Thank you, Derrick Williams! To Knicks - 2y/10mil

A change of scenery might help Williams. But that's what we thought when he left Minny for Sactown. Oh well, meandering tale of Coke Machine continues in the Big Apple.

A change of scenery might help Williams. But that's what we thought when he left Minny for Sactown. Oh well, meandering tale of Coke Machine continues in the Big Apple.
Good thing we only play the Knicks twice a year seeing what he does against Minny every time we played them

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Knicks fan here. So how was he this season?
Better. Has found a bit of a niche as a pure open court scorer. Tremendous athlete. Might be getting his 3pt game back a little. But oh my is he soft. Soft and pretty and just about the dunks really. No defense at either position. Not enough quickness at SF, not enough toughness at PF. The rebounding is actually remarkable -- went on a late season streak for us where he grabbed 18 total rebounds over an 11 game stretch while playing 20+ min a night? Just wants no part of the physical work.

Flamboyant flyer, just real questions if he's about winning. As long as you run you'll get your money's worth of highlights though.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Some great dunks! good luck Derick! I caught some flack when I suggested we might want to make a QO at 4 mill from people who said no one would pay that much for him, for his sake I am glad they were wrong. I am not sure how it would have played out trying to trade him and Vlade did seem to need the cash but obviously there was some interest out there. Guess we can call this a Win Win... he got more money and we needed the cash more than the trade asset.

This website almost unanimously agrees he doesn't put effort into improving his game. I don't agree or disagree with this board's opinion on DWill's effort.

He got better with shooting the 3.

That's it

K

KingMilz

Derrick is really not as bad as some of you are making him out to be, he's a NBA player that once in a while can swing a game and his 3point shot is improving. Not a bad signing at all for NY.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Derrick is really not as bad as some of you are making him out to be, he's a NBA player that once in a while can swing a game and his 3point shot is improving. Not a bad signing at all for NY.
At the same time, I'm not quite sure he's a good fit for a triangle offense team like the one Phil Jackson is trying to build. That said, considering the state of the east, it's not completely out of the question that the Knicks somehow wind up in the playoffs next season.

Robin Lopez
D-Will/Porzingis
Carmelo/Early
Zombie Afflalo/Galloway
Caulderon/Jerian Grant

is somehow more talented than a lot of the other starting fives of the bottom dwellers in the eastern conference.

Thank you Williams!

AS for the Knick fan, I think you guys will love and hate Williams. Sometimes he shows up and puts up good numbers and highlight reel plays and sometimes he doesn't show up and pretty much puts zeros across the board.

He won't cause issues with players though and always seems to have a smile on his face. He belongs in the NBA, definitely, but I wanted a better rebounding big backing CUZ/JT (when JT was here). If he could rebound and block a couple shots he would have been perfect for the Kings. Alas, he's not what we need at this time so we let him go.

As long as the Knicks don't need Williams to score, defend, rebound, hustle, pass, plays physical, or stretch the floor; he'll do ok.

As long as the Knicks don't need Williams to score, defend, rebound, hustle, pass, plays physical, or stretch the floor; he'll do ok.
Oh, come on! There's one thing Derrick does well, and it's sort of "good" scoring, since it's either transition or off-the-ball, but that's roleplaying type, and, you're right, Williams can't do any of the other stuff, support guys need to do well, which makes Derrick a player with close to 0 impact. Too bad none of the contenders signed him to this contract.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think DWill could have a career year in NYC. He had his best stretch for the Kings in the few games where he started at SF before the trade for Rudy Gay.

If the Knicks give him a starting spot and plenty of PT I think he can put up numbers. He's just not a guy that'll ever help a team win.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I think DWill could have a career year in NYC. He had his best stretch for the Kings in the few games where he started at SF before the trade for Rudy Gay.

If the Knicks give him a starting spot and plenty of PT I think he can put up numbers. He's just not a guy that'll ever help a team win.
Wrong system for him. And I mean as in WRONG system for him. Was truly the bizarre signing of the summer for the Knicks. Lopez? Sure. O'Quinn? Not only do I like him, but he can run the triangle. But DWill...in the triangle?