The Hip-Hop Thread

So, can we talk about how DU only had, like, five songs that got mainstream radio play, and your Top 5 just happens to include all four of them? :p
I was hoping that would go unnoticed. However, sometimes the best songs are the ones that get played.

I own(ed) sex packets and Sons of the P. and the Nothing but Trouble Soundtrack. But didn't really love their non mainstream stuff. :shrug:

Pick a different artist and lets see if I come back with the radio hits.

My wife took my son to the Luda/DMX/DU concert at G1C (Shock was not there) and he got to see DMX pray rap, which I was so excited for because it confused him mightily. RIP DMX/Shock/Black Rob

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Oh, it wasn't a diss: just having a little fun. Like, I love "Same Song," but it's also only my fourth-favorite song from that EP.

I also own every full-length album (and most of the EPs) ever released by DU, and I've listened to them all about a hundred times, so if anybody was going to catch that...

Oh, it wasn't a diss: just having a little fun. Like, I love "Same Song," but it's also only my fourth-favorite song from that EP.

I also own every full-length album (and most of the EPs) ever released by DU, and I've listened to them all about a hundred times, so if anybody was going to catch that...

I understand it wasn't a diss, and I actually fully knew you would probably catch that. That being said. why don't we play the top 5 songs from X group. That could be fun for a few posts. I'll start with my favorite posed to you.

ATCQ - And go

Midnight Marauders is a bit slept on for whatever reason, but I might be in agreement. It's really close to w/ Low End Theory.

Ok, so this is really hard for me

1. Scenario (not the remix)
2. Buggin Out
3. Award Tour
4. Find a Way
5. Steve Bilko (stir it up)

But I could list like 12 songs here.

Have you listed to their most recent album that was done just before Phife passed?

Now you pick a group.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I have to contribute here with my personal Gang Starr top 5. Didn't realize there were more Hip-Hop heads on this forum. Let's keep this going.

1. Betrayal
2. Above the Clouds
3. Mass Appeal
4. Deadly Habitz
5. Moment of Truth

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I'm not really a hip-hop head, to tell the truth. I couldn't have done more than another couple rounds of "Name your five favorite hip-hop tracks from X?" I've always been more of an R&B/New Jack Swing kind of guy; Digital is actually the only group that I really **** with the long way, like that. As for my own five favorite Gang Starr tracks:

1. B.Y.S.
2. Words I Manifest
3. Mostly the Voice
4. Much Too Much
5. (tie) Rite Where U Stand/Take it Personal

In any case, I think I'll split this into its own thread, so that people will actually know what's being talked about, and maybe it'll get a little more attention, that way.

I too am not that much of a hip hop guy. I like it a lot I'm just not well versed. I'm pretty niche in what I like and don't like.

For example I dont think I can name a single Gang Starr song. I would probably recognize a few.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I would say that I think I guessed rightly, but when it comes to hip-hop, I know a little about a lot, but I only know a lot about very little.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
let's go with top 5 Wu-Tang songs next. I'll start

1. Mystery of Chessboxin'
2. Gravel Pit
3. Protect Ya Neck
4. Can it be so simple
5. 7th chamber

Thats like asking me to pick my favorite child.

But I'll try

RZA

Enter the 36 Chambers

Method Man & Tical are close.

GZA and Liquid Swords would be next.

Im old

Honestly after the double CD, I didn't love a lot of what came out.

When Bobby Digital came out, IDK, it was a bit weird.

I'll give it a re-listen, but its not in the rotation.

Warcloud when I use to listen to rap was my favourite Wu-Tang member very underground type rapper and I think he went to an insane asylum which if you listen to his strange raps is not a surprise.

Whoomp There it is - Tag Team
Please Hammer Don’t Hurt Em - MC Hammer
Music for the People - Marky Mark
As Nasty as they Wanna Be - 2 Live Crew
12 inches of Snow - Snow