The Official Pippen for Coach Thread

He has the respect of the payers, played with Jordan, and was surrounded by a great coaching staff. He's a guy I think someone like Mike Bibby will listen to, rather than have that "whatever" attitude as he did with Rick.

moppeh said:
He has the respect of the payers, played with Jordan, and was surrounded by a great coaching staff. He's a guy I think someone like Mike Bibby will listen to, rather than have that "whatever" attitude as he did with Rick.
And he's missing one key thing. He's never had ANY type of coaching experience. Sorry, I don't want someone on their first go round that hasn't even been an assistant. I'd wouldn't mind bringing up a qualified assistant, that's had a lot of good experience. But, this job here in Sacramento I thin kis a bit to advanced for a person with NO coaching/personality management experience.

moppeh said:
The whatever attitude because you don't want to play Defense and Hustle.

Don't be in-the-box thinkers. Who said you need someone that has coaching experience? It's all about how you can influence and motivate players. It's like electing the same impotent politicians over and over again because they have "experience".

Players don't respond as well to empty suits as they would to a respected future Hall of Famer.

B

beemerr23

While I don't agree that Pippen would make a great coach, you have to look at what Avery Johnson has done with the Mavs from being a player and being outspoken. Pippen isn't very outspoken or animated to the point where he'd make a great coach. That's also why I think Adelman didn't succeed as much as he could have, he was dull and a lame duck, I can't see him firing up the team to go play.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
moppeh said:
Don't be in-the-box thinkers. Who said you need someone that has coaching experience? It's all about how you can influence and motivate players. It's like electing the same impotent politicians over and over again because they have "experience".

Players don't respond as well to empty suits as they would to a respected future Hall of Famer.
Big gambles are for people who have little to lose. If you want to take your life saving to a guy that has never done investments before beceause he "thinks out side the box" be my guest. But this IS NOT analogous to elections, this is aobut track records and leaving a top performer with a team that while no longer Elite is still in the top half of the NBA. Turining that over to a complletly unproven coach only makes sense if you compare him to guys with LOSEING records.

While I agree that Pippen is not as animated as Avery Johnson, I differ when it comes to equating an effective coach with someone who has an in-your-face personality. I think you can be just as good of a coach without all the yelling and screaming. Ron Artest already brings that type of intensity to the table, so you don't need someone doing the same thing at the coaching level; what you need is someone players will listen to.

All the naysayers here probably are the same people that didn't like or didn't want the Artest trade. I was all for that from the 1st time the rumor hit. Not to mention I was crucified for that as well.

What does artest have to do with Pippen as a Coach. Celt said it best in his post above

Pippen is not going to be the next coach so this is a worthless discussion.

BigWaxer said:
What does artest have to do with Pippen as a Coach. Celt said it best in his post above

Pippen is not going to be the next coach so this is a worthless discussion.
I also assume the Kings won't trade Peja for Artest either, right?

I've thought about it. I always assumed this stint at ESPN was a prelude to the coaching ranks. He needed to endear himself to the NBA set again. Some of his incidents rubbed people the wrong way, obviously. He's never going to unseat Greg Anthony as the lead analyst either, even though he should because Anthony is a goofball. I don't know where Pippen would get an assistant job first though. He wouldn't get along with Kobe, so he can't work with Phil. MJ isn't involved with the league anymore, and I don't know that Pippen would want to put himself in that situation again.

I think he would make a great coach, however. Pippen, even more than Jordan, was a coach on the floor. Jordan was a leader, but Pippen was an Xs and Os guy who facilitated the offense and was a real defensive captain. Jordan was a great defender, but Pippen really set the tone for that defense by matching up with the best 1-3 player of the other team. And the guy was basically a PG and more or less invented the "point forward" position which we see so much of today.

I don't think we're in any position to get just anyone. The Maloofs had better be damned careful. They seem to be trying to get the Kings back to contender status virtually overnight, and they are doing it too fast imo.

moppeh said:

I'm quite happy in my box, thank you.

Hell no!

He never coached before in his life, being on TNT in the halftime show and talking about coaching is a WHOLE lot different than actually doing it. The Kings are in no time to be gambling on a unproven coach. Kings aren't getting any younger and we need a proven winner.

Sac.Kings said:
He never coached before in his life, being on TNT in the halftime show and talking about coaching is a WHOLE lot different than actually doing it. The Kings are in no time to be gambling on a unproven coach. Kings aren't getting any younger and we need a proven winner.
Actually, if Brad is traded and Bonzi moves on, this becomes a really young team all of a sudden. I think the Maloofs are absolutely in position to make a gamble. None of the proven commodities are overly enticing, and really intriguing guys all lack experience.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
They can't really take a gamble now. The team had turned a corner, appeared to be on the way back up. They've got an arena issue. A combustible star player with a contract up in a couple of years. They can't afford to take a step back, nor to gamble on somebody and have to answer Adelman questions all year long if the team struggles. They need somebody who they KNOW can coach and win at this level.

Bricklayer said:
They can't really take a gamble now. The team had turned a corner, appeared to be on the way back up. They've got an arena issue. A combustible star player with a contract up in a couple of years. They can't afford to take a step back, nor to gamble on somebody and have to answer Adelman questions all year long if the team struggles. They need somebody who they KNOW can coach and win at this level.
True, but are you really enamored with any of the proven guys? I mean, Nellie will get 50+ wins, but his style of ball is atrocious.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Venom said:
True, but are you really enamored with any of the proven guys?
Not particularly, but that doesn't really change the position the Maloofs are in.

Figure they either have to get a guy who WILL win, or at least a splashy name who everybody will think SHOULD win. That way they are covered.

But taking a shot at a guy who has never coached -- that opens up the potential for extreme 2nd guessing and people doubting them, the franchise, calling us directionless etc. Then it HAS to work, or people lose all confidence.

Bricklayer said:
Not particularly, but that doesn't really change the position the Maloofs are in.

Figure they either have to get a guy who WILL win, or at least a splashy name who everybody will think SHOULD win. That way they are covered.

But taking a shot at a guy who has never coached -- that opens up the potential for extreme 2nd guessing and people doubting them, the franchise, calling us directionless etc. Then it HAS to work, or people lose all confidence.

Question: how does this compare with dumping Doug Collins for Phil Jackson? I was still a young pup at the time, but I remember it being slightly controversial. Jackson had been a successful coach in the CBA and Puerto Rican Summer League, but had only been an assistant for about a year and a half I think. I know Collins had issues that almost necissitated his firing, and the Bulls had Jordan compared to our Artest, but both outgoing coaches were highly esteemed by their marquee players. Had Jackson failed, Krause and Reinsdorf would have been in serious trouble, and accused of squandering MJ's prime.

Venom said:
Question: how does this compare with dumping Doug Collins for Phil Jackson? I was still a young pup at the time, but I remember it being slightly controversial. Jackson had been a successful coach in the CBA and Puerto Rican Summer League, but had only been an assistant for about a year and a half I think. I know Collins had issues that almost necissitated his firing, and the Bulls had Jordan compared to our Artest, but both outgoing coaches were highly esteemed by their marquee players. Had Jackson failed, Krause and Reinsdorf would have been in serious trouble, and accused of squandering MJ's prime.
Doug Collins wasn't doing a good coaching job in Chicago. They were winning games, but primarily off the greatness of Michael Jordan. In that situation, they were going to win games and get to the playoffs regardless of who the coach was. And Doug Collins wasn't well-liked by the fans.

With us, the coach is going to have to get the most out of the entire rotation. If he doesn't get this thing right, then the Kings could be taking a major step backwards, right out of the Western conference playoff picture. And if that happens, all hell could break loose. You have perhaps the most volatile player in the NBA on the team, whose next move can hardly be predicted, you have a war going on between the owners of the team and the city for a new arena, you have ever-increasing tension between Geoff Petrie and the owners, and you have a demanding fan base that is already alienated due to the Adelman departure.

If the Kings have a bad season next year, who knows what could happen? The Maloofs timing was terrible, and the manner in which they handled the situation was even worse. But now that they've put themselves between a rock and hard place, there's no way they can take a "chance" on someone with absolutely NO coaching experience: not college, NBA, WNBA, CBA, Olympics, summer league, nothing.

If Scottie Pippen is hired as the new head coach -- as hard as it is to say it -- Sacramento can kiss the Kings goodbye.

OK call me crazy but I don't think it would be such a bad idea.Didn't he do some work with the Lakers this year? Not much experience but he has the big name the Maloofs might be looking for and they are gamblers so who knows. Plus after all those years with Phil, he might have learnt something.
He may suck as Kings head coach but you could say that about pretty much everybody else mentioned.