The Harry Giles option conundrum

Watching Giles last night and you see how he does so many little things that help you win.

He's active on defense, challenges shots, tries hard to stay in front of guards on switches, plays the passing lanes, etc. On offense he sets good screens, you can run the offense out of the high post with him, he's a great passer and if you cut he will find you. He plays with passion and generally it seems like when he's on the floor the team has more "fight" in it.

He still fouls way too much (but at least he's trying) and some of his passes are way too ambitious.

Bagley is a much better scorer and finisher as he's just a better athlete than Giles. However between the two.....Giles is the guy that plays "winning" basketball. Giles has the higher basketball IQ and much better court vision. He does the little things that we have not seen from Bagley.

It's really too bad that these two apparently won't ever be playing together in the future as Giles and Bagley compliment each other well.

Watching Giles last night and you see how he does so many little things that help you win.

He's active on defense, challenges shots, tries hard to stay in front of guards on switches, plays the passing lanes, etc. On offense he sets good screens, you can run the offense out of the high post with him, he's a great passer and if you cut he will find you. He plays with passion and generally it seems like when he's on the floor the team has more "fight" in it.

He still fouls way too much (but at least he's trying) and some of his passes are way too ambitious.

Bagley is a much better scorer and finisher as he's just a better athlete than Giles. However between the two.....Giles is the guy that plays "winning" basketball. Giles has the higher basketball IQ and much better court vision. He does the little things that we have not seen from Bagley.

It's really too bad that these two apparently won't ever be playing together in the future as Giles and Bagley compliment each other well.
There was a period last season when Coach Joeger would play Giles and Bagley together, and you could see that there was great potential there. Maybe Walton will eventually figure it out.

Harry Giles has potential. His talent at the NBA level is yet to be seen. Saying he would help the team against the Grizzlies is wishful thinking IMHO. He's a foul magnet.
You and I were both right. He has talent and hes a foul magnet. But he also contributes to winning basketball!

I bet hes trade fodder. Vlade step down already.
Trade or not Giles won’t be here next year and that’s something we have to live with

This is what I was saying in the game thread the other day

There was a period last season when Coach Joeger would play Giles and Bagley together, and you could see that there was great potential there. Maybe Walton will eventually figure it out.
I meant long term. We are not going to be seeing them together long term because barring another setback with his knees, Giles is as good as gone this off-season. You can bet smart GM's are paying attention and it's worth giving him a one or front loaded two year deal at say 6-8 Million per season. It would be a gamble but he's the kinda talent worth gambling on. A team like Boston would be a perfect fit for him.

Other than loyalty there really is no reason for him to stay here.

I meant long term. We are not going to be seeing them together long term because barring another setback with his knees, Giles is as good as gone this off-season. You can bet smart GM's are paying attention and it's worth giving him a one or front loaded two year deal at say 6-8 Million per season. It would be a gamble but he's the kinda talent worth gambling on. A team like Boston would be a perfect fit for him.

Other than loyalty there really is no reason for him to stay here.
I don't know why I am, but still holding out hope that we have a "golden handshake" deal with him for him to come back on like a 2 yr/7mil type deal where he gets more guaranteed money and we gain some long-term flexibility. The whole situation is just so freaking strange, never seen anything like it in the NBA where a dude was talked up as the franchise savior one year and then seemingly on the way out the next. Makes absolutely no sense logically unless something behind the scenes was going on. But Vlade has shown time and time again not to make any logical sense, so the reports of Giles needing to "earn" his next contract and us giving up 5 years of team control would fit his narrative perfectly.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I don't know why I am, but still holding out hope that we have a "golden handshake" deal with him for him to come back on like a 2 yr/7mil type deal where he gets more guaranteed money and we gain some long-term flexibility. The whole situation is just so freaking strange, never seen anything like it in the NBA where a dude was talked up as the franchise savior one year and then seemingly on the way out the next. Makes absolutely no sense logically unless something behind the scenes was going on. But Vlade has shown time and time again not to make any logical sense, so the reports of Giles needing to "earn" his next contract and us giving up 5 years of team control would fit his narrative perfectly.
Hope is all we got, brotha.

I think people are overestimating Giles'value. While I disagree with not taking his option, he would have to play amazing ball to get a contract better than 4 mil.

Holmes got 2 years 10 million as a proven backup, while Giles has played less than a hundred games since his junior year of high school.

It's not unheard of for teams to bring back rookies who they decline contracts for.

I think people are overestimating Giles'value. While I disagree with not taking his option, he would have to play amazing ball to get a contract better than 4 mil.

Holmes got 2 years 10 million as a proven backup, while Giles has played less than a hundred games since his junior year of high school.

It's not unheard of for teams to bring back rookies who they decline contracts for.
I dont disagree here, but the sheer stupidity of giving up all your leverage and team control is just mind-boggling bad asset management for one of the team best future assets. You decline players like Swanigan, who have shown absolutely nothing in their NBA career. You dont decline players like Giles who absolutely showed us enough last season to keep that option and keep that team control through his RFA.

There's no reason we couldn't be having this conversation next year about keeping Giles if we haven't seen the necessary growth. Or just letting the RFA market dictate his value and possibly get him signed on for a good value contract. The 4 million "saved" this off-season virtually means nothing towards our cap situation and what we'd be able to do in Free Agency. If Giles isn't back next year, this will be right up there with the Philly trade in terms of the worst moves Vlade has made in his tenure.

Giles can play. He hustles and plays hard. He runs the floor, plays defense, rebounds and is a really good passer. He focuses less on offense, but does everything well.

Staying healthy though is his biggest challenge. I wish him all the best.

No, he fouls because he looks past the now. He's also prone to frustration fouls. It's not about strength. It's about learning to think.
Disagree. He gets frustrated because he can’t body up opposing centers. So instead he gambled and tries to reach. Just like every player in the 2000s fouling. Shaq

With Dedmon definitely out of the rotation we became extremely thin in the front court. I believe the only reason Giles is playing is because Dedmon at this point is deeper in the dog house than Giles.

But it’s let us and the rest of the league see what he has. I hope he stays healthy and he can develop his game to at least where we left off last season.

The professional athlete more or less has one job - stay ready to play. This includes training and conditioning with the goal of optimizating one’s performance. By published accounts, Giles reported “out of shape” to pre-season camp. At the very least, this suggests a lack of professionalism and dedication which should give pause to any organization considering an investment in a player. Bottom line: Despite his potential, the Kings seem to have lost faith in Harry and his development, choosing instead to tie its fortunes to two other up and coming players - Fox and Bagley - who were more certain commodities. I don’t think it would have been monetarily feasible to keep all three young players anyway, so I understand the calculation. If you are looking to lay blame for Harry’s estrangement, blame Giles himself - not the Kings.

Last edited:
I'm confident that one day we are going to find out what the heck has been going on. Whether it comes out through the media or what, we will find out. Hell, Harry himself will probably make it clear via social media or whatever once he's no longer on the team.

The professional athlete more or less has one job - stay ready to play. This includes training and conditioning with the goal of optimizating one’s performance. By published accounts, Giles reported “out of shape” to pre-season camp. At the very least, this suggests a lack of professionalism and dedication which should give pause to any organization considering an investment in a player. Bottom line: Despite his potential, the Kings lost faith in Harry and his development, choosing instead to tie its fortunes to two other up and coming players - Fox and Bagley - who were more certain commodities. I don’t think it would have been monetarily feasible to keep all three young players anyway, so I understand the calculation. If you are looking to lay blame for Harry’s estrangement, blame Giles himself - not the Kings.
And yet you have nothing to base this opinion on.