions of Fox and Haliburton playing for us now. Assume we are also stuck with Buddy Hield, and no Domas or Lyles (I know that was a separate deal but maybe it doesn't happen if the Haliburton/Domas trade doesn't?)

In this case we probably don't have Huerter but who knows ... let's just say it's the same roster with only the above changes. Where do we get a big man and what the hell does this team do? What would we have done differently this offseason, assume we extend Haliburton (I believe he'd have to take a small cut because Fox is still on his designated rookie extension) which kicks in next year, so we might have some money this offseason to spend.

Honest question but let's just say we had the best versions of Fox and Haliburton playing for us now. Assume we are also stuck with Buddy Hield, and no Domas or Lyles (I know that was a separate deal but maybe it doesn't happen if the Haliburton/Domas trade doesn't?)

In this case we probably don't have Huerter but who knows ... let's just say it's the same roster with only the above changes. Where do we get a big man and what the hell does this team do? What would we have done differently this offseason, assume we extend Haliburton (I believe he'd have to take a small cut because Fox is still on his designated rookie extension) which kicks in next year, so we might have some money this offseason to spend.
That lineup didn't make sense back then and wouldn't make sense now. Fox is at his best with a big man that can pull his defender out of the lane. Domas does it because opponents don't want to give him freedom to run the offense uncontested.

Hali works best with ball in his hands and a potential rim runner big man. Since Hali can play 0 defense, Fox has to pick up the slack there too.

All this is to say, you can't maximize their talents with both of them on the floor. So I can't imagine a scenario with both of them at their best, or even being able to effectively build around it. Just like Indiana tried, but couldn't build with Sabonis and Turner.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
That lineup didn't make sense back then and wouldn't make sense now. Fox is at his best with a big man that can pull his defender out of the lane. Domas does it because opponents don't want to give him freedom to run the offense uncontested.

Hali works best with ball in his hands and a potential rim runner big man. Since Hali can play 0 defense, Fox has to pick up the slack there too.

All this is to say, you can't maximize their talents with both of them on the floor. So I can't imagine a scenario with both of them at their best, or even being able to effectively build around it. Just like Indiana tried, but couldn't build with Sabonis and Turner.
Of course I agree with you I am just talking about this fantasy land some exist in where both players could reach their full potential. Both are getting paid now (sorta, since technically Hali is on the last year of his rookie deal). We would certainly be assembling our front court from MLE level signings and below. Maybe you could have moved Barnes and Buddy for a reclamation project or draft a big in this year's draft instead of trading the pick. (it almost certainly would have been a pick in 8-12 range so let's say we picked Lively). Are we remotely better than where we are now? In any scenario is there any path forward other than doing a full blown tank again? We'd have spent last year discussing what salary we can move to acquire KP or something like that in the hopes of hitting a home run.

I just don't see any scenario where the grass is greener where we keep both Fox and Hali, and if you think we get roasted now for letting Hali go, imagine what would happen if Fox played at this level for another team. We'd have been flambeed as a place that holds talent back permanently. The fact that Fox is actually blossoming on the team that drafted him is a sign that we may not be basketball hell afterall.

Of course I agree with you I am just talking about this fantasy land some exist in where both players could reach their full potential. Both are getting paid now (sorta, since technically Hali is on the last year of his rookie deal). We would certainly be assembling our front court from MLE level signings and below. Maybe you could have moved Barnes and Buddy for a reclamation project or draft a big in this year's draft instead of trading the pick. (it almost certainly would have been a pick in 8-12 range so let's say we picked Lively). Are we remotely better than where we are now? In any scenario is there any path forward other than doing a full blown tank again? We'd have spent last year discussing what salary we can move to acquire KP or something like that in the hopes of hitting a home run.

I just don't see any scenario where the grass is greener where we keep both Fox and Hali, and if you think we get roasted now for letting Hali go, imagine what would happen if Fox played at this level for another team. We'd have been flambeed as a place that holds talent back permanently. The fact that Fox is actually blossoming on the team that drafted him is a sign that we may not be basketball hell afterall.
The team would have been in serious need of big men. If Keegan was still drafted, Kings may have had to put him in the post. With hindsight being 20/20, might have packaged Keegan on draft night to move back and pick Duren or Walker Kessler.

Instead of trading for Huerter, the Kings pull the trigger on Jeromy Grant or John Collins.

Fox
Halliburton
Hield
Collins
Duren

That might work.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The team would have been in serious need of big men. If Keegan was still drafted, Kings may have had to put him in the post. With hindsight being 20/20, might have packaged Keegan on draft night to move back and pick Duren or Walker Kessler.

Instead of trading for Huerter, the Kings pull the trigger on Jeromy Grant or John Collins.

Fox
Halliburton
Hield
Collins
Duren

That might work.
sounds inspiring especially with Mark Jackson coaching because Brown ain't coming for that. lol

I feel compelled to point out we didn’t move Hali for a second round pick here. We got an all-nba caliber big man (last I checked baskets are still 10 feet off the ground) and got rid of the cancer that is Buddy Hield.
Where did you get this. In my opinion, your comment was foolish as you have nothing to base this on. Buddy wasn't a cancer. Do you just like to tear people down...makes you feel better about your life?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Where did you get this. In my opinion, your comment was foolish as you have nothing to base this on. Buddy wasn't a cancer. Do you just like to tear people down...makes you feel better about your life?
Long time no see. Any update on how that Sasha deal was just a blatant cash grab by a bad GM?

No, we sold the pick for 1.75 million.

And I stand by my earlier statements.

Has Monte hit on a second round pick? Seeing that he has not...he sold this 2nd pick for 1.75 mil...pretty simple and a player not likely to make any noticeable improvement to an NBA roster, if he should make the roster at all. Yes, 2nd round picks do have value =1.75 mil.

Incorrect. And the failure to see this trade for what it is, 1.75 mil in cash, is a characteristic of wishful but naive fans. Are you thinking, Cleveland paid 1.75 million, to rid themselves of this impactful NBA player?

I suspect about 3 years ago you were drinking the same Kool-aid when pushing for the Vlade extention. Kings are still paying Vlade, Luke and Gentry too.

I truly hope the Kings have the right players to win this year. As far as the last 2 years go with Monte as GM, just look at the record, which is uninspiring. You don't suggest that our record was good the last two years, with Monte as GM?

Long time no see. Any update on how that Sasha deal was just a blatant cash grab by a bad GM?
Thankyou Tessujin for saying Hello.

I started with the 85 playoff games versus Twin Towers at the old Arco all the way through Golden One. Where was i mistaken in any of these comments that you reference?

I wrote the above, there was no Sasha. However, if recall correctly, the Kings sold a 2nd round pick I am referencing for 1.75 million. Am I wrong here.

Kings are still paying Vlade, Luke and Gentry too....with Gentry being head coach at the time? Do you think it was advantageous to keep paying these guys? Am I wrong here too?

"As far as the last 2 years go with Monte as GM, just look at the record, which is uninspiring. You don't suggest that our record was good the last two years, with Monte as GM?" Do you think that the Kings record-under 500, was good during his first 2 years? Am I wrong here?

Remembering of course, 16 out of 30 teams use to make the playoffs, but now thinking 20 out of 30 have a chance via playoffs.

Remembering of course, that the recent Kings held the longest out of playoffs streak in NBA history...I think it goes back to Ron Artest's first year with the Kings.

One of the most quoted sayings (to this day) in NFL history comes from the great Bill Parcells, "You are what your record says you are."

I am simply trying to state what's real, rather than hope and the hype.

Again, as I mentioned so many years ago, I hope the Kings win. And the Kings are my team. However, please don't suggest that because we made the playoffs for the first time in 16 years- and then losing in the first round to the dubs- that the Kings are anymore than- you need to prove it in the playoffs now. I watched all 3 recent Pelicans Kings game, looks to me that the Kings have a few more ladders to climb. Am I wrong here?

Back to the basis of my post. I watched the Kings with Buddy while he was here. Why again, is Buddy a Cancer?

And again, Thank you for saying Hello.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Thankyou Tessujin for saying Hello.

I started with the 85 playoff games versus Twin Towers at the old Arco all the way through Golden One. Where was i mistaken in any of these comments that you reference?

I wrote the above, there was no Sasha. However, if recall correctly, the Kings sold a 2nd round pick I am referencing for 1.75 million. Am I wrong here.
You are so wrong here that it's hard to even attempt to dignify you with a response.
Is it selling a pick when you traded it for the Euroleague MVP? It's not like the Cavs did anything amazing with the pick and Sasha is already showing himself to be at the very least a rotation player on a playoff team.

Kings are still paying Vlade, Luke and Gentry too....with Gentry being head coach at the time? Do you think it was advantageous to keep paying these guys? Am I wrong here too?
Vlade and Gentry both work for the team still so yes they are still paying them because not doing so would be something called slavery.

"As far as the last 2 years go with Monte as GM, just look at the record, which is uninspiring. You don't suggest that our record was good the last two years, with Monte as GM?" Do you think that the Kings record-under 500, was good during his first 2 years? Am I wrong here?
One year was impacted by COVID (De'Aaron literally missed most of the end of the season with COVID) and the second year ended with Davion leading the team in usage as we sat our two stars in what pretty clearly was a stealth tank attempt post-trade. I'm not exactly advocating for a parade for these two seasons or anything but it did take quite a bit of time to repair a lot of the roster damage done by Vlade post-2019.

Remembering of course, 16 out of 30 teams use to make the playoffs, but now thinking 20 out of 30 have a chance via playoffs.

Remembering of course, that the recent Kings held the longest out of playoffs streak in NBA history...I think it goes back to Ron Artest's first year with the Kings.

One of the most quoted sayings (to this day) in NFL history comes from the great Bill Parcells, "You are what your record says you are."

I am simply trying to state what's real, rather than hope and the hype.

Again, as I mentioned so many years ago, I hope the Kings win. And the Kings are my team. However, please don't suggest that because we made the playoffs for the first time in 16 years- and then losing in the first round to the dubs- that the Kings are anymore than- you need to prove it in the playoffs now. I watched all 3 recent Pelicans Kings game, looks to me that the Kings have a few more ladders to climb. Am I wrong here?

Thank you for saying Hello.
Still trying to parse this huge ass nothing burger of text but, to get back to your initial statement, the Kings sucked and looked very miserable for nearly the entirety of Buddy's tenure in Sacramento and have looked like one of the better teams in the league pretty much since they got rid of him so if that isn't any indication of the type of presence Buddy is in the locker room, I dunno what is.

You are so wrong here that it's hard to even attempt to dignify you with a response.
Is it selling a pick when you traded it for the Euroleague MVP? It's not like the Cavs did anything amazing with the pick and Sasha is already showing himself to be at the very least a rotation player on a playoff team.

Vlade and Gentry both work for the team still so yes they are still paying them because not doing so would be something called slavery.

One year was impacted by COVID (De'Aaron literally missed most of the end of the season with COVID) and the second year ended with Davion leading the team in usage as we sat our two stars in what pretty clearly was a stealth tank attempt post-trade. I'm not exactly advocating for a parade for these two seasons or anything but it did take quite a bit of time to repair a lot of the roster damage done by Vlade post-2019.

Still trying to parse this huge ass nothing burger of text but, to get back to your initial statement, the Kings sucked and looked very miserable for nearly the entirety of Buddy's tenure in Sacramento and have looked like one of the better teams in the league pretty much since they got rid of him so if that isn't any indication of the type of presence Buddy is in the locker room, I dunno what is.
We're talking about Buddie, not Boogie.

Yes he wanted to play and shoot. Welcome to the NBA. Vivek, when trading for him, said that he'd always wanted Buddy.

Remembering, that Vlade reupped Buddy to a 20 per year deal. But Buddy was a Cancer? I followed Buddy during his time here. In all that time, I never heard that he was a "Cancer." Sounds like made up stuff to me.

It's about making the playoffs and then winning in the playoffs. Making to the playoffs for the first time in 16 years is abysmal (of course, then losing in the first round-playoff series). Am I wrong here?

Buddy didn't move the needle when he was here. alright. But calling him a "Cancer," with no facts to speak of, sound like Hater-a negative or critical person to me. Fine, you don't like him, okay but calling him a Cancer-from all your sources here- is over the top.

Last edited:
We're talking about Buddie, not Boogie.

Yes he wanted to play and shoot. Welcome to the NBA. Vivek, when trading for him, said that he'd always wanted Buddy.

Remembering, that Vlade reupped Buddy to a 20 per year deal. But Buddy was a Cancer? I followed Buddy during his time here. In all that time, I never heard that he was a "Cancer." Sounds like made up stuff to me.

It's about making the playoffs and then winning in the playoffs. Making to the playoffs for the first time in 16 years is abysmal (of course, then losing in the first round-playoff series). Am I wrong here?

Buddy didn't move the needle when he was here. alright. But calling him a "Cancer," with no facts to speak of, sound like Hater-a negative or critical person to me. Fine, you don't like him, okay but calling him a Cancer-from all your sources here- is over the top.
Wait, what? Making it to the playoffs is abysmal? Are you rooting for success or....?

And yeah Buddy was a cancer. Publicly lobbying your teams GM for a contract is cringe af and only leads to a bad result, see Shaq and Dr Buss.

Idk what point you are making, but the Kings are MUCH better off since cutting ties with Buddy Drama Queen.

Wait, what? Making it to the playoffs is abysmal? Are you rooting for success or....?

And yeah Buddy was a cancer. Publicly lobbying your teams GM for a contract is cringe af and only leads to a bad result, see Shaq and Dr Buss.

Idk what point you are making, but the Kings are MUCH better off since cutting ties with Buddy Drama Queen.
Not making it to the playoffs in 16 years is abysmal. It's an NBA record.

Buddy didn't move the needle. okay. But also, we didn't have Sabonis. I think having an All-star center versus Holmes.. who we had to include our first round pick this year just to get rid of him to Dallas, is a major upgrade to the teams talent and success.

I have not read that Buddy was a Cancer until tonight. I think this is lacking in facts. You might not like Buddy, but calling Buddy a Cancer is over the top in my opinion.

Not making it to the playoffs in 16 years is abysmal. It's an NBA record.

Buddy didn't move the needle. okay. But also, we didn't have Sabonis. I think having an All-star center versus Holmes.. who we had to include our first round pick this year just to get rid of him to Dallas, is a major upgrade to the teams talent and success.

I have not read that Buddy was a Cancer before until tonight. I think this lacking in facts. You might not like Buddy, but calling Buddy a Cancer is over the top in my opinion.
If you haven't heard before tonight that Buddy is/was a cancer, you should consult your Dr. for a hearing aid.

It's well known that he is a cancer. It's well known that he has a big mouth.

Your posts don't make sense in that they smell of someone out of touch with everything surrounding the team. Which is pathetic to hear from a "fan".

Buddy was a cancer and I stand by it.

Buddy was pretty publically professional w.r.t. Sacramento until he got booed by the fans for some reason.

As far as internally, I got the feeling he didn’t get along with Walton (who benched him to prevent him from making his incentives), or Ariza (Walton’s vet), but, who cares about those losers anyway?

I think you’d need a little more evidence to establish Buddy as a locker room problem. See chart.png

THIS! This right here is why i scroll right by a lot of he nonsense. We would have been absolutely killed in the media with Fox and Embiid roasting most of the Eastern conference, deep into the post season as we miss our 17th or 18th straight season. Dear God, i shudder to think.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I’m not sure the term cancer when describing Buddy is accurate……it might be. I do know that the team/players made veiled comments in regards to him chucking and making poor decisions, and his defensive lapses.

On the other hand, he and Bogdanovich both came out publicly and said they need to be the starter at SG. And Buddy complained publicly in regards to his contract. Buddy Hield is an I guy. That to me is a cancer. In fact it’s the basis for most guys when they are labeled as cancers.