The MMA thread

Big boxing fan, but like many others, drifted moreso towards MMA. Boxing is too corrupt. Sick of not seeing the best fight the best. MMA has it's problems, but you're always going to see the best guys go at it.

On another note, Conor lived up to the hype. Dude is a freak. Couldn't love him any more, he's hilarious and pisses off everyone who takes themselves too seriously.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I appreciate watching a good technical boxing match, but I prefer MMA, because you can't choke the other guy out in boxing.

I enjoyed the first two fights on the main card the most. The first because I prefer women's MMA to men's MMA, and Zingano had a hell of a come-from-behind win, and the second because of the pro wrestling-like controversy involving the second intermission, followed by either Romero's corner refusing to translate the post-fight interview properly, or Romero straight dodging the questions, and going full insincere heel in his answers.

Decent fight pass card on tomorrow after the Patriot's game. McGregor should get past Siver to set up a superfight against Aldo for the title in Croke Park, Dublin (which happens to be right outside my house).

On a boxing note, it looks like Mayweather - Pacquiao may finally happen in May. Years too late, but better than never.

Honestly not sure if I even care about Mayweather-Pac at this point in time. Such a wasted opportunity years ago.
Could not agree more. I won't be paying for this fight IF it happens (and it won't - Floyd wants no part of this, watch him agree a rematch with Cotto). If it happens, I will be watching but I won't be paying. 5 years ago, I would have paid top dollar. Shame Floyd doesn't care about his legacy. Fact is he'd probably win (I'd bet on it), but there is something seriously scaring him away from Manny. There is no doubt who has been holding this fight up for the last 5+ years.

I'm in here late.

I follow MMA and the bigger boxing fights. Although I haven't watched quite as much UFC over the last few months because I'm so swamped with school and work. I went to the last even in Sac and one a couple years ago in San Jose. I support all Team Alpha Male.

I was also a little underwhelmed with the Silva/Diaz fight. The first round was nice, but overall it wasn't as spectacular as I had hoped. Pretty sad to find out about Anderson getting popped for PEDS, as he was one of my all time favorites.

As a huge Pacquiao fan, I'm still eagerly anticipating the fight against Mayweather. Thankfully, all indications point to the fight being announced within the next few days.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I read somewhere the other day that UFC 184 did around 600,000 buys. If that's true, then Ronda Rousey is officially the biggest draw in MMA.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
What do you mean, how so? Did you look at that card? You don't really believe that anybody paid money to see any other fight on that card, do you?

600,000 buys, to watch Ronda Rousey defend her title in fourteen seconds. After her last title defense only took sixteen seconds. UFC 184 was a **** card; it was Rousey, and nobody else. I'd like to hear a credible argument for how she isn't the biggest draw in MMA?

What do you mean, how so? Did you look at that card? You don't really believe that anybody paid money to see any other fight on that card, do you?

600,000 buys, to watch Ronda Rousey defend her title in fourteen seconds. After her last title defense only took sixteen seconds. UFC 184 was a **** card; it was Rousey, and nobody else. I'd like to hear a credible argument for how she isn't the biggest draw in MMA?
Obviously I did. And obviously she was the sole draw, and is a massive draw. I'm not disagreeing with you. Biggest in the UFC though? Doubt that. It's not as if she has the highest amount of buys. You can't just discount other fighters who get more buys because the undercards are usually better, it doesn't work like that. People, generally speaking, buy for the main attraction, not for the undercard (although obviously a strong undercard does help).

You would have a hard time convincing any big MMA fans that she's the biggest draw in the UFC. Silva (yes, still), Jones are certainly bigger draws at the moment, and then you have risers like McGregor who, if not already, could easily surpass her. We'll have to see how many buys he gets vs Aldo. GSP if he comes back will be a bigger draw too, easily.

Ronda's amazing though and a huge draw, it's unbelievable what she's doing for women's MMA. Just don't think she's the biggest draw though.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
It's not a question of "discounting" it. But there's no meaningful way to properly account for what percentage of people are ordering a show as stacked as, say UFC 181 was for the main event, and who ordered it for the co-main, or the undercard. You'll have to pardon me for considering you the exception that proves the rule, rather than an example of any kind of underrepresented majority. You're not seriously trying to argue for the drawing power of Ferguson/Tibeau, are you?

183 had a reported buy rate that was pretty close to 184, with a better card, and a more competitive main event. Everybody knew that Rousey was going to end the fight quick, and they bought 184 anyway.

I'm not sold on anybody "easily" being a bigger draw than Rousey. Put McGregor on a card with six guys named Bill, and if he gets 600K buys then, sure, I'll say he's as big a draw.

It's not a question of "discounting" it. But there's no meaningful way to properly account for what percentage of people are ordering a show as stacked as, say UFC 181 was for the main event, and who ordered it for the co-main, or the undercard. You'll have to pardon me for considering you the exception that proves the rule, rather than an example of any kind of underrepresented majority. You're not seriously trying to argue for the drawing power of Ferguson/Tibeau, are you?

I'm hardly the exception, you're the first person I've seen argue that Rousey is the UFC's biggest draw to be honest and I frequent a lot of MMA forums. Obviously you're not the only one but you're certainly in the minority. She's definitely one of the biggest draws though.

183 had a reported buy rate that was pretty close to 184, with a better card, and a more competitive main event. Everybody knew that Rousey was going to end the fight quick, and they bought 184 anyway.
Ronda was a clear favourite against Cat but to suggest everyone knew it would be over quick is nonsense. Cat was meant to be Ronda's biggest test to date and a true test for her. That's one of the reasons it sold so well, Cat was meant to be a legit threat.

I'm not sold on anybody "easily" being a bigger draw than Rousey. Put McGregor on a card with six guys named Bill, and if he gets 600K buys then, sure, I'll say he's as big a draw.
You're right that she's a bigger draw than McGregor at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes a bigger draw depending on if he gets past Aldo, but that's not the argument.

Not going to continue arguing this as it doesn't matter that much either way. It's semantics really given how good she is. I just don't think she's the biggest draw.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
  • I would say that you're looking in the wrong place, then. You don't measure who the bigger draw is by asking the hardcores, you measure by asking the casuals. The kind of people who say that they didn't order 184 because of Rousey are the kind of people who would have ordered the show no matter who was on it.
  • All of Rousey's title defense have come via stoppage. All of them except one came before the halfway point in the first round. Who the hell thought that it wasn't going to be a quick fight? I think that there were a lot of people who hoped that it would be a good fight, but I feel like most people ordering the show understood that it likely wouldn't.

K

KingMilz

Never would have thought for a split second that Dos Anjos after years ago seeing him get KO'ed by Jeremy Stephens and than losing to Clay Guide would he go on to be champ in easily the most stacked division in MMA. Same could actually be said for Robbie Lawlor (although he always had x-factor KO power that not many have) that's what I love about MMA guys literally come out of nowhere and make something of themselves.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I have maintained for quite a while that Serena Williams is the most dominant female in sports today. I'm seriously reconsidering that assessment.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I have maintained for quite a while that Serena Williams is the most dominant female in sports today. I'm seriously reconsidering that assessment.
Ronda Rousey has transcended her sport in the same way that Mike Tyson did. You're not even tuning in to a Rousey fight to see a fight; you're tuning in to see how she demolishes somebody.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
You mean when Cyborg decides to fight her? I'm not sure why the 135lb champion would have to change weight classes to fight someone else. If you want to fight Ronda, then cut the weight and fight her at the weight she's a champion at.
Right? I'm sitting here, thinking, what the hell does Rousey have to prove to Justino? Let Cyborg get off the juice and make weight; Why should Ronda have to go to her?

You mean when Cyborg decides to fight her? I'm not sure why the 135lb champion would have to change weight classes to fight someone else. If you want to fight Ronda, then cut the weight and fight her at the weight she's a champion at.
she didn't seem to have a problem making a concession to fight a catch weight bout at 140 for Carano....in fact she eagerly offered it up.

Right? I'm sitting here, thinking, what the hell does Rousey have to prove to Justino? Let Cyborg get off the juice and make weight; Why should Ronda have to go to her?
last i checked Cyborg has passed every test she has taken since her bust years ago. When Rousey is constantly spouting off about how she can theoretically beat any female or male on the planet...fighting a clean Cyborg at 140 does not seem like an issue to me.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
last i checked Cyborg has passed every test she has taken since her bust years ago. When Rousey is constantly spouting off about how she can theoretically beat any female or male on the planet...fighting a clean Cyborg at 140 does not seem like an issue to me.
You and I have diametrically different opinions regarding whether Rousey "should" fight Justino at catch weight. In my opinion, Justino "should" be the one who has to drop weight for the fight. Why? Because Rousey's the star, that's why. You can place whatever value judgment you like on Rousey's stardom, or whether she has earned her stardom or not, but the fact is, Rousey is a star, and Justino isn't. When you want to fight someone who is a star, then you "should" have to fight on the star's terms.

So, she was willing to fight Carano at catch weight? Cool. Apparently, she's not willing to fight Cyborg at catch weight. And, you know what? That's too damned bad for Cyborg. Bottom line is that Justino doesn't get to set policy: she simply is not a big enough star and, based on that metric, doesn't "deserve" to. Rousey has nothing to gain and nothing to prove by fighting Justino on Justino's terms. And the fact is, Rousey is going to continue to draw for the foreseeable future, whether she fights Justino or not. Justino's only hope at a big payday, on the other hand, is fighting Rousey, on Rousey's terms. And that, as the man says, is just the way it is.

You and I have diametrically different opinions regarding whether Rousey "should" fight Justino at catch weight. In my opinion, Justino "should" be the one who has to drop weight for the fight. Why? Because Rousey's the star, that's why. You can place whatever value judgment you like on Rousey's stardom, or whether she has earned her stardom or not, but the fact is, Rousey is a star, and Justino isn't. When you want to fight someone who is a star, then you "should" have to fight on the star's terms.

So, she was willing to fight Carano at catch weight? Cool. Apparently, she's not willing to fight Cyborg at catch weight. And, you know what? That's too damned bad for Cyborg. Bottom line is that Justino doesn't get to set policy: she simply is not a big enough star and, based on that metric, doesn't "deserve" to. Rousey has nothing to gain and nothing to prove by fighting Justino on Justino's terms. And the fact is, Rousey is going to continue to draw for the foreseeable future, whether she fights Justino or not. Justino's only hope at a big payday, on the other hand, is fighting Rousey, on Rousey's terms. And that, as the man says, is just the way it is.
That's great and I get that is how you and others view this and how it should be. It's not the way I view it and I think it's a bit bush league. If you are the best ..fight the best..I don't care if a concession needs to be made or how big of a star you are. Cyborg is the only woman out there on par with RR...so make a fight with her happen instead of wasting everyone's time with these tomato cans.