The 2013 NBA Finals: (1) Miami Heat vs (2) San Antonio Spurs

Who will be NBA Champions?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, this series was lost in the last 20 secs of game 6, and while I respect Pop more than any current coach in the league it was him leaving Duncan on the bench and not SA not securing just one of two defensive rebounds which would have sealed the game.

I hate Lebron. F'ing hate Miami. More than I hate LA and Kobe. Get healthy D Rose.

It was fitting to end the game with a Ginobili's turnover. So typical of him.

The Spurs fans really dislike him.
Huh? Spurs fans love Manu, he just doesn't have it anymore.

And that's not typical Manu. In the past he would back it out and either attack the rim or hit a clutch step back 3. He was IMO the most clutch of SA's big 3.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Rockets fans are weird. I mean, I can get rooting for the Heat if you're a Heat fan, or if you're pro-dynasty, or pro-large market, or a front-runner, or even if you're a "LeBron-only" fan, or something like that. But, when the totality of your reasons for rooting for the Heat boils down to "Because I want the Rockets to have the most titles of any Texas basketball team," that strikes me as somewhat psychotic. Is there any fan of any team, in any sport, not from Texas, who thinks like this?

i look at it this way. Miami just basically fell into another ring. i mean when you have a fully healthy SUPER TEAM, you are SUPPOSED to win or its just a failure.

Rose, Deng, Rondo, Granger were all hurt which made their trip to the finals all but a garuntee. then they still barely beat Indiana and SA. and could have lost either one of those series if it wasnt for a simple coaching error (Hibbert pulled in game 1, Duncan pulled in game 6)

so no, i am NOT impressed by Miami winning the ring this year.

IMO, this series was lost in the last 20 secs of game 6, and while I respect Pop more than any current coach in the league it was him leaving Duncan on the bench and not SA not securing just one of two defensive rebounds which would have sealed the game.

I hate Lebron. F'ing hate Miami. More than I hate LA and Kobe. Get healthy D Rose.
While I still have a healthy dose of hate for LA and Kobe, I certainly have way more respect for Kobe than LeBron.

Hey now, let's not get too hasty...
Well the Lakers teams we battled with are long gone. Kobe is the only one left and he only has maybe 2-3 years left. Everyone else has moved on. In this present era however, I hate Miami with a passion. If it was LAL/Mia in the Finals, I'd root for LAL, simply hoping Lebron doesn't win. Only time I ever root for him is in a USA jersey.

Will say a respect and admire Wade.

Major respect to TD, leading a half function Spur to fight a can't miss Heats team to the final min. I strongly believe is Pop let Tmac play in the 2nd half - bring to ball up and get out of the way - Spur will win, oh well.

On the other hand, I can't stop thinking about

Beno/Reke/Leanard/Sammy/Cousins

spot on

If SA was a few years younger Mia would have gotten schooled. SA still the greatest big 3. Mia just got them when they were on their last legs, and this series should have gone to SA Tue night.

Major respect to TD, leading a half function Spur to fight a can't miss Heats team to the final min. I strongly believe is Pop let Tmac play in the 2nd half - bring to ball up and get out of the way - Spur will win, oh well.

On the other hand, I can't stop thinking about

Beno/Reke/Leanard/Sammy/Cousins
i completely forgot about tmac. they shoulda thrown him in. none of the other spurs could create for themselves.

it would've been beno/reke/leonard/drummond/cousins

anyone else think the Spurs probably would have won if they hadn't waived Steven Jackson?

and the only thing that i enjoyed tonight, was seeing LeBron make so many jumpers and then realizing the guy who is responsible for that is now the Kings lead assistant coach.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Well the Lakers teams we battled with are long gone. Kobe is the only one left and he only has maybe 2-3 years left. Everyone else has moved on...
Can't speak for anyone else, but that's not why I hate the lakers. I mean, it factors in, but not as much as might be expected... The Jazz beat us in the playoffs, and I don't hate them; the Spurs beat us in the playoffs, I don't hate them. The Sonics beat us in the playoffs twice, I never hated them.

I mean, I hate Miami, and think that the way their Big Three came together was bogus, but they'll never eclipse my hatred for the lakers. Short of them becoming the LA Heat, that's not even possible.

EDIT - And yes, I can appreciate the irony, given what I said thirteen posts ago...

While I was rooting for San Antonio, it was nice watching David Stern and Micky Arison (heats owner) up there celebrating. They both supported our Sacramento Kings staying in Sacramento, so I was happy for them. Congratulations Miami Heats!

Spurs actually have some cap space. If they could get a younger scorer and sign a guy like Daly to help Duncan down low, they could possibly make another run although not likely.

Actually, if I were SA I'd consider signing Reke or at least offering a contract, as well as a guy like Monta who I don't like that much but is a scorer who can handle and create some and Pop would probably make him a better, more efficient player.

If they had a little more help inside and another perimeter scorer, I'd be rooting for them to make another run. Duncan had his best year in almost 5 seasons and TP is still young enough. Leonard will improve. And a big who can help can be found somewhat cheaply. Look no further than Birdman who no one wanted. Or Martin who helped NY.

So does James now get on a freight train roll to his 6-7 NBA championships or whatever number he predicted when arriving in Miami? Do Spurs now quickly fade away with retirements including Duncan, Ginobili, and Popovich sooner rather than later? Can anyone challenge Heat except maybe Chicago or Indiana going forward in immediate future? OKC best in west for awhile but do they have enough to stop LeBron train? Hopefully, Kings crash through the gates sooner rather than later at least like rising Golden State has going... otherwise entire league could be boring for remainder of this decade):

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
... Actually, if I were SA I'd consider signing Reke or at least offering a contract, as well as a guy like Monta who I don't like that much but is a scorer who can handle and create some and Pop would probably make him a better, more efficient player...
Evans playing with Parker would create the same problems as Evans playing with Thomas. The only difference is, with Parker, you have a legitimate reason to give him the ball over Evans.

If Duncan were on his way to twenty-eight, and not thirty-eight, I'd say that San Antonio might want to look at Evans to replace Ginobili, but I think that that role is going to mean a lot less, and be utilized much differently, once Duncan retires.

You and I think very alike. I still don't really blame Pop for the missed rebounds though - it was really just an unlucky bounce of the ball. If they'd given up an open 3 on the Heat's first attempt and it went in he would be criticized for not putting a more mobile lineup out there. 3 Spurs went for the rebound with no Miami players around and ended up tipping the ball to Mike Miller.

Still, it doesn't s*ck as much considering that Miami already won one last year. Nobody expected the San Antonio Spurs to end their season in game 7 of the NBA finals, so props to them for a great season. I doubt they will be able to make it back next year but then again nobody thought Tim Duncan would ever see the finals again after their last ring.

Tiago Splitter and Ginobili share much of the blame for the series loss. Both guys were invisible and somewhat useless save for spurts here and there. I still think Parker is one of if not the best PG in the game now, but there's only so much you can do when you're being guarded by a freak athlete 8" taller than you. Heck, even Durant was kept in check by James last finals.

I think Miami's dynasty lasts another year, tops, because I expect James to opt out. I think he knows that Wade is done.
Honestly I hope he does that. Will just go to show what a pantsy he is, always taking the easy way out. But hey, if he'd like to be a wuss and team up with the Sacramento Kings and win not 1 not 2 but 20000 championships I'll support him.

Evans playing with Parker would create the same problems as Evans playing with Thomas. The only difference is, with Parker, you have a legitimate reason to give him the ball over Evans.

If Duncan were on his way to twenty-eight, and not thirty-eight, I'd say that San Antonio might want to look at Evans to replace Ginobili, but I think that that role is going to mean a lot less, and be utilized much differently, once Duncan retires.
Disagree, as TP is very willing to give up the ball and move without it. IT pounded the rock because we had a terrible system and a coach who wouldn't define roles. TP plays just fine with Manu handling. And Pop notoriously rests the big 3, so TP might see his mins cut to slightly under 30 a night which would open it up even more for Reke.

I just wouldn't have much of a concern given the coach and his history of defining roles. TP was looking for someone to help handle the ball. And it's also not like if this happened that Reke would be battling with a number of guys for the ball like he does here. It's really only TP/Manu handling or playing through Duncan. Everyone else plays off them. If Pop was our coach do you really think we would have seen IT pounding the hell out of the ball as much with Reke in the corner? I personally don't.

If WB/Harden had success together and both are extremely aggressive, and Wade/Lebron can do the same, I think it could work, and it's based off the coach, the system, and that most of the roster is off the ball shooters and defensive role players who don't compete for handling.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Disagree, as TP is very willing to give up the ball and move without it. IT pounded the rock because we had a terrible system and a coach who wouldn't define roles. TP plays just fine with Manu handling. And Pop notoriously rests the big 3, so TP might see his mins cut to slightly under 30 a night which would open it up even more for Reke.

I just wouldn't have much of a concern given the coach and his history of defining roles. TP was looking for someone to help handle the ball. And it's also not like if this happened that Reke would be battling with a number of guys for the ball like he does here. It's really only TP/Manu handling or playing through Duncan. Everyone else plays off them. If Pop was our coach do you really think we would have seen IT pounding the hell out of the ball as much with Reke in the corner? I personally don't.

If WB/Harden had success together and both are extremely aggressive, and Wade/Lebron can do the same, I think it could work, and it's based off the coach, the system, and that most of the roster is off the ball shooters and defensive role players who don't compete for handling.
Well, you've got my mouth watering at the prospect of Pop coaching Cousins, but my point was that, whether Parker is recognized as "the man" there now, or not, I think that offense undergoes major change when Duncan retires, and will not look like we have seen it look, even since Parker became the go-to guy. The other guys may play off of Parker, but that is still largely due to how the opposing teams' defenses regard Duncan. And I don't think that Evans in the "Manu" role will be as useful to them a year from now as it would have been a year ago.

I think that if 2013 Evans were on the Spurs instead of 2013 Ginobili, that the Spurs are champions. And they probably win it in five. But for 2014 and beyond, it's harder to say whether he'd still be as valuable.

This Spurs-Heat finals was exactly why I love the game of basketball. Two great teams. One great battle. Although they lost, the San Antonio Spurs are what I define as a class act. From Tim Duncan to Pops, the Spurs are what every team aspires to be. While I may dislike the person because of the way he left Cleveland, LeBron James has my respect as a basketball player. Congrats go out to the Heat for winning it all. Congrats go out to the Spurs for putting up a helluva fight.

Well, you've got my mouth watering at the prospect of Pop coaching Cousins, but my point was that, whether Parker is recognized as "the man" there now, or not, I think that offense undergoes major change when Duncan retires, and will not look like we have seen it look, even since Parker became the go-to guy. The other guys may play off of Parker, but that is still largely due to how the opposing teams' defenses regard Duncan. And I don't think that Evans in the "Manu" role will be as useful to them a year from now as it would have been a year ago.

I think that if 2013 Evans were on the Spurs instead of 2013 Ginobili, that the Spurs are champions. And they probably win it in five. But for 2014 and beyond, it's harder to say whether he'd still be as valuable.
I know Pop has somewhat said that he'll leave when Duncan does, but I would be truly interested to see him coach the team for another year or two after Duncan leaves, just to see how he changes their offense and stuff like that. That man is a genius, and his one line answers to the media carry more weight than everything Keith Smart said in a season combined.

I agree with much of that, just think Pop is one coach who can really get players playing at or near their ceiling. And when he does it with guys like Danny Green and the development of Leonard, among many other previously, I would think it could go very well with a guy like Reke, and he's shown he's willing to change the offense based on his talent.

Of course the big question would be what happens when Duncan walks away, whenever that is. Still think he has 2 quality years left, and if he gets some help beyond Splitter down low that only helps.

Little chance of any of this happening, I just hope SA can sign another scorer and get some help down low and make another run as I'm such a big fan of what they've done.

Status
Not open for further replies.