Tennis

I don't like watching Venus vs Serena. Especially when there's a lot on the line for one or both of them. I watched a little yesterday but didn't enjoy it. It will be much more fun rooting for Serena from here on out.

Yeah, Roger! Can we get a Fed-Nadal final one last time please? That would legit be the most awesome thing to happen in men's tennis in a long time.

Serena wins to capture her 23rd slam, passing Graf and one behind Court. Match wasn't all that great, Venus made a ton of errors. Hopefully tomorrow's men's final will be better.

Serena wins to capture her 23rd slam, passing Graf and one behind Court.
1 behind Court, but Court didn't play in the Open era. Serena has the most in the Open era.

Congrats to Roger for his 18th slam! I didn't think he would pull out that fifth set against Rafa. GOAT status cemented.
Nah, can't be the GOAT when you were the greatest of your own era. Despite the loss last night, Rafa's still had Roger's number and owned him. Fed is 12-23 against Rafa all-time, including 3-6 in Grand Slam Finals. Rafa has beaten Roger on his best surfaces, both at Wimbledon and the Aussie Open. Fed never beat Rafa at Roland Garros.

Novak Djokovic also own the head-to-head advantage over Roger at 23-22 and in Grand Slam Finals 3-1.

I believe it was pointed out by Brad Gilbert last night that Roger won 7 slams before the Rafa, Djokovic, and Murray eras began and benefited early in his career from stars such as Sampras and Agassi being in the twilight of their careers. From 2003 through early 2006, he didn't really have anyone to compete with him and won 7 of his 18 slams. Conversely, Rafa and Novak have won their titles during a time when all 4 players were actively competing at a high level.

Roger is certainly the most accomplished player of all-time, with regard to Grand Slam titles, but not necessarily the GOAT. Not only do you have to consider head-to-head, especially in majors, but you also have to weigh in Masters championships, the Olympics and Davis Cup. Rafa really separates himself with all those factored in, with Djokovic closing the gap.

Lastly, one other important thing to consider is that Roger (and Pete Sampras before him) has also benefited from the fact that 3 of the 4 grand slams are on surfaces (grass and hard court) that favor his game. Only 1 is played on clay, which is Rafa's best surface. Hence Rafa's been at a disadvantage with less opportunities on his best surface. Despite that disadvantage, Rafa has still won 14 slams including 5 on hard courts and grass whereas Fed only won 1 on clay. Imagine if it was more evened out and 2 of the majors were on clay and 2 on hard court or grass. Things would be drastically different. Think of it in football or basketball terms wherein 1 team got to play 75% of it's games at home and the other only played 25% at home. The fact that their records were even close would be a testament to the team that played all those road games at a disadvantage.

Right now Fed has a 4 slam lead on Rafa and a 6 slam lead on Djokovic (who is the most likely to keep closing the gap). If either or both get to within 2 or 3 of Fed's final tally all while owning the head-to-head all-time and in majors and while also having more Masters and Davis Cup titles, along with an Olympic gold medal --- I don't see how Roger Federer really has a good argument for GOAT.

That's my take on it anyway. I've read others in the industry that have suggested the same thing.

Last edited:
Serena "The GOAT" Williams beats Maria "The Drug Cheat" Sharapova in the first round of the US Open. Serena now has a career record of 20-2 versus Sharapova, and has won 19 matches in a row... That's Vitas Gerulitas territory. :D

Also, this happened:

I thought it was stupid.
Most people do not even know about the drug that was found in her blood. It was a legal maintenance drug and you can buy more potent enhancers at Rite Aid for less than $10. It is like giving Dulera or Breo to an asthmatic and expect immediate improvements just because they are categorized as asthma drugs. I do not expect people to know medicine or pharmacology well. It is easier for me because it is my profession.

I am not her apologist or fan. I read her book and found her a bitter and sad person. However, calling her the drug cheat because they found freaking Meldonium in her blood is ridiculous. I repeat - Meldonium. I think the whole "Meldonium saga" was created by the same people who think that Apple Cider vinegar can cure cancer and make you a champion or some other shady reasons. But hey, who cares about it nowadays. WADA just fairly recently banned it because it is a metabolic modulator, one of many, and is also from Eastern Europe, and not approved by the FDA, and they do not know much about it ... literally. So let's ban it just in case even though we have little or no scientific evidence to support that decision and even actually have scientific evidence that this drug has zero performance-enhancement properties. And let's call her the drug cheat, insult her and ruin her career and others. Well, everyone on the Internet says so, right?! It must be new steroids or something. As Bill Maher has said, "I do not know it for a fact, I just know it is true". Scary times, scary times.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
What do you mean, I don't know it for a fact? It is a fact: Sharapova got busted for drug use. I mean, I guess you can say, "It's just Meldonium," if you want to, but that's equivocation, to me. Also, who gives a **** if you can get "better" performance enhancers "at Rite Aid"? She was using that one. It was banned, and she took it. Those are, indeed, the facts. Like, I guess you can believe her claims that she "didn't know" that it had been added to the banned substances list, if you are inclined to do so. I am not.

I have no empathy or sympathy for Sharapova, not even a little bit. "Ruin her career"? She's still, like, the second-highest paid woman in tennis, cheating scandal and all. She's gotten invited to tournaments that she didn't even qualify for, and given preferential treatment by having her matches on center court, even when her ranking has suggested that she wasn't entitled to be there. Sharapova hasn't gotten half the kicking around that she deserves, IYAM.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What do you mean, I don't know it for a fact? It is a fact: Sharapova got busted for drug use. I mean, I guess you can say, "It's just Meldonium," if you want to, but that's equivocation, to me. Also, who gives a **** if you can get "better" performance enhancers "at Rite Aid"? She was using that one. It was banned, and she took it. Those are, indeed, the facts. Like, I guess you can believe her claims that she "didn't know" that it had been added to the banned substances list, if you are inclined to do so. I am not.

I have no empathy or sympathy for Sharapova, not even a little bit. "Ruin her career"? She's still, like, the second-highest paid woman in tennis, cheating scandal and all. She's gotten invited to tournaments that she didn't even qualify for, and given preferential treatment by having her matches on center court, even when her ranking has suggested that she wasn't entitled to be there. Sharapova hasn't gotten half the kicking around that she deserves, IYAM.
QFT

You called her a Drug Cheat and yet the drug that was found in her body has pretty much zero performance enhancement properties according to most people in my industry. And yes, it is important what athletes took exactly and let's not compare Meldonium users with steroid users. Just like we cannot compare teens busted for weed and serial killers and act like they are criminals anyway and are all the same. She made a stupid mistake for whatever reason and paid a very heavy price for that. Was she a cheater a-la Barry Bond? What advantage did she get exactly? Do you know what Meldonium does? I bet you do not even know what it is.